Disney World in a ECV

Disney World in a ECV

Hi all,

My husband and myself are traveling to Disney world in September.
    I have Psoriatic Spondylitis Arthritis, due to complications I ended up back on crutches.
    Unfortunately I think I'll still be on the crutches by then as I can't walk/ stand without them for more than a few minutes.
    But I'm not going to let it spoil my enjoyment of rides and roller coasters.
    My husband and I have discussed this and have come to the conclusion that ill probably be better hiring a ECV while we're on holiday.
    Now I'm wondering/worrying, are there any rides I won't be able to go on?
    I know that there will be rides that ill have to transfer from the ECV, but will there be any that I just can't use?
    Also, how far in advance would I have to book my ECV, and if I'm staying on Disney property (POFQ) can I book it through them?
    Thanks in advance for and replies given
    Jan
    x

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney

If your question is will you not be able to ride a ride Because of the ecv the answer is no. The answer is yes if your condition doesn't allow you to get on a certain ride.
    Last edited by Freshee61; 05-18-2013 at 07:15 AM.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Re: Disney World in a ECV

you can reserve your ecv now, better safe than sorry. However, the hotel should have wheelchairs on site. So, if an ecv is not available, you can still get by with a wheelchair. We checked in to Coronado Springs last Christmas and were able to obtain a wheelchair for the wife for the duration of our trip.
    Enjoy your time, bring your crutches, so you can transfer easily.
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, The Disney Life for Me!
    The Montagna Family

D.V.C. members: home - Saratoga Springs

Renting an ECV from an off site company is normally the cheapest. I have problems with my ankle and knee due to a car accident and went to Disney one year and thoughts would be able to go without an ECV boy was I wrong. I ended up paying to rent the one for the park and paid 80 per day, got 20 of it back when I returned it at the end of each day. Since then I always book one from an off site company which will deliver and pick up from my resort. We leave in 6 days for a 6 day stay. For the whole stay the ECV cost me a little over 200.
    As for rides I have never had any problems with being able to ride rides. There are only 2 that give me problems those are Space Mountain and Astro Orbitor both due to the ride vehicles.

I booked one last year from offsite company and all was fine. I went on every single ride I think sometimes have to change into a wheelchair but that's fine.

Just google Florida scooter rentals and away you go.

Thanks for your replies.

We went to WDW 2 years ago but my back wasn't as bad then.
    I did find that Space Mountain and Dinosaur rides were too severe for my back then, so ill give them a miss this time too.

Ill google EVC rentals see who will deliver to POFQ.
    Thank you
    Jan
    x

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney

You should also check with your doctor to see what he/she suggests regarding the rides you are able to go on without adding stress to your body. If you are going in Sept. you should check out the Halloween Party if it falls on a day you are there - I know it starts mid sept. have fun !

My Dr said to me go enjoy yourself have fun, do what you think you can we'll worry about it when you come home lol. That is the same philosophy I will take next year too when I come.

I loved Space Mountain, believe it or not it was the little train in Animal Kingdom that jarred my back always the way. Thank goodness for the painkillers lol

Quote Originally Posted by peg_leg5125 View Post
    My Dr said to me go enjoy yourself have fun, do what you think you can we'll worry about it when you come home lol. That is the same philosophy I will take next year too when I come.

I loved Space Mountain, believe it or not it was the little train in Animal Kingdom that jarred my back always the way. Thank goodness for the painkillers lol
    And that train isn't worth it either! We were really disappointed last time we rode out there. I would have been even more upset if my back got all messed up because of it!

Your Drs advice is great! But he obviously knew your body could handle rides, it's just up to you if you want to or not.

My little boy enjoyed it and that's what mattered.

Since then I've been told not much any Drs can do for my back so I plan to have as much fun as I can while my back holds up

Quote Originally Posted by Kris315 View Post
    You should also check with your doctor to see what he/she suggests regarding the rides you are able to go on without adding stress to your body. If you are going in Sept. you should check out the Halloween Party if it falls on a day you are there - I know it starts mid sept. have fun !
    My rheumatologist always says - You know your body best, you have been to WDW before and know what rides you can handle.

I haven't been while on crutches and using an ECV before though.

Sent from my iPhone using telepathy...

Am sure you will be fine. You know your own body better than anyone. The nice warm Florida sun helps too. I just wish I could move there permanently lol.