Disney Buses or driving? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Disney Buses or driving?

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesusa View Post
    I can see why you would say that but the buses for alot of people is part of the Disney experience if your at the resorts. I understand on busy days during the busy season it can be hectic but so can the parking, especially when you have to fight traffic on the way to park, fight drivers in the parking area and then have to fight to get on the tram unless you park close. To me when you ride the bus if there is any struggling it's only one time and you don't even have to drive.
    It's a good point - although I wonder if us drivers sometimes over-estimate the inconvenience of the buses and similarly, the non-drivers over-estimate the inconvenience of driving.

I can honestly say that I have never been aware of any of the issues regarding bad road signage, getting lost, filling up with gas, heavy traffic, remembering parking places, traffic queues and aggressive driver issues mentioned by some posters despite more trips to WDW than I can remember - during all of which we have driven.

That makes me wonder whether, having tried to avoid the buses as much as possible, I have over-inflated the bad points of Disney transport in my mind just through not actually using them on a regular basis.

Maybe - just maybe - neither option is as bad as we're making out here?

Maybe!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Eh, I can see your point Winkster. I'm one of the few that has both used the resort buses (on multiple family trips through the years) and driven to the parks (worked at WDW for a year and a half and everyday off was at the parks). When I worked there, I hates the guests parking lots. The tram drove me crazy because people are inconsiderate and will walk right past you and push you out the way to get aboard before you do. When visiting MK, I would park at the Contemporary and walk to the park. I loathe the parking trams.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh View Post
    I loathe the parking trams.
    They're not the best, that's for sure!

We tend to either get on quick while people with push chairs, bags, kids etc are gathering up their worldly possessions or we hang back and let everyone else fight for places then hop on after the rush.

It's amazing how people fight when there's loads of space!
    Just a dream away!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster

It's amazing how people fight when there's loads of space!
    Maybe when y'all go there is, but I was there to witness every peak season Disney has. Summer and holiday weeks the tran fills quickly and you often get stuck waiting for a second tram to arrive.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

I used to love the parking trams until the put doors on em.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh

Maybe when y'all go there is, but I was there to witness every peak season Disney has. Summer and holiday weeks the tran fills quickly and you often get stuck waiting for a second tram to arrive.
    I can imagine the place is pretty busy at peak season - eeek!

I agree about the tram doors - at least I did until I was almost flung out on the bend under the bridge by the TTC. I was almost a gonner!!
    Just a dream away!

Don't you have toay to park the car if you drive to the parks each day?
    Barisaxylady
    November 2012 Art of Animation!
    2007 Pop Century,
    2006 All Star Music (brought my high school band)
    1998 Port Orleans, 1996 off property, band chaperon
    1989 off property, High School Band trip, 1987 off property, High School Band trip
    1985 off property, with family, 1983 off property, with family

Quote Originally Posted by Barisaxy View Post
    Don't you have toay to park the car if you drive to the parks each day?
    Not if you're staying at a WDW resort hotel.

WDW resort guests get free parking at all parks and hotels.
    Just a dream away!

I like the busses, but they can get crowded.

I'm a driving kinda guy... I rent a car... And I like to drive because the buses often take forever... I rent from either budget or enterprise because its cheaper...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

Quote Originally Posted by jnota0005dakmc
    I'm a driving kinda guy... I rent a car... And I like to drive because the buses often take forever... I rent from either budget or enterprise because its cheaper...
    That is one reason to drive... Avoid the sometimes long wait at the buses. Don't forget that Alamo rentacar has a location within Disney right by the magic kingdom entrance.

Sent from my EvO 3D using TalkDisney

Although i love to drive i use bus transportation 98% of the time. We have annual pass so we usually pick times when it's not busy and take it easy. Plus we save on gas and the hectic parking and having to take tram too. Plus the kids love the buses so it keeps them happy and at a day when we're all tired the buses are a life saver. Only time we use our car is to go into Orlando or kissimmee like to a restaurant.

Sent from my EvO 3D using TalkDisney

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster

It's a good point - although I wonder if us drivers sometimes over-estimate the inconvenience of the buses and similarly, the non-drivers over-estimate the inconvenience of driving.

I can honestly say that I have never been aware of any of the issues regarding bad road signage, getting lost, filling up with gas, heavy traffic, remembering parking places, traffic queues and aggressive driver issues mentioned by some posters despite more trips to WDW than I can remember - during all of which we have driven.

That makes me wonder whether, having tried to avoid the buses as much as possible, I have over-inflated the bad points of Disney transport in my mind just through not actually using them on a regular basis.

Maybe - just maybe - neither option is as bad as we're making out here?

Maybe!
    Agreed. What I like is that there are options on both ends. Personally, I love the busses. I haven't had any bad edperiences on them. We have also driven and it was ok. I don't love driving so I enjoy not needing to do that on vacation. I also like that I don't have to get into a hot car that's been sitting out in the sun all day.

I have had bad experiences on the busses, but I have also had very good ones.

It is nice, after a long day with a tired kid, to be able to relax on a bus. Very nice. However, sometimes the queues can be tiring and trying, and sometimes there are nasty people in line or on the bus.

It is like any public transit, I suspect, you have to counter the good with the bad.

Myself, were I going alone with another adult, as Winkster does, I would probably prefer to drive. But, going as a single parent with a kid, I adore the fact I don't have to deal with it. Letting her pass out on my lap while I mentally zone out on the trip back to the hotel is fantastic. I also, don't like to drive in foreign places to me (long story as to why I hate driving), so the convenience is sublime.

I would add that if I was going with a larger group or a young child, or disabled / elderly I would NOT recommend the busses.

However, for my purposes, they work fantastically well!
    Last edited by englanddg; 12-02-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

I've used the buses on every WDW trip I've taken and I have no complaints. I especially love the "Magical Express" trip to and from the airport, which is, amazingly, free.
    The fact that I live in California and have to drive constantly in often stressful conditions adds to me wanting to have my transportation provided for on my vacation.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast