Misson: Pick-A-Pearl in EPCOT
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Misson: Pick-A-Pearl in EPCOT

Looking for a super unique souvenir in Walt Disney World? Head on over to the Japan Pavillion in EPCOT. The Pick-a-Pearl Station is located at the Mitsukoshi store (below Teppan Edo). It can easily be found upon entering the store because there is usually cheering and drum banging going on at the station.

Name:  7039358363_0bcd385a4a.jpg
Views: 5384
Size:  206.5 KB

The first thing you need to do is "buy" an oyster at the cash register. Including tax, the total is $17. You will then be given a plastic card with a number letting you know when it's your turn. Our number was 7 and they were up to 4 so we had some time to check out the two jewelry cases of settings. They carry silver, yellow gold, and white gold in settings for earrings, necklaces, rings, and pendants. Prices start at $9.50 to set earrings in silver and went up from there.

Once your number is called you are allowed to come up to one of the tanks to choose your oyster. My 6-year old daughter was picking for me this time (my son did it back in 2009 and I had his 7& 3/4 pearl set in a beautiful white gold ring for $129). I had told my daughter that I read the bigger pearls are in the older/uglier oysters so she found a big one with lots of barnacles. The young lady who opens the oysters teaches you to countdown "3, 2, 1" in Japanese ("san, ni, ichi") as she cracks open the shell. I was so excited to see a greyish colored pearl inside. But my excitement didn't stop there, as the lady told my daughter, "Ohhhhhhh....so lucky!! Two! Twins!", and pulled out a second grey pearl!

She proceeded to tell us grey pearls are very rare, but the odds of getting grey twins are less than 1%. She then measured the pearls, which were both the same size, 6 & 1/2. She then cleaned and displayed them in a dish filled with a white sandy salt. She told us this was good for the pearls. She banged her drum and everyone cheered as she shouted how lucky we are!!

Next, it was time to head over to the jewelry counter where another girl had the different earring settings already pulled out for us. They had at least a dozen different designs, but I opted for the simple post, as opposed to anything that dangled. I chose white gold, and the price was $30. (I also paid $0.50 for a small cardboard box to keep them in). Now, if you want to simply take your pearl home and have it set by your own jeweler you have that option also and you will receive your pearl in a small ziploc bag with the date and size written on them.

I was told it would take 30 minutes for my earrings to be complete, so I asked if I could have it delivered to my hotel. Unfortunately, this is one of the few items in WDW that you cannot use this service for because they want you to check your piece personally.

My earrings were ready on time, and the girl who presented them told me they used glue to set them, so no wearing them for 24 hours and no wearing them in water (my ring from 2009 was screwed in so this was my first time hearing these rules).

I am in love with my beautiful new Disney souvenir, that will also serve as a reminder of my beautiful daughter...and yes, I will share them with her for special occasions too!

Photos: http://s1308.beta.photobucket.com/us...y/Pick-A-Pearl
    Last edited by Curious Alice; 02-11-2013 at 08:59 AM.
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

Fantastic report! After reading it I REALLY want to try this!

How lucky to get two pearls.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Elgin, IL (a suburb about 40 miles outside Chicago)
    I also heard to pick the ugliest oyster, I did in my last trip and also was lucky enough to pull twins, grey and 6 3/4 size.

I did not set them into earrings yet, as when I was there I could not decide on what I liked.
    ** If you can DREAM it, you can DO it. - Walt Disney **

Elgin, IL (a suburb about 40 miles outside Chicago)
    Great report!
    ** If you can DREAM it, you can DO it. - Walt Disney **

Nice report and How lucky is that! Enjoy your twins.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Re: Misson: Pick-A-Pearl in EPCOT

Great report! I had never heard of this place until recently. Your report makes me want to give it a try! Thanks for writing it.
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Awesome!!! Great report! I did this in January and got a 7 just plain white but I want to do it again. Ill have to remember to look for the ugliest one.

I love the photos! Are the settings in the last picture (such as the cage pendants that cost $21) sterling silver or just plated?
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Alice, you are amazing for figuring out how to get my photos on here!! Thank you so much :-)

I am almost positive that the pieces you are referring to are sterling silver.

The great thing is there is such a large range in prices that anyone can do it.
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

Great report! I can't wait to do it in April with my daughters!

Awesome keepsake! Great Report! Makes me want to get one too
    "Faith is a bluebird you see from a far. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star"
    Magical Disney Trips circa 1989
    1991*1994*1997*2003*2011*2013

I've done pick a pearl three times and haven't gotten twins yet. I really want to get them and have a pair of earrings made. The first time I got a large white pearl and had it set in a small silver pendant with a little "diamond" above the pearl. I think it was about $30. The second time I just took the pearl home in the ziplock. Then last year I had it set in a pewter heart necklace that came on a black cord. I think that was around $50.

I finally did this!

We arrived at Mitsukoshi just after they opened at 11am and there were no other people there yet, so we didn't have to wait. This was an anniversary gift from my DH, so I let him pick out the oyster. I wound up with a 7.75 pearl with a faint pinkish hue.There were several pretty settings that made it hard for me to choose, and the prices weren't bad at all. I decided on a sterling silver cage pendant (the one with the wavy "bars"). I have silver chains at home, so I didn't have to buy one. I like the cage because I can switch out the pearl for something else if I feel like it.

The whole thing cost just under $50 and was really a lot of fun. In addition to being a nice anniversary gift, it's a great non-Disney-ish (i.e. no characters or ears!) souvenir of our trip. I'm definitely going to be doing this again, probably on our December trip.
    Last edited by Curious Alice; 03-03-2013 at 12:35 AM.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice
    I finally did this!

We arrived at Mitsukoshi just after they opened at 11am and there were no other people there yet, so we didn't have to wait. This was an anniversary gift from my DH, so I let him pick out the oyster. I wound up with a 7.75 pearl with a faint pinkish hue.There were several pretty settings that made it hard for me to choose, and the prices weren't bad at all. I decided on a sterling silver cage pendant (the one with the wavy "bars"). I have silver chains at home, so I didn't have to buy one. I like the cage because I can switch out the pearl for something else if I feel like it.

The whole thing cost just under $50 and was really a lot of fun. In addition to being a nice anniversary gift, it's a great non-Disney-ish (i.e. no characters or ears!) souvenir of our trip. I'm definitely going to be doing this again, probably on our December trip.
    What a neat gift! Happy anniversary! We celebrated our 10th anniversary yesterday!
    2006 & 2008 Fort Wilderness
    2009 bought into the DVC and Kidani Village
    2010 4 night Disney cruise on the Wonder and BLT
    2011 Old Key West and Boardwalk Villas
    2011 Bay Lake Tower
    2012 Kidani Village, Vero Beach, Saratoga Springs, and Jambo House

Wow! great report! I really want to try this one! I have a set of pearl and silver earrings that I inherited from my grandmother, and my girls love to see them! I want to do it with them and then they can have their own pearls too, for when they grow up!
    Disneyland December 1985, Walt Disney World July 1991
    Walt Disney World July 1993, Walt Disney World February 2004

Honeymoon @ Pop Century November 2005
    DD Judith, born September 9, 2006, DD Julia, born Dec. 16, 2007

“The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing" Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast