I'm going to be a CM!
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Hello all! For those of you that haven't seen this yet, and I only found out I was accepted yesterday, I was accepted into the Disney College Program for Fall Advantage. I will be working Custodial, and I will be there from May 20 until January 3 so that means that I will be arriving in about 66 days. I am going to use this thread to talk about things that I am doing to get ready beforehand, and I will try to keep updating once I am there, but I am not sure how well that will go but I will try my best.

I tend to be more shy, especially on here, but I am going to give yall some background info on me and my journey with the DCP so far. I will also try to be myself as much as possible (part of my shyness is just me trying to be more prim and proper especially here) and so I will probably go off on some random things and ramble a little. I apologize in advance for this!

Anyway, see it's starting already, here is some of my background info about my experience so far with the program and applying. I applied for the DCP last September but I failed the web based interview (WBI), so I wasn't able to take part in it then. I graduated in December, and one of the rules is, surprisingly enough, that you must be enrolled in college courses. Well, luckily it can only be one class and so this semester I signed up for a photography class that I had been meaning to take but didn't have the time before. Because I failed the WBI last time, I had to wait 6 months before I could reapply, which meant I had to wait about 2 or 3 weeks after apps came out before I could apply. It was awful, but I tried to stay positive. I finally applied on March 7, and I passed the WBI this time around (WOO HOO!). Then I got the email to up for my phone interview time which I had Monday (like March 11) at 1:30. I usually have class on Mondays but this week is Spring Break for us, so I was so glad that I had the morning to prepare and stress out. My interviewer was extremely nice and helpful! I don't remember which question it was, but when I went to answer, I said something that I did not mean to say and then I couldn't think, so I apologized to her, and she was so nice, and told me that it was fine, and I just needed to relax and pretend like we were long lost friends. Oh goodness this helped me so much! At the end I had asked my questions and she said that if I get accepted that I would be getting a lot of info then, and if I don't get accepted to PLEEEEEEEASE apply again......ummmm so does that mean I did well and you think if I don't get it that it was just a fluke? Or does that mean that you are sorry that I did terribly and that I more than likely won't get it this time, but make sure I practice more and reapply next time? I was soooo stressed out before my interview but after words I felt like a huge weight had lifted off my shoulders. I had a mantra going this whole time that whatever happens, I did my best, and after the phone interview, there was nothing more I could do so why stress about it. My mom was questioning everything that the interviewer said, and was making me a little nervous (she was stressing more than I was!).

I was also making little vlogs this time around (more like a diary of how I'm feeling and what I'm going through) and I was in the process of making one yesterday just talking about how I at least wasn't NLIC (no longer in consideration) the day after my interview because I had heard that that had happened to some people (how awful!). When I was making this video I was just showing that on my iPhone I had set the Disney recruiting email address as a VIP, so I could get a notification when I received an email form them. Turns out that when I opened that mailbox folder, a new email popped up...from WDW recruiting. My reaction was priceless and I could not have possibly timed it any better. On my video I check the folder, and say that I got an email from Disney...and I think it says congratulations...then I opened it and I just burst into tears and for real wasn't breathing for like 5 minutes. lol. I am SO glad that I have that documented that way. It made it really special.

Ok...so this is becoming a little longer than I wanted, but I wanted y'all to get to know me a little and see how I got here. I will be posting more about little things I find out along the way, and might post my Disney bucket list. I have been making one, and now it can be a little more extravagant since I will be there for a little over 7 months! If anybody has any questions, comments, suggestions (about how I am writing this, things to do, places to go, whatever!) feel free to let me know! I am very excited to take part in the DCP, in case you couldn't tell, and to share it with everyone!
    Last edited by Skorsburn; 03-15-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    DCP Fall Advantage 2013

Again congratulations

I'm so happy for you, specially after reading your post, well done!

I wish you the best time during your CP and have fun planning!

Oh, I have 1 question, what does 'working custodial' mean? Can't find the right translation for it (english is not my birthlanguage )
    Last edited by MINI Mouse; 03-15-2013 at 04:31 AM.
    Looking forward to our Disney vacations

Loving your thread!! I'm really glad you started it and I'll be following it keenly to keep up with all your goings on.

Thanks for posting!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Congratulations. I can't wait to read your updates to this thread. We had a friend of the family who was part of the college program and he absolutely loved it. He is working on finishing his degree and hopes to go work for Disney full time when finished.

Congratulations!! Can't wait for updates!

Re: I'm going to be a CM!

That is so awesome! Congratulations to you! I look forward to reading about your adventures!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Quote Originally Posted by MINI Mouse
    Again congratulations

I'm so happy for you, specially after reading your post, well done!

I wish you the best time during your CP and have fun planning!

Oh, I have 1 question, what does 'working custodial' mean? Can't find the right translation for it (english is not my birthlanguage )
    Custodial are the cast members most know for emptying to trash bins; however they also wash down the sidewalk when something is spilt so it doesn't get sticky and the ones that wash it down are taught to draw pictures of the characters with the water hose.

Congrats and have fun!

I did the CP. Spring Advantage '05, extended through Fall '05, and returned for Alumni Summer '06. That was an amazing year and a half!

Rent for apartment comes directly out of your paycheck each week so you never have to worry about covering for a roommate. It's two people per room, so if you're in a 4 bedroom it's you plus 7 others!

Any day you aren't scheduled to work, you can go to the theme parks to play for free. Water parks do cost extra unless you work there.

Be sure to take $300-$500 with you for arrival. It does take a few weeks before you start getting paid bc you have Traditions class the first week and then training. Make sure you have enough money to get by until you receive your first paycheck. Don't expect to make all kinds of money while there. You'll make enough to live on, but not much extra to save.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

What great news, Skorsburn! Best of luck working at Disney in the fall! And thanks for posting - love that even though you didn't get through the first time you tried again and made it! Never give up!

Congratulations! I'm very much looking forward to hearing more updates. I wanted to do the CP while I was in college but, unfortunately, the timing was never right. Since graduation, I've considered e rolling in classes just so I could apply haha! In any case, best of luck and congratulations again!!

Quote Originally Posted by cwilks10
    Congratulations! I'm very much looking forward to hearing more updates. I wanted to do the CP while I was in college but, unfortunately, the timing was never right. Since graduation, I've considered e rolling in classes just so I could apply haha! In any case, best of luck and congratulations again!!
    There's no age restriction to the program. I worked with a man that was in his 40's and going to college again, he was on the college program. Granted his roommates thought it was a little odd that they were in their early 20's and he was in his 40's. but he enjoyed the program just as we all did.

-HannahLeigh

Thank you everyone for reading, commenting and congratulating! And thank you HannahLeigh for the tips and explaining the role. I didn't realize that the water parks cost extra. Do you buy these at Company D? What was your role/ were your roles?

I have also heard that Custodial CM have some of the highest level of guest interaction, and it is one of the roles where you have the most freedom. I know there will be some not so pleasant things about the job (like cleaning up blood and vomit) but I have a feeling that this really is a great role for me and the good experiences will FAR outweigh the bad.

Today I joined the Disney Movie Club so I will have some of my own Disney movies to take with me and I can start my own collection. For some reason my parents want to keep theirs. Lol. So I decided to get Toy Story 1,2, and 3, Up (which we are watching right now as a matter of fact. I love Russell!), Tangled (fryingpans...Who knew right?!), Cars, and Hercules. I'm so excited!

I just got done typing up my Disney Bucket List. Quite a lot of people are doing this that got into the program, so this is mine as of right now. I imagine it will be easier to complete since I will be there for so long. Now don't get me wrong, I don't think I can do it ALL while I'm there. It will also probably change between now and May, but here is my first draft. (and I apologize that this will be crazy long!)
    Disney BucketList!!!!!
    1. Ride every ride and see each show/movie at least once (below is the list of things I haven't done yet)
    Mk
    -Enchanted Tales with Belle (does anyone else have a really hard time saying this? I always want to say Tales with Bale or Tells with Belle)
    -Country Bear Jamboree
    -Dumbo
    -Main Street Vehicles
    -Liberty Square Riverboat
    -Magic Carpets of Aladdin
    -Sorcerers of the MK

Epcot
    -Agent P
    -Pretty much all the movies in the countries (technically I have seen some of these but I don't remember them so I'm going to go with I haven't seen any)

HS
    -Beauty and the Beast (why haven't I made time for this in any of the last 7 trips?!)
    -Playhouse Disney (not too excited about this...but I have to do what I have to do to finish the list- at least I could watch the kids having fun...I am an education major after all)
    -American Idol Experience

AK
    -Meet and Greet Trails
    -the Boneyard
    -TriceraTop Spin
    2.Visit all 4 parks in day
    3.drink around the world (I'm pretty excited to try this one! Last trip I had my first Grand Mariner orange slushie and it was sooooo good!)
    4. See the Halloween parade (I have been dying to see the headless horseman ride down Main Street!)
    5.Find all of the hidden Mickey's in my app and (as if that wasn't hard enough)have photographic proof of each one
    6.Do at least 10 different tours ( I have already done 2 and I'll need to decide if these count or not. Is that cheating?)
    7.Work at WDW (and I had this one on here before I was accepted!)
    8.Visit both water parks
    9.Play golf at each of the WDW golf courses ( I am hoping to be able to play at least a little bit while I'm there, but there is a good chance that won't happen)
    10.Ride all of the mountains twice in one day (including Everest)-apparently I wanted to make the traditional mountain challenge a little more challenging
    11.run in a WDW race (and I hate running)
    12.ride the intense version of Mission Space
    13.go to the Food and Wine Festival
    14.Show my cousin how to do WDW the right way (when she gets back from WDW, and she has been at least 3 times, I will talk about something or ask if they saw something else and she has absolutely no idea what I'm talking about...so I apparently need to show her how to do it the right way.)
    15.Watch Illuminations from an outside table at the Rose and Crown ( I got this idea from you Winkster)
    16.get a D23 pin (this past December they were sold out and I was so sad)
    17.go to a D23 event
    18.visit all of the resorts
    19.see the opening show at MK (again, how have I been 7 times and never seen this?)
    20.see the Christmas lights at Fort Wilderness
    21.watch Wishes from the beach at the Poly
    22.stay in a MK facing room at the Contemporary
    23.watch Wishes from the top of the Contemporary
    24.watch one of the fireworks shows from a boat (one of the special cruises)
    25.try the Smores cupcake at the WL
    26.watch the Japanese girl make the pulled sugar animals (I can't remember her name)
    27.watch all the movies around the world (I kinda already mentioned this earlier,but might as well keep it...it's like killing two birds with one stone (but why would I want to kill birds anyway?))
    28.Do the Agent P thing for each country (same as above)
    29.eat at Tusker House
    30.Play in the Boneyard
    31.take time to see the Dapper Dans
    32.Character's in Flight (I tried to do this last time, but it was too windy)
    33.be a Galactic Hero on Buzz and get the special button (Dad got this in December, and I can't let him show me up)
    34.Ride BTMRR during Wishes
    35.Ride the TTA during Wishes
    36.Call the payphone in England and have a conversation with the person on the other end
    37.send a postcard from inside the parks
    38.have a joke told at Monsters Inc. (they didn't like the one I gave them in December apparently...it came from one of the 1st graders that was in my class where I was student teaching and it was -Why did the chicken cross the road? To get a Red Bull! I think it's hilarious!)
    39.get a map from Jungle Cruise (I stole this from someone else's bucket list. I didn't even know this was possible. Is it? Has anyone tried it?)
    40.Go horseback riding at Fort Wilderness
    41.Play all of the mini-golf courses (I have only played the...ummm...animated?course at Fantasia Gardens)

Whew! I had my list written out but not numbered, and I didn't realize how many I already had on this list! Anyway, I guess that will do for now! Thanks for reading and, again, if you have questions, comments, suggestions, whatever just let me know!
    Last edited by Skorsburn; 03-16-2013 at 12:05 AM.
    DCP Fall Advantage 2013

Love the Rose & Crown thought!

And I like your new signature too!!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Congratulations skorsburn!
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I'm looking forward to reading your updates!!! 8:0) XXX

Check with Company D, but you may be able to get them at the Water Park gate just as guests do..it's only a small discount you get.

For Spring Advantage I worked as a Slide Operator at Blizzard Beach.
    When I extended through Fall I worked as a Bell Services and Valet Dispatcher at the Boardwalk Resort.
    Summer Alumni I worked merchandise in ToonTown at Magic Kingdom.

-HannahLeigh

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast