Visiting WDW in October - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by A-heim Boy
    Ok, looks like it's happening. As of now, we have booked into our home resort at Saratoga Springs. We are going to be staying Oct 19-26 2013. We plan on doing a 7 night cruise (Fantasy) the week before this stay. Thanks.
    Yeey, awesome

We'll be there too, doing the Fantasy Cruise after our WDW time, so we will be on the cruise oct 31st

As for Resorts, I would choose between AKL and Boardwalk. AKL is a beautiful Resort with great restaurants, but farther away from the other parks and DTD (exept AK ofcourse)
    Boardwalk is great too, with the big bonus that Epcot and HS are at walkingdistance. Big bonus, there are a lot of great TS restaurants at walking distance, at Boardwalk, Beach and Yachtclub, Swan and Dolphin and Epcot ofcourse. In Epcot will be the food and Wine festival.
    If you want to try the diningplan, go for the normal plan so you can try the TS restaurants for a great price. If you don't want to spent to much time on eating and don't want to have your days planned around eating, go for the QS diningplan, you can always pay for a TS meal. And you can always go to Be Our Guest for lunch, It's QS then.
    It all depends on how much time you want to spent on eating (remember you will already have had great dining on the Fantasy)
    Looking forward to our Disney vacations

Re: WDW in oct

Ok guys, looking at resorts....you can catch the monorail at Epcot to go to the Magic Kingdom, yes? And Epcot is an easy walk from the Boardwalk Villas? That is looking like the best option for us, right in the middle of everything from looking at the map. DVC'ers, what do you think our chances are of being able to switch from our home resort to Boardwalk Villas if we try to book right on the 7 month window? What with being the wine fest and Halloween, do you think we're likely to get the switch?

The Food and Wine fest is a big reason we're trying to do it around this time and not the other option we had in mind, so we definitely want to check that out. As well as the Halloween party at MK. I've not done anything like that at Disney before, and the whole trick or treating thing is not common for my wife (they don't really do it here in NZ, see it as an American thing) so she really wants to do that.

We'll have to check the dining plan out more, based on what we want to do. Thanks for all this so far guys.

Quote Originally Posted by A-heim Boy View Post
    Ok guys, looking at resorts....you can catch the monorail at Epcot to go to the Magic Kingdom, yes?
    You can - but from the Boardwalk Villas you'd have to walk to Epcot's International Gateway, enter the park in the World Showcase (between France and the UK), walk through the UK and Canada and down through Future World. Then you'd have to leave the park through the main entrance and walk to the monorail station.

From there, you'd take one monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center then switch to another monorail to MK.

It's not as direct as it sounds I'm afraid!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster

You can - but from the Boardwalk Villas you'd have to walk to Epcot's International Gateway, enter the park in the World Showcase (between France and the UK), walk through the UK and Canada and down through Future World. Then you'd have to leave the park through the main entrance and walk to the monorail station.

From there, you'd take one monorail to the Transportation and Ticket Center then switch to another monorail to MK.

It's not as direct as it sounds I'm afraid!
    And you would need to make sure your tickets are Park Hoppers to do this.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh

And you would need to make sure your tickets are Park Hoppers to do this.
    Very good point!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Ah, ok, so a different option to get to the Magic Kingdom would probably be better. We haven't fully looked at ticket prices yet, but I know the non park hopper ones are cheaper. We were considering those.
    On another note, we just booked our 7 night cruise on the Fantasy the week before we stay at WDW. Really looking forward to it!!!
    Dining plans...we really don't hit Disney to have a sit down meal usually. If we do a dining plan, the QS one might be better for us, cause I'm not sure that we would want to make an effort to do one table service place a day. We'd rather be exploring the parks. If we do any TS places, we might do one here or there, but that would probably be less likely. Hmmm, so much to think about...

Before you pay for a QS plan, do the math to see if its worth it for y'all. Estimate how much each meal would be for both of y'all for the whole trip and then see how much it cost to add to your package; it very well may add more to your package then the total it will cost out of pocket. When it comes to QS, I've learned that if we have to pay for it, it's not worth it for my family. We pay less out of pocket for food while there then what the plan would cost us. If its free, then it's always worth it, lol.

-HannahLeigh

Oh, and when it comes to Park Hoppers, yes a non hopper is cheaper but it would be less than $50 (usually) to add Park Hopper option for the whole trip

-HannahLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by A-heim Boy
    Ah, ok, so a different option to get to the Magic Kingdom would probably be better. We haven't fully looked at ticket prices yet, but I know the non park hopper ones are cheaper. We were considering those.
    On another note, we just booked our 7 night cruise on the Fantasy the week before we stay at WDW. Really looking forward to it!!!
    Dining plans...we really don't hit Disney to have a sit down meal usually. If we do a dining plan, the QS one might be better for us, cause I'm not sure that we would want to make an effort to do one table service place a day. We'd rather be exploring the parks. If we do any TS places, we might do one here or there, but that would probably be less likely. Hmmm, so much to think about...
    The dining plan works as a credit system, not a voucher one like DisneyLand. You get a pool of credits that you can use as you see fit throughout your stay.

Table service credits may be used at Quick Service locations, but not vice versa.

I find it a great value, but I eat at a lot of TS and signature dines when I go.

For budgeting, a quick service meal will cost you around $5 to $10 a head or so per meal. Table service will range from $20 to $30 a head. Signatures $30 to 50.

There is a lot of great TS at WDW, and it is scattered throughout the park, so I find it rarely distracts from a full day. I would not, however, spend a lot of time making ADRs. Maybe for a few locations that you really want to be sure to try, but after this last trip where I went ADR heavy, it really does impact your day.

Also, DTD restaurants accept the dining plan, and there are lots of TS and QS options out there.

Park Hopping is nice, but only for a long stay. Also, you can upgrade your tickets to park hoppers at any time, unless they have changed that policy, I would need to confirm that.

Regarding the monorail between Epcot and Magic Kingdom, it really isn't that convenient. If you are staying at Boardwalk, you will be better off taking the busses to get to MK, unless you happen to be park hopping and already spent your morning in Epcot.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh
    Oh, and when it comes to Park Hoppers, yes a non hopper is cheaper but it would be less than $50 (usually) to add Park Hopper option for the whole trip

I believe it's $57 per person to add it :-)

Although my favorite resort is akl ive heard good things about boardwalk. I would do bw first then maybe another time try akl. Try akl at least once in your life. We're glad we did. But boardwalk has some pluses like walking to the theme parks and night life right by hotel. Good luck choosing. Enjoy!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using TalkDisney

This is all great guys. Keep coming with any other suggestions. All things we need to look at. I have never ever done any kind of dining plan with Disney. So for me that is a pretty new concept so I really don't know what to expect from that value wise. As Hannah said, I've got to work out the amount of credits we get vs what we think we would spend otherwise. Hmm, so many options to look at....
    Last edited by A-heim Boy; 12-20-2012 at 03:02 AM.

If it's two adults going, I can make an easy case for at least the QS plan.

But, you will have fun regardless. I wouldn't worry too much about planning.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Well we are mostly booked in now. Plans changed slightly as now my mom and dad are joining us as well as my wife's mom who has never been to Orlando. We're all booked in old key west villa using our DVC points for mid oct. the week before we're on a cruise on the fantasy to western Caribbean. Can not wait. Just bought our park tickets too.

We stayed at Old Key West last Oct and we loved it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast