CP vs. Part Time Job

CP vs. Part Time Job

I'm looking into colleges and I'm having a hard time finding schools that participate in the WDW CP. I was just wondering it would be easier/better to just go to school and then have a part time job at WDW? Share your opinions please

Re: CP vs. Part Time Job

You can go to any school and do the CP. You may not get credit for doing the program, but you can still do the CP.

That being said- if you are a local, I would definitely try for PT. If you live out of state, I would go for the CP
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

I've never really understood the purpose if the College Program.

Is it a program designed to take young people from colleges and give them an opportunity to work in a number of areas at Disney with a view to kick-starting a career with the company? Or is it (as it sometimes seems) just a pixie-dust sprinkled name for work experience where Disney can draw in large numbers of short term, cheap labour with minimal recruitment costs?

If it's the former and the CP does aim to get Disney careers off on the right footing, why would anyone just go and work a regular part-time job at WDW? Isn't there a danger then that you'd get stuck doing some dead-end role with no prospects?

Is there a plan with the CP? Is there any development structure with defined aims and goals?

I'm just trying to understand the difference and hopefully help Disney_Lover_15 out in the process.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    I've never really understood the purpose if the College Program.

Is it a program designed to take young people from colleges and give them an opportunity to work in a number of areas at Disney with a view to kick-starting a career with the company? Or is it (as it sometimes seems) just a pixie-dust sprinkled name for work experience where Disney can draw in large numbers of short term, cheap labour with minimal recruitment costs?

If it's the former and the CP does aim to get Disney careers off on the right footing, why would anyone just go and work a regular part-time job at WDW? Isn't there a danger then that you'd get stuck doing some dead-end role with no prospects?

Is there a plan with the CP? Is there any development structure with defined aims and goals?

I'm just trying to understand the difference and hopefully help Disney_Lover_15 out in the process.
    The College Program is a paid internship at WDW (and also at DL) for a semester. You get housing and transportation, and lots of perks. Now while the CP doesn't guarantee a higher-up position, it does help to get a foot in the door (and lots of higher-up managers/leaders have done the CP at one point). The CP also looks good on a resume, which is what a lot of people do if they don't want to go FT at Disney

That being said, there is nothing wrong with being PT. I know lots of CMs who are
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

Excellent! Thanks for shedding light on that Joanna!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

You're welcome!
    TD Moderator

Thanks for the info everyone! I'm thinking I may just try to get a PT job. Does anyone know of a website with info on Disney jobs?

Quote Originally Posted by Disney_Lover_15 View Post
    Thanks for the info everyone! I'm thinking I may just try to get a PT job. Does anyone know of a website with info on Disney jobs?
    You can search available Disney jobs here, including Theme Park openings:

The Walt Disney Company Home | Jobs and Careers
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA