Guest Assistance Card

Guest Assistance Card

Hello okay so I will be going to disney world with a group of friends in a little less than a year. I have a heart condition which requires me to rest when needed, but my doctor allows me on roller coasters. Will this prove as a problem to the cast members if I use the card? Because I know there are warnings against heart conditions on some of my favorite rides.

Also, I've never gotten the GAC.. What is the process of getting it? Is it worth getting? Are the cast members/guests nice about it? Thanks!

(Ps. I'm new to this talk disney stuff so excuse my newbie-ness)

Re: Guest Assistance Card

I alway travel with my family. My brother has Autism and we always get a GAC.

all you do is go to guest services at a park Nd say that you need a GAC because of a heart problem that make standing for long periods of time hard. They will ask you how many people in your party and how long you will be at WDW. They will give you the card and all you have to do is show the card at each rides fast pass entrance.

If you need anymore help, just ask me.

2015-Beach Club, 2013-Old Key West & Vero Beach, 2011- Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village, 2009- Boardwalk, 2007- Saratoga Springs, 2006- Hilton Head, 2006- School Trip, 2004- Wilderness Lodge & Ft. Wilderness, 2003-Disneyland, 2001- Boardwalk, 2001- Vero Beach, 2000-Dixie Landings (Join DVC) 2000- Vero Beach, 1997- Dixie Landings

I'm not sure what you are looking for with the GAC. It won't do anything for the heart condition. As for the resting, they may suggest getting a wheelchair or ECV (as there is a lot of walking just in between rides/shows/ect). Personally, I would say you probably won't need it
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

I have a heart condition that requires me to rest a lot as well I'm also not suppose to become to hot. I can go on roller coaster, but really try to avoid them because they make me feel awful. I have never had a problem getting a GAC card. I usually use A scooter but keep the GAC handy incase I want to try and walk. The scooters really embarrass me.
    Some days I can stand for 30 min and others I can't even get out of bed. so being able to enjoy Disney is wonderful.
    Last edited by DisneyGirl907; 05-14-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Walt Disney does not offer GAC cards anymore. If you have a disability and you want to go to a Walt Disney World Park, they have made it plain and clear, you are out of luck, get in line in your wheelchair amongst all the non disabled and suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyGA View Post
    ...get in line in your wheelchair amongst all the non disabled and suffer.
    Surely the DAS card is there to prevent genuine suffering for those who aren't able to queue?

Are you saying that queuing caused you pain or discomfort? If that were the case, the new system would be failing badly.

We all have to "suffer" the mild inconvenience of queuing at WDW though. As I see it, all Disney are saying is that being in a wheelchair doesn't necessarily mean you can't queue - and where people can, they should. To me, that seems fair.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    We all have to "suffer" the mild inconvenience of queuing at WDW though. As I see it, all Disney are saying is that being in a wheelchair doesn't necessarily mean you can't queue - and where people can, they should. To me, that seems fair.
    Exactly. I'm not sure why being in a chair that can pass through the regular queue is unreasonable. People with disabilities are always campaigning for fairness and now that they have to go about waiting in line the same way/the fair way, they want the old way to cheat back..? Doesn't seem right.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    -HannahLeigh

Quote Originally Posted by BitOfPixieDust View Post
    Hello okay so I will be going to disney world with a group of friends in a little less than a year. I have a heart condition which requires me to rest when needed, but my doctor allows me on roller coasters. Will this prove as a problem to the cast members if I use the card? Because I know there are warnings against heart conditions on some of my favorite rides.

Also, I've never gotten the GAC.. What is the process of getting it? Is it worth getting? Are the cast members/guests nice about it? Thanks!

(Ps. I'm new to this talk disney stuff so excuse my newbie-ness)
    You probably won't be able to get the card, as the new policy is to only give them to people with cognitive disorders. You can get wheelchairs at the ride queues, but you might want to consider an ECV. At Buena Vista Rentals, which delivers and picks up from Disney Resorts, you can rent one for a 2-day minimum and they will let you extend it. That's the company I used and they were great. Don't rent directly from Disney...too expensive.

You could park it in a general area, like Tomorrowland, for instance, and do all the attractions in that area, then drive it and park at the next area. That might be very helpful for you if you need rests.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Does anyone know if you can take wheelchairs through queues? What happens to them when you get on the ride. I can't stand for extended amounts of time, and would like to have the wheelchair in the queue if needed. Also, at the resorts, I'm staying at the Poly, can you get a wheelchair just to get you to the monorail, or can they give you a ride on a golf cart? Thanks for any help!

The new card is a DAS or disability assistance card. I am a disabled vet and also have heart problems, I walk with a cane but I still usually wait in line and grin an bear it. If I feel that I cannot I use the card. It gives me a time to return time for the ride, the return times are given to you at guests services or the ride itself because it works with the fastpass+ system. It is sad that people with little to no trouble ruin it for those that really need it. It is a bit more difficult to get, you have a form to fill out and you even get your pic taken unless they have changed that. Check out the explanation on the Disney Parks Blog, it is an excellent place to get updates on most everything.People in wheel chairs usually do not need a card. They can either wait in the regular queue or receive a time to return. Good luck I have not been this year so this info could have changed a bit.
    DISNEYDUDE47 "Your dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Bianca View Post
    Does anyone know if you can take wheelchairs through queues? What happens to them when you get on the ride. I can't stand for extended amounts of time, and would like to have the wheelchair in the queue if needed. Also, at the resorts, I'm staying at the Poly, can you get a wheelchair just to get you to the monorail, or can they give you a ride on a golf cart? Thanks for any help!
    My oldest sister is disabled and has to use a wheelchair while at WDW. Her wheelchair has always gotten through the queues. My dad usually pushes her up to the ride or she may have to take 5-10 steps to the ride. The only problem we have encountered is the rides like Peter Pan or Spaceship Earth where the belt moves constantly. If you ask a CM to slow it down they will though.

A CM will move your wheelchair to the exit if the ride. For example, when we exit POTC the wheelchair is against the wall. The CM is really patient has we jump out to get the chair and help her out of the boat.

I'm not sure how it works at the resort because my sister has her own wheelchair. I hope I was able to answer your other questions though!

Well, thank you so much for all your help...I'm just at the point where I need a little help with all that walking and standing.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Bianca View Post
    Well, thank you so much for all your help...I'm just at the point where I need a little help with all that walking and standing.
    No problem!