Is Seaworld worth it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Is Seaworld worth it?

We are planning on taking a day off during our week at Disney to go to Seaworld. With cost of car rental and park tickets, it is going to cost us about $400 to go there. Is Seaworld really worth it? Haven't been there in about 25 years. Think my kids will love it but that is alot of money for one day.

Any advice would be appreciated. We are going the first week of November.

Personally I do not think its worth it. I have been there once only because I had family working there. Once you pay for a taxi or pay for a car to rent ... truely not worth the extra money.
    -Coach Alec S

I think it's hard for anyone to tell you if it's worth it without knowing you.

For all we know, you could be the worlds biggest shark fan and think it's worth the $400 just to go in the shark tunnel.

We've always done Sea World on our trips. There's never been a trip when we haven't.

Having said that, if it wasn't for the new area they're building now, I think we might have skipped it this year. The shows are getting old now - you can change the story in the background but a whale jumping in the same pool is still a whale jumping in the same pool.

I've seen giant tortoises and flamingos. I've been lucky enough to swim with dolphins so just seeing them in a pool is a but "meh!" now.

The rides are good but I can do rides that are equally as good at Universal where I find we have more fun.

$400 seems pricey for what you'll see but I guess that depends on how many of you are going, when you last went and what you like.

Is it worth the $75 ticket cost ($67 for kids)? As part of a vacation - yes, especially if you have never been or haven't been for a long time. I do think its over-priced but then isn't everything on vacation (look at Disney!).

Between Disney, Universal and Sea World though, Sea World is my least favorite park these days.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

We always take a day out from the Disney magic and do a day at sea world
    They do have a lot of shows to see which can take up a good chunk of your day

Re: Is Seaworld worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Barisaxy View Post
    We are planning on taking a day off during our week at Disney to go to Seaworld. With cost of car rental and park tickets, it is going to cost us about $400 to go there. Is Seaworld really worth it? Haven't been there in about 25 years. Think my kids will love it but that is alot of money for one day.

Any advice would be appreciated. We are going the first week of November.
    We did SW in April the same way. It was GREAT!!!!!!!! well worth it.

Seaworld is definitely a nice place to visit. They have good shows, good food, and if you love marine animals it will be worth it.
    The price is a lil steep maybe you can try to find some discounts-aaa?
    don't forget to ride mantra and kracken!!!! Those coasters are AWESOME!
    Have a great time.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Can't imagine a visit to Florida without a vist to Sea World. As a family we absolutely love it! However, we visited with friends this year and they were more on the "meh" side of the fence. They probably will never visit again. Different strokes for different folks really. We get our entry through our Discovery Cove visit as we always like to go there for a rest day in the middle of our trip.
    If you can dream it you can do it.....

It's definitely worth it if it's your first time or are visiting Florida. It's a different experience than most theme parks. As a Florida resident i got a little bit tired of it but i love their roller coasters. I'm thinking of getting the annual pass again due to some new things they have added and will be adding. Plus i love the manta roller coaster. Only of it's kind in Florida.

Sent from my EvO 3D using TalkDisney

I haven't been in 15 years, and I don't plan to go soon. But, it's a fun park, as is LegoLand (Cyprus Gardens), and everything else in the area.

If its your first trip back in a while, I would skip it. But, as Winkster pointed out, that really depends on your family, and what you all find entertaining.

My first real trip back, in 2010, I hadn't been in nearly 15 years to WDW, and while a lot was the same, a LOT was different. I did do 1 day at Universal and 1 at Hollywood Studios with my parents in jan 2004, but I barely remember those trips. Coming back to the "World" in 2010, I found plenty to do on property, without having to go off property.

I thought about sea world several times in the planning stages, but like you, the cost vs the benefit, I could not justify, now that we are going into trip four to WDW, Sea World is far more attractive.

For that money, if you are intent on going off park, Id recommend Universal and IoA. They have really stepped up their game over their, and Universal is going through major renovations.

In any case, you all will have fun, and that's all that matters, right?
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

My husband won't give me an answer on whether or not we should scrap Seaworld. AAA has a deal if you buy your tickets online, you get a free meal which will help with cost. Just found out how to use public transportation so we can nix the rental car and still stop at some cheap souvie shops on the way back. Don't have to make definite decision until a few days before we leave so we can print out the Seaworld tickets. I really want to go but I just wish it wasn't so darn expensive.

Sea World is expensive and it is difficult to see all the shows in one day. I have tried to make all the shows in one day and it was not possible so I would say choose wisely the shows you want to see. Personally I didn't think the dolphin show was worth my time especially with kids. The other shows are great and the kids enjoyed them much more.

Also feeding the dolphins, stingrays, and seal lions are tons of fun, but it does cost to feed them. Of course they take pictures of you feeding the dolphins and how can you not buy them, especially if it's your first time doing it. So there is another cost.

Bottom line if you have the money, then go for it. It is worth it, but I do suggest opening and closing the park to get very penny's worth. I understand your delemia.

Quote Originally Posted by JennSpencer
    Also feeding the dolphins, stingrays, and seal lions are tons of fun, but it does cost to feed them. Of course they take pictures of you feeding the dolphins and how can you not buy them, especially if it's your first time doing it..
    All you do is take your own photos. There's no reason at all to buy theirs.

As for shows, we've seen the Shamu show, Blue Horizons (dolphins, acrobats, fountains etc - very theatrical), pets ahoy and Clyde and Seymour and still left the park by 3pm having seen pretty much everything including riding all the rides (other than Journey to Atlantis as we got completely soaked on it before!).

We always either go shopping or head back to Epcot afterwards. I've never found it a rope-drop to closing park (although we do try and arrive for rope-drop).
    Just a dream away!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    All you do is take your own photos. There's no reason at all to buy theirs.
    This is true, however theirs are usually better and I personally can't resist buying them. I think what usually happens with us is that we spend so much time with the stingrays, dolphins, and some of the other pavilions that we just can't fit all the shows. Also when we were there I think 2 of the shows only ran 2 times that day or something and we had other things planned for those times. It's awesome that you were able to do everything in one day. Maybe I am dragging too many kids around! Still can't beat Disney, though for cleanliness and customer service!

Quote Originally Posted by JennSpencer

This is true, however theirs are usually better and I personally can't resist buying them. I think what usually happens with us is that we spend so much time with the stingrays, dolphins, and some of the other pavilions that we just can't fit all the shows. Also when we were there I think 2 of the shows only ran 2 times that day or something and we had other things planned for those times. It's awesome that you were able to do everything in one day. Maybe I am dragging too many kids around! Still can't beat Disney, though for cleanliness and customer service!
    Ah - I have a solution that often works there. I take hundreds of photos. I work on the basis that somewhere, one will come out well!

And I really do know what you mean about the dolphin and ray pools. It's so easy to lose track of time there.

The two shows a day thing is always there when we go too - and it does restrict us a bit. But yep, you're right - we're not trying to manoeuvre a herd of kids around the park. It's just the two of us.

I admire you (and all parents!) for that one!!
    Just a dream away!

Sea World was always a favourite of ours over the years but this year I found it old and too busy. The new attraction (turtle trek) was very poor IMO as it was basically a tank of marine life (which is fine) but we were crammed in with loads of other people, no where to sit and we couldn't hear the lady talking as the crowd noise was too loud. It would have been much more peaceful having it as a walk through.

We also found the park tiresome due to the kids. We (stupidly) thought it would be a breeze but it was wasted on a two year old and a four month old ( what isn't!).

As we get these park tickets as a package from the UK we can visit as many times as we like but if we had to pay each day, I would seriously consider skipping this park. IOA and Universal are much better, as is Busch Gardens.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast