Im new to the DVC

Im new to the DVC

Hi there, I've just joined the DVC and am a little confused. AKL is my home resort so does that mean I can book there 11 months in advance and anywhere else 7 months in advance? What about non disney property? When can I book that? Would you consider doing disneyland and stay off sure nearby or would you spend the extra points to stay on site? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UK mum of 4
    Hi there, I've just joined the DVC and am a little confused. AKL is my home resort so does that mean I can book there 11 months in advance and anywhere else 7 months in advance? What about non disney property? When can I book that? Would you consider doing disneyland and stay off sure nearby or would you spend the extra points to stay on site? Thanks
    I don't know the answers to all your questions but I can confirm that you can book a vacation at AKL 11 months out and anywhere else 7 months out. When you log onto your account via the DVC web site it does list that info in the vacation planning tools ( it gives the actual dates that you can book out to).

Not sure about non-Disney property. We were not sure if it is a good (cost effective) way to spend points. I would be interested to see what other DVC members think about this topic.

Never been to DL but I would think it would be worth staying there with your points. Especially if you know you need to use up points in they are already banked and need to be used or you will lose them.

Sorry I couldn't answer everything.

Re: Im new to the DVC

I'd called Member Services to ask about non Disney locations. I'd be curious because since they added a hotel in NYC we may use points for a non Disney location. The points are pretty decent for weekdays but not the weekend. Don't forget about the $95 charge for using non Disney locations (and non DVC locations) when using your points.
    32 visits to WDW. Visits since 2008:
    Jan 2008 - Wilderness Lodge, Sept 2008 - All-Star Music, Jan 2009 - Contemporary Resort & All-Star Sports, Jan 2011 - Polynesian Resort, Sept 2011 - Old Key West, Jan 2013 & Oct 2014 - Bay Lake Tower & Art of Animation, Jan 2015 - Bay Lake Tower, Port Orleans FQ, Villas at the Grand Floridian & Disney's Vero Beach, Jan 2016 - Animal Kingdom Villas, Port Orleans Riverside & Disney's Hilton Head Island

DVC is a great timeshare. You had the best guidance by cpudd to call member services. They are very helpful. We have 400 points in OKW and have never used them outside of Disney World. Six adult children and 8 grandchildren go down every 2 years. Difficult for us to even try another property there because of the housing needs we have and the time that we go. Enjoy your membership though. These are beautiful places to stay, and reasonable once the initial cost is cleared. You will be amazed if you calculate the cost of one of these rooms for a week as opposed to the cost of your annual fees.

If you're referring to the RCI resorts, our experience tells us we definitely recommend them. We live in NZ and don't get the chance to use our points at Disney all the time. We got DVC partly cause of the flexibility to use our points at other places in the world, and so far we have been quite impressed.

We stayed at an RCI resort in Victoria, Canada and another in San Diego at the Hotel Del Coronado. In both places we got free room upgrades and the rooms were amazing. If we had been paying cash for these rooms it would've been a couple hundred dollars per night at least, and we only paid the $95 transaction fee and about 30 some points total for about 2 nights. It was well worth it. Take a look around, check out the other places you can stay and see what might be worth it.

If you're going to Orlando though, I think your best bet would be to stay at one of the DVC resorts though. Again, see what your options are and above all, enjoy your DVC!!

Welcome home! Looks like your questions are answered so i will just say enjoy. my home is akl as well no place like it

Mine is Saratoga just got it my wife has had hers but got us another and love it will be there for July

Thank you for your answers, although we would love to spend all of our points at WDW that is simply not possible with flight costs :-(
    We have just booked 11 nights at an RCI resort in Tenerife for January 2014 And are hoping to go to AKL at WDW in August 2015 :-)

Wow, that will be great. Let us know how the resort at Tenerife is. Our home resort is Saratoga, but our first stay at WDW using our points is Old Key West this Oct. We've used our points at the Grand Californian and that was great.

I bet the points and the $95 fee will make 11 nights in Tenerife WELL worth it! Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by A-heim Boy View Post
    Wow, that will be great. Let us know how the resort at Tenerife is. Our home resort is Saratoga, but our first stay at WDW using our points is Old Key West this Oct. We've used our points at the Grand Californian and that was great.

I bet the points and the $95 fee will make 11 nights in Tenerife WELL worth it! Have fun.
    We just bought in at SSR, and our first stay is OKW this October also! I'm so excited to finally be a member. I've wanted to for a long time now. I'm not sure if I'll ever use the RCI exchange just because we like WDW so much, but it's nice to know it's an option.
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]

We just bought in at SSR, and our first stay is OKW this October also! I'm so excited to finally be a member. I've wanted to for a long time now. I'm not sure if I'll ever use the RCI exchange just because we like WDW so much, but it's nice to know it's an option.
    For us although we love WDW we cannot afford the flights all the way to Florida every year so European destinations allow us to use it more often. The resort looks beautiful but if I lived in USA I don't think I would use my points to fly to Europe.

You enjoy your membership. Airfare can be costly Takes us 2 years to save up for a trip and August 2013 will be the last trip grandpa and grandma can handle the full cost for everyone. We hope our children will be able to save enough that we can all go down a s a family 2015 again.

- - - Updated - - -

OKW is our home resort. This is the original vacation resort in wdw. The rooms are a little larger than the other resorts and it is a very quiet area. If you go to the main pool and down the slide it is very deceiving. Seems like it will never end. Going down with our children and grandchildren Aug 2013 and then the wife and myself Jan 2014. Being from PA you will most likely go to the pool in Oct. We are from the west end of the Poconos and went down in Dec. It was in the high 70's and I was in shorts and a t-shirt. I was talking to a gentleman from the rental shop and he said to me Northerner aren't you? He had a light coat on. Most of them were dressed for the winter and we were in the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by foxfire1127 View Post
    I was talking to a gentleman from the rental shop and he said to me Northerner aren't you? He had a light coat on. Most of them were dressed for the winter and we were in the pool.
    Haha, that's so true! What's "cool" to them is downright balmy for us. Thanks for the tips! Can't wait to check it all out.

Quote Originally Posted by UK mum of 4 View Post
    For us although we love WDW we cannot afford the flights all the way to Florida every year so European destinations allow us to use it more often. The resort looks beautiful but if I lived in USA I don't think I would use my points to fly to Europe.
    I'm with you both on the airfare. I would love to go to DL or Aulani but that would probably be a once in a lifetime thing just because of the flight cost. For us it's more than double what it is to fly to FL. But, it's nice knowing that maybe someday it could happen, lol. I do love the flexibility of it all though, and that there are so many different options. Something for everyone really.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 04-17-2013 at 10:58 AM.
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

For us it's opposite we can get very cheap air fares to Hawaii and California but from alaska to Orlando it a very expensive. I think this will be our last Florida trip until the HP expansion opens. We might try Aulani though spring 2014. I just have to get my nerve up to travel over water.