I'm going to be a CM! - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post

Believe me, I know the feeling. Before my first CP I had never lived away from home (I commuted to college), hadn't had a roomate in forever, wasn't the world's best cook, ect. It did get easier over time though
    Same. I commuted to college and the only roommate I ever had was my brother when we were little kids. I had never done my own laundry before (had to call my mom the first few times to make sure I was doing it right) and I didn't know how to cook at all, so I lived off of hot pockets, frozen pizzas, and pasta sides.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

What is the hiring process like? I'm a burned out nurse that dreams of working at WDW with a broom and dustpan and helping to spread the magic!

Hoping all your wishes come true!

I'm going to try to start commenting back to each person that has commented. I don't know how long it will last, but I really appreciate everything and I want y'all to know that I'm reading your comments. I also don't think I'll be doing this right, but I will do my best to add all the comments to this one comment.

Quote Originally Posted by crazy dog lady View Post
    What is the hiring process like? I'm a burned out nurse that dreams of working at WDW with a broom and dustpan and helping to spread the magic! Hoping all your wishes come true!
    My process was different, I am guessing, because it was through the college program. But first I filled out an application and then I got an email to fill out a Web Based Interview. From what I've read, it is like any other one you would do for any other job. Some people said that they practiced with other online tests at like Office Depot. Basically it asks questions like I am always on time, I am never late (I know these for sure were on there, even though everyone always uses these they are the only ones that come to my mind right now) and you need to answer by choosing to either strongly agree, agree, neutral, disagree, and strongly disagree. There were also some multiple choice questions. The one I remember from this was something about a kid having a hammer and smashed his finger so what would you do. Anyway, when I passed this I got an email to schedule a phone interview. I think this is where it may be different for part time/ full time roles. But, I had a phone interview that seemed like a normal interview (I'm guessing because this was my first job interview) where she asked me why I wanted to do the college program, and we talked about my skills, and she explained some of the roles that I expressed interest in on my application. This was my experience and I'm guessing that most of it would be the same, but I don't know. Someone else may be able to help you with the other parts. I hope, if you try it, it works out for you and you love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Simbagirl81 View Post
    I know how scary it seems to leave home the first time! I am sure you have heard it over and over from other people, but eventually you realize you are ok. Of course you still miss your family and the comfort of knowing they are right there but at the same time you are growing, exploring and meeting new people! You may even surprise yourself and find that sometimes you are so preoccupied that you forget to call your family for a few days. They will be proud of you and know that they raised a brave and I dependent child.
    Best of luck to you and I can't wait to read about your coming adventures!
    Thank you! This made me smile. I just am getting anxious knowing this is really going to happen in a month.

Quote Originally Posted by HannahLeigh View Post
    About bringing your own kitchen stuff...just be aware that your roommates will use it too and may ruin some things. Some people have no regard for another person's belongings so be careful what you bring with you. And that's not just for kitchen things, but everything you bring.

And I just found out that a girl from my hometown was accepted and will be arriving in June.
    I never thought about that. I might look over what I'm planning on brining and make sure everything I take I will be ok with it not making it through this trip. Most of the stuff I'm taking are hand- me- downs from my mom, like her pans, mixer, food processor etc though. Anyway, thanks for adding that to give me something to think about.

And that's cool! What role did she get?

Quote Originally Posted by vanessprincess View Post
    This is so very interesting! I did not know much about the college program so I am enjoying everything I am learning here. Good luck with everything and look forward to more posts!

Love the bucket list, too!!

I'm glad I could help! If you have any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them, or find the answers. Plus, there are a few people reading this that did it too so they could probably help too. Thank you for commenting and reading along!

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post

Believe me, I know the feeling. Before my first CP I had never lived away from home (I commuted to college), hadn't had a roomate in forever, wasn't the world's best cook, ect. It did get easier over time though

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has felt that way. It sounds like I'm the same way you were, and that helps me a lot. I think most of the people on the FB groups have either done the program before or are so ready to get away from home, so sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that is nervous about being away from home.

Same. I commuted to college and the only roommate I ever had was my brother when we were little kids. I had never done my own laundry before (had to call my mom the first few times to make sure I was doing it right) and I didn't know how to cook at all, so I lived off of hot pockets, frozen pizzas, and pasta sides.

Again, thank you! It really does help for me to see that I'm not the only one like this.
    Last edited by Skorsburn; 04-19-2013 at 09:43 PM.
    DCP Fall Advantage 2013

Hannaleigh, thanks for taking the time to post such a thorough response! I wish you luck for the future!

Hoping all your wishes come true!

I'm not sure of her role, don't even know her name. My mom knows her parents.

Things like shower curtain & bath rug, are things that are not provided...so you can buy one before hand but keep in mind that one bathroom will be used by 2-4 people...so you could end up with no shower curtain and rug and you and roommates can each put in a few bucks and take a trip to Walmart or target and get one together...or you could end up with four shower curtains and rugs if everyone buys one before hand. I ended up with two tvs bc both myself and roommate brought one.

Also, coat hangers! You'll probably pack all your clothes in a suitcase but you will still need handsets to put things away in the closet.

-HannahLeigh

I'm not sure of her role, don't even know her name. My mom knows her parents.

Things like shower curtain & bath rug, are things that are not provided...so you can buy one before hand but keep in mind that one bathroom will be used by 2-4 people...so you could end up with no shower curtain and rug and you and roommates can each put in a few bucks and take a trip to Walmart or target and get one together...or you could end up with four shower curtains and rugs if everyone buys one before hand. I ended up with two tvs bc both myself and roommate brought one.

Also, coat hangers! You'll probably pack all your clothes in a suitcase but you will still need handsets to put things away in the closet.

Thanks for the packing help! I haven't really started packing yet, but I will probably start next week so I'm glad to have te advice.
    Last edited by Skorsburn; 05-02-2013 at 10:32 PM.
    DCP Fall Advantage 2013

So, I'm just going to do a quick update on where I am as of right now. Ok so the time is going to fly even faster these last few weeks, I have a feeling, because my birthday is tomorrow, then next Friday my mom and I are going to Nashville to see The Lion King, and then w leave the Friday after that. Wow! That seems so crazy to me. I was talking to my mom the other day and I feel like I have a lot of tie to get things done, but then again it feels like I'm leaving so soon. My plan was to clean up my room and start getting things organized this week, start packing next week, and then I have the next week to finish whatever needs to be done so when I think of it this way it's like, oh I have plenty of time, but then it shifts to wow, that's only a little over two weeks away now. This is really creeping up on me, but I'm starting to get more excited and less nervous about it.
    DCP Fall Advantage 2013

Excellent day for a birthday. It is the same as one of my best friend's. so...Happy (early) Birthday! Hope it's a great one!

9. Re: I'm going to be a CM!

Congrats on getting into the DCP. My DD also got in.

Happy Birthday!

Quote Originally Posted by cwilks10 View Post
    Excellent day for a birthday. It is the same as one of my best friend's. so...Happy (early) Birthday! Hope it's a great one!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by disneycruising View Post
    Congrats on getting into the DCP. My DD also got in.

Happy Birthday!
    Thank you! That's exciting that your DD got in! What role is she in?
    Last edited by Skorsburn; 05-03-2013 at 02:52 AM.
    DCP Fall Advantage 2013

Re: I'm going to be a CM!

Happy Birthday! Only 2 weeks to go?? Wow! Very exciting
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Happy birthday! Enjoy all your fun new endeavors!
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Happy birthday

Wow, only 2 weeks, exciting!!
    Looking forward to our Disney vacations

Happy Birthday! I can't believe the time is almost here for you to head to Florida! Best of luck to you

Thank you everyone for the birthday wishes! It was a nice and relaxing day, we went to dinner, and when we got home I opened some presents. Later, we ate some cupcakes and Coldstone ice cream then put in Wreck it Ralph. It was a very nice day. . I really can't believe that in two weeks I'll be one the road to Fl. It does seem so strange, but exciting. I just checked and noticed I started this thread on March 15, which was 7 weeks ago. Holy cow that is so crazy! Time is definitely flying!

Oh and it has been Disney Week on the channel Destination America and they have been showing all kinds of shows about the Disney parks and cruises so that's been a lot of fun! We recorded some of them, and they even had 2 new ones at WDW. They talked about New Fantasyland, showed the partial ride through of the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train and at the end, they talked very briefly, like one or two sentences, about Avatarland which I found very interesting because I thought it was all just rumors still at this point.
    Last edited by Skorsburn; 05-04-2013 at 12:04 AM.
    DCP Fall Advantage 2013

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast