Planning a Family Reunion
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Planning a Family Reunion

Hi everyone!
    I'm trying to plan a family reunion for 14 families (46 people). This is my first time planning a WDW trip and family reunion. Does anyone have any tips? Trying to get the most we can while spending as little as we can.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Lover_15
    Hi everyone!
    I'm trying to plan a family reunion for 14 families (46 people). This is my first time planning a WDW trip and family reunion. Does anyone have any tips? Trying to get the most we can while spending as little as we can.
    46 people? Wow!

For a group that large, I would probably contact a certified Disney travel planner, as opposed to trying to plan it yourselves.

Not sure what your budget looks like, but I'd try and make it at least a 14 - 20 day thing if you can...with that many people, and the "reunion" aspect, you are going to want to split up, and yet still have "group time" , I suspect.

I'd look into the cabins at Fort Wilderness. 1 cabin will easily sleep a family of 4-6, and they have kitchenettes in them, and lounging areas so the kids and cousins can play and hang out while gramma takes a nap.

Or, look into AoA. The family suites would be perfect for you all, I suspect.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg

46 people? Wow!

For a group that large, I would probably contact a certified Disney travel planner, as opposed to trying to plan it yourselves.

Not sure what your budget looks like, but I'd try and make it at least a 14 - 20 day thing if you can...with that many people, and the "reunion" aspect, you are going to want to split up, and yet still have "group time" , I suspect.

I'd look into the cabins at Fort Wilderness. 1 cabin will easily sleep a family of 4-6, and they have kitchenettes in them, and lounging areas so the kids and cousins can play and hang out while gramma takes a nap.

Or, look into AoA. The family suites would be perfect for you all, I suspect.
    I actually just added two to that, haha. I just found a travel agent and I'm doing my homework too . I just found that Old Key West has rooms for 12 people! Still researching though. I know this probably won't happen but I'm trying to keep the price under or around $2,000. So if you have any money saving tips, please share! oh, and I was thinking of just doing a week, because of the budget issue. Depending on deals I find, I may check into 2 weeks.
    Last edited by Disney_Lover_15; 10-05-2012 at 11:41 PM.

I actually just added two to that, haha. I just found a travel agent and I'm doing my homework too . I just found that Old Key West has rooms for 12 people! Still researching though. I know this probably won't happen but I'm trying to keep the price under or around $2,000. So if you have any money saving tips, please share! oh, and I was thinking of just doing a week, because of the budget issue. Depending on deals I find, I may check into 2 weeks.
    2k per person? Or 2k per family? No way 50 people are going for 2k! Well, unless you have a LOT of Disney Visa Rewards!

This will sound odd, but for a group that large, I wouldn't get too much into penny pinching. I'd definitely do one of the dining plans, for everyone's ease. At this stage in planning, I'd be more concerned about mass family events and crowd control / staying in touch.

I'd start with...what will everyone want / should do as a group, and work backwards from there.

For example...Wishes...is the whole group gonna do it? On the same night? Where will you sit? How will you reserve enough space?

Family meals? I'd imagine you all want a few of these, since it is the big reunion? Where to go?

I'd start with those concerns before cost, as once you've nailed down WHAT you are going to do, it's far easier to figure out a cost effective way to do so.

Hope that helps?
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

2k a family. I just checked at value resorts for a week for my family of four and that's not gonna happen. I'm hoping that there will be discounts around then though. And actually, this reunion is only a possibility. Whether or not it happens depends on the cost. I've got my parents to convince and other parents in the family. So it only happens if the price is right, sadly. I'm gonna get the basic cost then see if anyone wants to add or remove anything for them. Do it kinda by family. Which the TA is helping with. Plus, there are some people who I think will back out. But you never know. I just really hope I can find the right price because we haven't had a reunion in around 10 years give or take a few years.

Just thought of something, do you think it'd be worth looking into staying off property? We've always stayed on property, and I know the benefits of staying on property, so I've never experienced life at Disney off property.
    Last edited by Disney_Lover_15; 10-06-2012 at 12:29 AM.

Re: Planning a Family Reunion

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Lover_15 View Post
    Just thought of something, do you think it'd be worth looking into staying off property? We've always stayed on property, and I know the benefits of staying on property, so I've never experienced life at Disney off property.
    I was actually just about to suggest that. However, the Disney Transport is a great value, and will allow individual families their own "alone time" without having to mess with rental cars, etc...

What time of year are you planning on trying to do this?
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

I was actually just about to suggest that. However, the Disney Transport is a great value, and will allow individual families their own "alone time" without having to mess with rental cars, etc...

What time of year are you planning on trying to do this?
    In the summer. We have 10 kids/teens going and we don't want to interrupt school. Don't want to try fall/spring/winter break because we live in different states and I don't know if they are the same time or not. I was thinking sometime in July.

In the summer. We have 10 kids/teens going and we don't want to interrupt school. Don't want to try fall/spring/winter break because we live in different states and I don't know if they are the same time or not. I was thinking sometime in July.
    For cost, I'd stay clear of July. I'd try mid to late August...both for crowds and cost.

These links might help you, if you haven't already viewed them:

Rooms for 5 Guests or More | Walt Disney World Resort

Walt Disney World 2013 Price Seasons
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

For cost, I'd stay clear of July. I'd try mid to late August...both for crowds and cost.

These links might help you, if you haven't already viewed them:

Rooms for 5 Guests or More | Walt Disney World Resort

Walt Disney World 2013 Price Seasons
    I would but the schools go back in august. Don't wanna interrupt school and thanks, I'm actually looking at that site now

I would but the schools go back in august. Don't wanna interrupt school and thanks, I'm actually looking at that site now
    My pleasure. Considering only 1/5th of your group is going to be children, have you put any thought into what the adults (I'm assuming all range of ages, with a family that large) are going to do/be interested in?

This is a slightly more costly option, but considering your group size and age ranges/interests...have you thought about a Disney Cruise instead of the World?
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

My pleasure. Considering only 1/5th of your group is going to be children, have you put any thought into what the adults (I'm assuming all range of ages, with a family that large) are going to do/be interested in?

This is a slightly more costly option, but considering your group size and age ranges/interests...have you thought about a Disney Cruise instead of the World?
    Actually, no I haven't. I've never done the cruise before and, to be honest, unless I hear something on the Disney websites I check, I almost forget about them! I'm gonna go look up some info on that too, thanks. Have you ever done it? If you have, what was it like?

Actually, no I haven't. I've never done the cruise before and, to be honest, unless I hear something on the Disney websites I check, I almost forget about them! I'm gonna go look up some info on that too, thanks. Have you ever done it? If you have, what was it like?
    I haven't. I'm going on my first one next year (if the plan holds). Western Caribbean on the Disney Fantasy followed by 10 days at the World. It will be a first cruise for me and the kid.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Cool! Sounds like fun! I think I'll just go with WDW for this trip. Less expensive, which is what we need. Thanks for the idea though!

Cool! Sounds like fun! I think I'll just go with WDW for this trip. Less expensive, which is what we need. Thanks for the idea though!
    I excited for it. The reason I brought it up is that the daily activities are a bit more...rigid and planned on the cruise, with excursions on stop offs being a break from that. The Disney ships have done a great job of isolating environments for different age groups as well...so, the kids can be off having a blast in their own private clubs, while the teens pretend they are cool at their own chaperoned environment, and gramma can still nap in the room...

But, everyone can meet up for dinner and fireworks.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Cool! I think I may check into that a little later down the road. It sounds really fun

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast