First time driver in USA... Tips welcome - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice
    A few more tips from someone who lives in Florida...

Right turns on red are allowed, but make sure there isn't a "No Right Turn on Red" sign. Sometimes they can be a little easy to miss. But they're not that common.
    I wanted to comment on right turn on red.

You can make a right turn at a red light at most intersections AFTER you have come to a full and complete stop. Don't just slow down and tap the breaks, check for traffic and keep rolling. That can lead to a ticket for running a red light.

Be sure you stop fully. Then check for traffic. Then go.
    Last edited by englanddg; 02-07-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

i would like to add that when you do use your blinker( turn signal ) some people, if not most will accelerate instead of letting you through.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

englanddg has a good point. Make sure you stop before turning right!

And Freshee...OMG, yes!!! People can be so rude on the road. I try to always be courteous when I drive. I refuse to let the mean drivers turn me into a road rager.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice

And Freshee...OMG, yes!!! People can be so rude on the road. I try to always be courteous when I drive. I refuse to let the mean drivers turn me into a road rager.
    lol thats why I NEVER use my turn signal....
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

I should also clarify that you can only make a right turn on red from the far right lane...not from the middle lanes...
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg
    I should also clarify that you can only make a right turn on red from the far right lane...not from the middle lanes...
    Try telling the cars at the top of Hotel Plaza Boulevard that!!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Re: First time driver in USA... Tips welcome

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post
    This happened this morning when I was on my way to work! What are these people thinking?
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by elmo82 View Post
    Hi everyone, I am travelling to WDW from the UK in August and for the first time we have a rental car as part of the package holiday. I have been to Disney many times but have never driven. Any tips or advice are gratefully received :-). We are staying at Port Orleans Riverside and once at resort we plan to use the disney buses. We then have to drive from POR to Port Canaveral for our Disney cruise. Many thanks...
    I found driving really easy even went across to near Tampa to visit a relative. Get a satnav if you can it really helps. Just make sure you turn into the correct lane. I didn't once and panicked a little when seen headlights coming towards me. Managed to pull onto grass and turn round though so no harm done. Some junctions are not very clear that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    This happened this morning when I was on my way to work! What are these people thinking?
    I've been meaning to check this one out for a while and have only just remembered.

What is the official line of this?

I mentioned the light at the top of Hotel Plaza Boulevard in an earlier post where there are several turn right lanes.

Several websites I've found quote law enforcement agencies as saying you can turn right from multiple turn right lanes but your posts seem to suggest otherwise.

Is there an official document (our UK version is The Highway Code) which covers this?

I'm curious!
    Just a dream away!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post

I've been meaning to check this one out for a while and have only just remembered.

What is the official line of this?

I mentioned the light at the top of Hotel Plaza Boulevard in an earlier post where there are several turn right lanes.

Several websites I've found quote law enforcement agencies as saying you can turn right from multiple turn right lanes but your posts seem to suggest otherwise.

Is there an official document (our UK version is The Highway Code) which covers this?

I'm curious!
    I'm not sure where you would find official law, but it's more of a common sense thing; however, people are lacking common sense lately. From the far right lane, it's okay bc it doesn't interfere with other traffic...however from a second or third right turn lane, there is a far greater chance of you interfering with traffic and more likely to cause an accident.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

Ah - thanks. That makes sense!

Now you mention it, I have seen some pretty daft manoeuvres at those lights.

The whole turning on a red light is completely alien to us (it doesn't happen in the UK) so I guess we're extra-cautious anyway!
    Just a dream away!

It's a great law IMO, we should have it over here when turning left makes so much sense.

Ah - thanks. That makes sense!

Now you mention it, I have seen some pretty daft manoeuvres at those lights.

The whole turning on a red light is completely alien to us (it doesn't happen in the UK) so I guess we're extra-cautious anyway!
    Winkster,

The issue here is that every state is different with specific traffic rules, but not overly so.

As a general rule, a right turn on red lights should ONLY be done from the far right turn lane, even if there are two or more designated turn lanes available.

When at an intersection with multiple right hand turn lanes, it is also law (can't speak to FL law, never took their driving exam, but GA law is very similar) that you hold the lane you are turning in.

Of course, someone better versed in FL traffic law could correct me. Or the statute could be rather vague. However, as a general rule, I'd recommend only doing it from the far right lane, whether or not it's illegal.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Thanks englanddg!

I do find it confusing (and, to be honest, dangerous!) that one state can have different rules to the next. Especially in somewhere like Florida that's going to attract both overseas and out of state visitors. It seems to me that nobody will be quite sure of some of the finer points of driving law.

I've seen cars in lanes other than the farthest right stop at lights only to have the car behind blast their horn at them.

I'm sure we must have turned right in different lanes before but, as I mentioned, we're uber-cautious anyway as US roads are pretty different to ours.

None of the leaflets we've ever been given on driving in the US has ever mentioned not turning right if you're not in the far right lane - they just say come to a full stop then proceed only if it's clear.

I do think it makes more sense to use all turn right lanes anyway - but just with lots of caution! Take the Hotel Plaza Blvd junction as an example - the far right lane is only good if you're heading onto I4 as it filters off right, down that way just after you've turned. If you want to head down Vineland towards the outlets, it'd be more dangerous to turn in the far right lane then veer across all the lanes to turn left onto Vineland.

I'll be thinking of this thread next time we're heading to those lights and they turn red now!
    Just a dream away!

Thanks englanddg!

I do find it confusing (and, to be honest, dangerous!) that one state can have different rules to the next. Especially in somewhere like Florida that's going to attract both overseas and out of state visitors. It seems to me that nobody will be quite sure of some of the finer points of driving law.

I've seen cars in lanes other than the farthest right stop at lights only to have the car behind blast their horn at them.

I'm sure we must have turned right in different lanes before but, as I mentioned, we're uber-cautious anyway as US roads are pretty different to ours.

None of the leaflets we've ever been given on driving in the US has ever mentioned not turning right if you're not in the far right lane - they just say come to a full stop then proceed only if it's clear.

I do think it makes more sense to use all turn right lanes anyway - but just with lots of caution! Take the Hotel Plaza Blvd junction as an example - the far right lane is only good if you're heading onto I4 as it filters off right, down that way just after you've turned. If you want to head down Vineland towards the outlets, it'd be more dangerous to turn in the far right lane then veer across all the lanes to turn left onto Vineland.

I'll be thinking of this thread next time we're heading to those lights and they turn red now!
    As a general rule, pretty much all of the states have extremely similar driving rules / laws. The most common variences are ticketable offenses.

For example, in New Jersey / New York it is illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving, whereas in my state it is not. In some states, you don't have to wear a seatbelt. In others, local police are not allowed to pull you over for an infraction within a certain range of the posted speed limits, however state police can. List goes on.

However, as far as general driving, pretty much the whole country is the same.

As far as the specific intersection you are speaking of, I had to look it up on Google maps, and I can say, you certainly should NOT swerve over to the far left lane on the turn. Nor should you take the middle right hand turn lane on red. Either that or just wait on the light.

If you do a turn on red from the far right lane, there is plenty of room (nearly 4000 ft) to do a three lane merge to the turn onto Vineland.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast