Thanksgiving Week
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thanksgiving Week

We usually travel to WDW during "off peak" times, the crowds and the wait times are minimal. Next year we are thinking about Thanksgiving week, are the crowds big and wait times long for the attractions? Just wondering, thanks.

I'll give you our experiences.... What was and could or 2 different things. Disney tries to fill the slow times by offering , free dining, room discounts etc to fill the void.... After Thanksgiving thru the first week used to be lags back and fairly uncrowded, same for the week before.... But like everything Disney, it's all subjective... What I call crowded someone else will say thin crowds ...but we have noticed a huge increase in guests, to the point we don't bother scheduling a stay then....

So far, we've been pleasantly pleased with the middle of September thru October.... Even with free dining offered then.... Parks still feel empty... Just remember others my experience the opposite....any more you just don't know and as for crowd predictions .....I don't believe in any kind of predictions!!

I have travelled to WDW during this time just after thanksgiving weekend... It has always been a low attendance time in the past... The past few years I have noticed that the Pop Warner football tournaments at the Wide World if Sports Complex have caused a rise in attendance... It still seems to be lower than when I travel in August, but it is rising...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

I have been during Thanksgiving week and I found it to be very crowded with long wait times. I also usually travel off-peak and it was much different. If you do go I would recommend booking a place for Thanksgiving dinner as early as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by flpantherfan
    I have been during Thanksgiving week and I found it to be very crowded with long wait times. I also usually travel off-peak and it was much different. If you do go I would recommend booking a place for Thanksgiving dinner as early as possible.
    My trips always started the Monday after thanksgiving... The crowds are much lower once the thanksgiving weekend ends...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!

Quote Originally Posted by jnota0005dakmc

My trips always started the Monday after thanksgiving... The crowds are much lower once the thanksgiving weekend ends...
    That is when we usually go, but I was thinking of spending my birthday week, it's actually on Thanksgiving next year, in WDW.

Ouch... That's gonna be a busy week... Thanksgiving always is... As long as the kids are off from school...
    -Walt Disney

-Walt Disney

Re: Thanksgiving Week

Speaking of Thanksgiving week, we are arriving at WDW the Friday before Thanksgiving day and leaving the day before Thanksgiving. We normally go in the begining of Nov., but wanted to try something different this year. I am hoping I will not regret this decision. I figure it can't be as crowded as Christmas week and I am thinking that Thanksgiving weekend is bussier than the days prior. I guess I am going to find out.

Quote Originally Posted by JennSpencer
    Speaking of Thanksgiving week, we are arriving at WDW the Friday before Thanksgiving day and leaving the day before Thanksgiving. We normally go in the begining of Nov., but wanted to try something different this year. I am hoping I will not regret this decision. I figure it can't be as crowded as Christmas week and I am thinking that Thanksgiving weekend is bussier than the days prior. I guess I am going to find out.
    Enjoy the trip, and if you remember, could you post back and let me know how it was. Thanks.

I'm looking from some input from anyone who spent Thanksgiving week in WDW. I'm getting ready to book our trip for this week in 2013 and would appreciate any insight from someone who has been during the same time. I would really love to go the week after Thanksgiving, but I'm a teacher so I don't think that this is an option. Also which resort would you recommend for the Christmas decorations? Thanks!
    Last edited by txmomx2; 02-11-2013 at 11:04 PM.

Re: Thanksgiving Trip

We went to WDW Thanksgiving 2010. My hubby & DS arrived the tuesday before thanksgiving and the rest of us arrived Thanksgiving morning (I am a teacher too, so time off is tough). We all stayed till the Tuesday after Thanksgiving.

We stayed at PO Riverside, which was gorgeous for the holidays!! But we spent time seeing the other resort decorations tooby booking ADRs there. Be sure to visit Grand Floridian. The Gingerbread house is out of this world! All the resort and park holiday decorations are in full swing by then. We even attended MVMCP that week, and I would definitely recommend it!!

The crowds were pretty busy Thanksgiving day, we spent the day at EPCOT because it is so spread out and didn't feel as crowded. As the weekend went on the crowds lessened, and Monday and Tuesday seemed empty in comparison.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

We usually have the whole week off, so we would probably arrive the Saturday before Thanksgiving (or possibly late Friday night) and leave on Black Friday. I was hoping to get free dining, but I know that it's usually blacked out beginning the Friday before thanksgiving. I've been wondering if we could book our rooms beginning the Thursday before Thanksgiving even though we wouldn't arrive until Friday night just so we could get the free dining. I don't mind paying for an extra night at the hotel that we don't need if it means free dining for a week. Has anyone ever done this? Or would at least one person from our party have to check in on the first day of the reservation?

Re: Thanksgiving Trip

When we went we got free dining (had to book check-in by the Tuesday before Thanksgiving (which is the other reason we sent hubby and DS ahead of us). I called to ask the same thing about booking room and arriving day late, and I was told they only hold reservation till midnight of check-in date and then you lose it.

Hopefully they keep the same dates so you can take advantage of free dining. If not, could you consider sending one or two members of your party a day early?
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

My favorite time to visit. The weather is still nice and you can enjoy the Christmas decorations. We have to go the week of be because of school. We have not had trouble with crowds. As far as resorts we stayed at Polynesian and Animal Kingdom (Kidani Village) week of Thanksgiving and liked both. We have eaten out once for Thanksgiving and ordered Boston Market one time and had it delivered to our room. No matter were you stay make sure you make time to stop at some of the other resorts to check out Christmas decorations. My kids loved swimming on Thanksgiving day...we can't do that in Ohio!!

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbellsmom
    When we went we got free dining (had to book check-in by the Tuesday before Thanksgiving (which is the other reason we sent hubby and DS ahead of us). I called to ask the same thing about booking room and arriving day late, and I was told they only hold reservation till midnight of check-in date and then you lose it.

Hopefully they keep the same dates so you can take advantage of free dining. If not, could you consider sending one or two members of your party a day early?
    I figured as much. Out of everyone, my dad would have the most luck getting off and may be able to go up a day ahead if necessary. Thanks for the info.

I'm getting ready to sign my parents and husband up for Disney email so maybe we'll get an amazing email offer and won't have to worry about it (wishful thinking). I'm a big time planner and am anxious to start looking at our options for this trip so I can at least book for now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast