Visiting WDW in September
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Visiting WDW in September

I'm going to WDW Sept. 16. What are some good tips/bits of advice for going that time of year? What is the weather usually like? Anything I shouldn't forget to pack? Any tips for fireworks/parades?
    Last edited by Disney_Lover_15; 07-05-2012 at 07:06 PM.

Re: WDW September Tips/Advice?

We went in September 2009 and let me tell you it was hot like 90° at 9 in the morning hot. A Lot of people told us that humidity was unseasonably high,but we all got through it and had a good time. Just drink lots of water and do more things inside like shows etc during the hottest parts of the day. We always pack lots of sunscreen and try to remember to apply it every few hours. You might want to get a hat or something to shade your face. I usually get a little sunburn on my face but between the sunscreen and hat I had none and my best friend who is very fair skinned didn't get a sunburn either.
    July 2000 All Star Movies
    December 2007 All Star Music
    September 2009 Pop Century
    June 2011 Port Orleans French Quarter

I almost always go in September and am going this year in Sept also!
    Be sure to bring a hat and plenty of sunblock, it gets very hot in September. It can also bring showers in the afternoons.
    The crowds will be relatively low so you will be able to ride everything with little to no wait times, however the free dining plan does bring in a few more people these days.
    You will love it!!
    ---------------------------
    ºoº
    Honeymooning at WDW in Sept 2012!

Be prepared to get wet but not to let it spoil your day!

In September, we found much more than just an afternoon shower. We found full-on storms which often lasted all afternoon - plus a few days when it rained all day. That may just have been bad luck though as I know lots who have never seen rain in September.

As others have said, humidity can also be very high which, coupled with high temps can make it all rather sweaty!

On the brighter side though - crowd levels are fantastically low so you'll get to do loads!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

We went in Sept. of 2010. Only had one afternoon of rain. Luckily we were at AK and it was time for us to head back to the resort. It poured as we were walking back to our bus. The kids said that was one of their favorite times in Disney! Lol! Definitely pack ponchos and take advantage of the lower crowds right after the rain.
    We are heading down in Sept. of this year too! Can't wait.

Disney rarely cancels parades/shows for rains. There's a reason they do them at 3pm (and some of that is weather related).

Pack a poncho and wear shoes that are comfortable and water proof and/or comfortable when wet (like Teva sandles).

A bit off topic, but with respect to footwear, do not wear shoes that are run down and also do not wear shoes that are brand new. Hiking/camping sandles/camping shoes are your best bet, I think. Make sure they are broken in before your visit. If you are buying shoes for the trip, I'd do a 2 - 3 mile walk a few times a week in them for at least a 90 day period to break them in. (there are other tips, like flexing the soles, etc)...but the reality is you should expect to walk 10 - 15 miles a day easy (total walking). So you should dress accordingly.

Blisters and sore feet are not fun.

I prefer to do the parks in hiking sandles with socks, Birkenstocks with socks (though those don't do well in water), or Tevas (no socks)

Taking an extra pair of socks on park is not a bad idea either if you suspect it will be wet. You can use the hand dryers in the restrooms to dry out your shoes, and then put on some dry socks. Also, it's always a good idea to bring some ziplocks in your day pack, and put water sensitive things in them (electronics, paper, etc).

I go in August, it's very similar weather. The rains really depend on what the Atlantic is doing at that time...so, you really should plan for wet and hope for dry. In either case, you'll have a blast. The lighter crowds and the coolness the rains bring is welcome. Just pack your poncho's and take care of your feet and have fun with it!
    Last edited by englanddg; 07-07-2012 at 12:49 AM.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Going the 15th. This is our first time going in September. I had planed to go the week after, but changed my mind when I tried to upgrade my room(we decided to bring my mother in law) to two beds instead of a king, and the hotel was completely booked, as was every other hotel in our price range. Did a little digging, and realized duh, it is the food and wine festival. We changed dates.

We have gone the middle of September for the last 5 years, and going this year too.. Knock on wood, but we have always had perfect weather and no rain. Around 85 daily.. Hot mid day but we always head back to the pool around lunch time and let the kids swim, then head back to the parks around 4-5. Being a hat, sunscreen and rain poncho incase you do get rain...

The first yet that we went was the week of Labor Day in 2008, Monday was busy but the rest of the week so good low crowds. The weather was hot but not to bad, it did rain one day but only for an hour or two and it was still beautiful and we were able to see shows. I think Sept is a great time to visit Disney!!
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack

I am going in September as well and I already have my umbrella and ponchos packed!! The weather report seems to suggest a lot of rain ahead!
    AusDisneyFan

We are going to be there the 15th! We have been in Sept in 09 and 10. I remember it raining only one day while we were there in 2010. It was when we were at Animal Kingdom. I am hoping that the hurricanes stay away and the rain also!

Leaving in 3 days!getting nervous about the weather...

You should be fine. Overcast / minor showers is actually a great thing at Disney, I think.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg
    You should be fine. Overcast / minor showers is actually a great thing at Disney, I think.
    Thanks for the assurance. Two years ago when we went a hurricane was supposed to hit but decided to go up the east coast. Only one short afternoon shower the whole trip. My kids cherish that memory of running to the bus with our ponchos on. Hope it's not crowded...

Quote Originally Posted by queenb

Thanks for the assurance. Two years ago when we went a hurricane was supposed to hit but decided to go up the east coast. Only one short afternoon shower the whole trip. My kids cherish that memory of running to the bus with our ponchos on. Hope it's not crowded...
    Rain should be fine its thunder that will shut
    down the rides it's a bummer really.
    If you stick to thew rides
    that are half like splash
    mountian or thunder
    or something you
    should be fine.
    or go through
    the golf ball( Space Ship Earth)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast