Disney Buses or driving? - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Disney Buses or driving?

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    Quick tip for the drivers on that one. As you're walking away from your car, take a quick photo of the sign at the end of the row so you don't have to remember where you parked.
    I learned that lesson several years ago when my friend and I lost the car. We were driving a rental SUV and couldn't even remember what kind it was (lol). All we knew is that it was silver or gray. We wandered around aimlessly for a while and even tried the key in several silver and gray SUVs. Finally, a CM security person came by because we obviously looked lost. He was able to locate our car just by finding out what time we arrived at the park. Ever since then, I take photos the sign and/or painted row info on the ground.

We always drive. Too many bad experiences with buses, like hour-long waits, being packed like sardines with sweaty guests who have never heard of deodorant, etc. Having the car is nice because it's our own private space to get away from the crowds and we can keep changes of clothes and shoes in the trunk. We usually have some Disney park music with us so we don't lose the magic when driving from park to park.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by Atlaxcorps
    Personally i am all about riding the buses at Disney. I like being able to get to the airport and then never worry about driving again. Yes it does get cramped now and again but I dont have to worry about where I parked or how to drive around WDW or even worry about getting gas. If I had to vote i would vote for the buses any day of the week.
    man that is true.
    I was small when we went these years
    '90,'91,92,93,94,'95,'96,'97
    I was 8 years old when i start remebering more
    98',99,00,01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10
    im 21 now in 2011 me and my wife start going alone.
    ,'11,'11,12

Buses. We drive nearly 12 hours to get there we refuse to drive to the parks. The only driving we do during the week there is when we go mini golf.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

Riding the Disney busses are better than driving when you are on the Disney busses I get the magical feeling that we are on our way to a theme park and gets me excited every time I get off and on a bus!! Best experience ever!!
    "All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them."

It's so interesting how people have such different feelings about the buses! For me, the buses take away from the magic because it's stressful and uncomfortable. The monorails and ferries, however, retain the magic for me.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh View Post
    Buses. We drive nearly 12 hours to get there we refuse to drive to the parks.
    I get that completely! We get to play in a new soft-top car in an area that's easy to drive in on roads that are different to us (from the UK) so there's a novelty factor there. If I had to drive for 12 hours in my own car on UK roads then I don't think I'd be quite so keen on driving at the parks!

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh View Post
    The only driving we do during the week there is when we go mini golf.
    Did you know you can get buses to the mini golf too?

For Fantasia Gardens, all you need do is get the bus to the Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin or Beach or Yacht Club then it's a few minutes walk to the golf course.

For Mickey's Winter Summerland, catch the Blizzard Beach bus and the entrance to the golf course is at the back of the parking lot.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    It's so interesting how people have such different feelings about the buses! For me, the buses take away from the magic because it's stressful and uncomfortable. The monorails and ferries, however, retain the magic for me.
    I couldn't agree more.

For me, there's nothing less magical than standing with tired and aching legs at the end of the day, wedged in, trying to hold myself up in a packed bus as we swing around corners, with the guy next to me's sweaty armpit next to my nose as he hangs onto the grab rail, and with kids screaming and bashing into me every 2 minutes as they kicks their legs.

For me, magic is dropping the roof, feeling the cool night air in my hair and listening to great music as we cruise home in comfort.

But that's just me!
    Just a dream away!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster
    Did you know you can get buses to the mini golf too?

For Fantasia Gardens, all you need do is get the bus to the Boardwalk, Swan and Dolphin or Beach or Yacht Club then it's a few minutes walk to the golf course.

For Mickey's Winter Summerland, catch the Blizzard Beach bus and the entrance to the golf course is at the back of the parking lot.
    Yes, I'm aware. But we like to go at night after park close on nights when the little one is still jumping around. Much easier to get back to the hotel then drive, rather than have to catch multiple buses to get back to our resort.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh
    Much easier to get back to the hotel then drive, rather than have to catch multiple buses to get back to our resort.
    Yep - that's certainly true!
    Just a dream away!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster
    We only use buses in the evenings or during the day when we know we'll have a drink with a meal (or without!).

What annoys me is places like the Boardwalk. It's billed as a night-time entertainment area and yet you can't get a bus from there back to your resort.

You have to go via DTD and the bus service there is farcical! It's complete chaos with no clear queuing system and a free-for-all whenever the buses turn up.
    I agree with that one, that you can't catch a bus back to the resort, but I'm okay with walking. But I love buses so much more than cars Because I feel that the magic is always there. Even when it gets cramped, I'm near family members so it's less awkward when I bump into one of them. I'm always whistling "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me!" just to increase the excitement (hey, I'm still a tween, and I'm a Disney lover!)
    -Minnie E. Mouse

I was thinking more about this topic, and I think the main reason why the busses don't bother me much is because we don't use them very much throughout our trip. We tend to stay at the Epcot resorts, after we found them, so we walk to HS, and Epcot, and to get to MK we walk to Epcot and take the monorail. So really we only take a bus to AK, and DTD.
    DCP Fall Advantage 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie E. Mouse

I agree with that one, that you can't catch a bus back to the resort, but I'm okay with walking.
    That's fine if you're staying in an Epcot area hotel but there's only a handful of resorts within walking distance of the Boardwalk (and only SSR close to DTD).

I think Disney could really improve the Boardwalk by (amongst other things) introducing a resort bus service.

Quote Originally Posted by Minnie E. Mouse
    I'm always whistling "Yo Ho, Yo Ho, a pirate's life for me
    Lol - yep! There's the reason we drive!

There's nothing more irritating than someone whistling in your ear all the way home - lol!

(sorry - just kidding!)

Still, I do agree that the buses are better for MK - especially at closing time.

Sure - there's a huge line and the buses are packed with screaming kids (usually as parents have kept them up too late as the parents wanted to see the fireworks!) and sweaty (and whistling!) adults but at least it's just one short ride home.

If you drive to MK and leave at closing time, you have the same huge line for the monorail and the screaming kids and sweaty people packed in around you but then you have to get a tram at the other end - and then drive after that.

That's when the buses really are better (or maybe I should say "less bad"?) than taking the car.
    Just a dream away!

We like to take the bus, boat and monorail.
    This way we don't have to worry to get lost or where we have to go for fuel.

What I was thinking, when the park closes, traffic must be very busy, doesn't it take a long time to go from the parkinglot?
    (as in the Netherlands it's desaster when you go right after closingtime at any amusementpark/zoo).
    But roads etc are very different here
    Looking forward to our Disney vacations

Quote Originally Posted by MINI Mouse View Post
    We like to take the bus, boat and monorail.
    This way we don't have to worry to get lost or where we have to go for fuel.

What I was thinking, when the park closes, traffic must be very busy, doesn't it take a long time to go from the parkinglot?
    Disney parking lots are amazingly quick to clear as they are so well planned.

It may be the time of year that we go (early May) but we have never been caught in a traffic jam anywhere on Disney property.

I also find the roads very well sign posted and, by occasionally (in fact very rarely these days) using a map too, we very rarely get lost - and even when we do, it's easy to follow the signs back to civilization. I find theme parks are virtually impossible to miss on the way out and, if we get lost on the way home, we just follow the signs to the DTD area and before you know it, we recognise the roads around POR (where we always stay).

I guess it helps us that we always stay in the same resort too so the roads to and from the parks and other attractions are pretty familiar these days.

As for gas, I know this is different for a lot of people but as we go off-property a lot (Universal, Sea World and many days for meals), we always pass the gas station at DTD so filling up is very easy too.

It works really well for us - but I appreciate others do WDW differently and want other things from their trip. The good thing is that WDW Caters for everyone!
    Just a dream away!

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice
    I can see why you would say that but the buses for alot of people is part of the Disney experience if your at the resorts. I understand on busy days during the busy season it can be hectic but so can the parking, especially when you have to fight traffic on the way to park, fight drivers in the parking area and then have to fight to get on the tram unless you park close. To me when you ride the bus if there is any struggling it's only one time and you don't even have to drive.

Sent from my EvO 3D using TalkDisney

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast