Visiting WDW in October
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Visiting WDW in October

It looks like we may have the chance to hit the world up in oct 2013. My wife's first time. I don't know it as well as u guys so my main question is are there any big events happening at Disney during oct (Disney or non Disney like star wars days) that would create bigger crowds? Know about the Halloween stuff n we'll probably do that but just wasn't sure if there were any other events we should be aware of. Thanks.

Epcot's Food and Wine Festival- makes Epcot more crowded on nights and weekends.

October is a great time for wdw! I hope you guys can make it. As said already there's mnsshp and food and wine festival. Along with that I think they have concert line up too like 38. Special, gin blossoms, boys to men etc. just not sure about the dates. I'll check into dates and get back to you.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Re: WDW in oct

Thanks much. Didn't realize the F&W fest was on during Oct. Looked at the website and that looks great. Wife was quite excited by that. Anything else from you guys would be greatly appreciated. We're DVC members so accommodation will be sorted. Never stayed in any of those resorts, so will be fun trying to pick which to do first. Home is Saratoga Springs.

Here's the eat to the beat line up I was talking about. It's a pretty good list!

-- September 28-30: Night Ranger
    -- October 1-3: Sugar Ray
    -- October 4-7: STARSHIP starring Mickey Thomas
    -- October 8-10: Boyz II Men
    -- October 11-12: Smash Mouth
    -- October 13-14: Javier Colon, winner of "The Voice"
    -- October 15-17: Air Supply
    -- October 18-19: Gin Blossoms
    -- October 20-21: Survivor
    -- October 22-23: Hanson
    -- October 24-25: The Pointer Sisters
    -- October 26-28: Sister Hazel
    -- October 29-31: Billy Ocean
    -- November 1-2: .38 Special
    -- November 3-4: Howard Jones LIVE
    -- November 5-6: Blues Traveler
    -- November 7-8: Dennis DeYoung, original member of the group STYX
    -- November 9-12: Big Bad Voodoo Daddy
    Last edited by Freshee61; 09-11-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Talk Disney Moderator

I wonder why Howard Jones is "LIVE"?

Surely they're all live???
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster
    I wonder why Howard Jones is "LIVE"?

Surely they're all live???
    Maybe they missed the s off! Howard Jones Lives.

Maybe. Lol!
    Just a dream away!

Yippee! November 1-2 is .38 special. I Hope I can catch their performance!!!!

Talk Disney Moderator

Ok, looks like it's happening. As of now, we have booked into our home resort at Saratoga Springs. We are going to be staying Oct 19-26 2013. We plan on doing a 7 night cruise (Fantasy) the week before this stay. So I'll be asking questions now. I don't know WDW nearly as well as all of you. I've been twice, once in summer 97, and one more time in Nov 2005 (I only went to Animal Kingdom that time). My wife has never been to WDW.
    SO, we are obviously DVC members. To better utilize our points, I'm going to try to switch resorts when we hit the 7 month window. Which resort would be better to stay in out of Animal Kingdom, Boardwalk Villas, or Old Key West?
    Next question is I have never ever considered doing a dining plan in Anaheim. So what would the best options be? We usually just do quick service places, but I think with more options we might want to try some of the sit down places, possibly like Be Your Guest in the new Fantasyland, etc...Any input is appreciated. I'm looking forward to planning some of this out. The wife is super excited!!! Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by A-heim Boy
    Ok, looks like it's happening. As of now, we have booked into our home resort at Saratoga Springs. We are going to be staying Oct 19-26 2013. We plan on doing a 7 night cruise (Fantasy) the week before this stay. So I'll be asking questions now. I don't know WDW nearly as well as all of you. I've been twice, once in summer 97, and one more time in Nov 2005 (I only went to Animal Kingdom that time). My wife has never been to WDW.
    SO, we are obviously DVC members. To better utilize our points, I'm going to try to switch resorts when we hit the 7 month window. Which resort would be better to stay in out of Animal Kingdom, Boardwalk Villas, or Old Key West?
    Next question is I have never ever considered doing a dining plan in Anaheim. So what would the best options be? We usually just do quick service places, but I think with more options we might want to try some of the sit down places, possibly like Be Your Guest in the new Fantasyland, etc...Any input is appreciated. I'm looking forward to planning some of this out. The wife is super excited!!! Thanks.
    First, Boardwalk or Animal Kingdom. OKW is nice, but near DTD. Were it my choice, I would do Boardwalk, simply due to location and proximity to the parks, but AKL is an amazing facility. So, if your choice is between those three, I would pick AKL or Boardwalk.

Second, I would highly recommend a dining plan. I do the Deluxe, but the Quick Service is fine too. The advantage of the deluxe, if you plan to eat at character or signature dining places, is that you can combine your credits to eat. You can do that with the QS plan as well, but since you only get one table service per day, it is more difficult to plan around. With the deluxe, it's easier...but costlier. I crunched the numbers, and if you make it a point to do some signature / character dines, you can easily recoup ,the cost of the plan.

Have fun!
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

I worked at the Boardwalk in Fall/Winter '05..I would say go with Boardwalk. There are two parks within walking (or boat) distance. Plus there's a nice atmosphere and nightlife right outside. Beaches & Cream Soda Shop is also a little walk around the lake.

As far as Dining plans...if you're used to doing Quick Service and want to try some Table Service places, go with the regular Dining Plan. One quick service meal and one table service meal per day (plus snacks). That way you can make reservations and have one sit down meal each day without feeling tied down with multiple reservations a day.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

Don't forget to try some of the resort restaurants. We went to Ohanas for the first time in Oct and its now a family favorite. Grandson requested it again for June. We have stayed a t many resorts but Boardwalk is our favorite .

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg
    You can do that with the QS plan as well, but since you only get one table service per day, it is more difficult to plan around.
    The QS plan doesn't include and table service meals. It's quick service only.

I think you're mixing it up with the standard dining plan.

We did that standard plan and found it fine. By the time we'd spent a few days at Universal, Sea World, the malls etc, and eaten out if WDW a few times (which we love doing), we had spare credits which we doubled up to eat at signature restaurants.

For us, the deluxe plan is a waste. I only do the dining plan if its free but I do find they tie you to WDW too much.
    Just a dream away!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    The QS plan doesn't include and table service meals. It's quick service only.

I think you're mixing it up with the standard dining plan.

We did that standard plan and found it fine. By the time we'd spent a few days at Universal, Sea World, the malls etc, and eaten out if WDW a few times (which we love doing), we had spare credits which we doubled up to eat at signature restaurants.

For us, the deluxe plan is a waste. I only do the dining plan if its free but I do find they tie you to WDW too much.
    Yes, I think I was confusing them. To me, the Deluxe is an easy value. A few signature dines and character dines, and I've paid for it.

But, agreed, it really depends on the plans for the trip and the individuals involved.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast