Florida overturns law stopping Brits renting cars with their UK driving licences

Florida overturns law stopping Brits renting cars with their UK driving licences

A new law which banned holidaymakers from driving cars in Florida unless they had an international driving permit has been repealed.

The U-turn comes after British visitors carrying a UK driving licence suddenly found themselves unable to hire cars in the popular holiday destination, without warning.

The law calling for an International Driving Permit (IDP) was quietly introduced in January without notifying travel companies, meaning they were unable to advise holidaymakers on how to proceed.

Britons can hire cars in Florida without an International Driving Permit after a new law was overturned.

The first anyone knew of the law was when a British tourist was told he could not hire a car he had pre-booked at a Florida airport as he only had a UK driving licence. When he called the AA, who provided his travel insurance, they were completely unaware of the new regulations, as was its American counterpart the AAA.

Rosie Sanderson, head of AA International Travel said: “It was an ill-considered piece of legislation that was primarily aimed at holders of foreign language driving licences and it caused considerable confusion within the lucrative fly-drive market in Florida."

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...n-new-law.html
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Re: Florida overturns law stopping Brits renting cars with their UK driving licences

The article is sortof misleading. The original law was not aimed at international tourists, rather unlicensed migrant workers. But, the law of unintended consequences!

Also, the International Drivers Permit is a joke! We deal with them all the time. It's as simple as paying for one!
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Re: Florida overturns law stopping Brits renting cars with their UK driving licences

I believe the same silly law was overturned for Canadians too. Although I'm not sure if it affects the folks from Quebec whose license may only be in French. My understanding was that the police in Florida has trouble understanding driver licenses that were not written in (or did not contain) English.

Quote Originally Posted by the6lees View Post
    I believe the same silly law was overturned for Canadians too. Although I'm not sure if it affects the folks from Quebec whose license may only be in French. My understanding was that the police in Florida has trouble understanding driver licenses that were not written in (or did not contain) English.
    I would assume that it applies to all international visitors. The quote was just taken from a UK newspaper.
    Just a dream away!

In any case, it is a rather silly law! Especially since the IDP doesn't really ensure you know all of the driving rules and customs of the place you are visiting.

Man, what were they thinking?

Or maybe it is obvious that they weren't? ( grin )
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

I don't think anyone really knows the driving laws on countries they visit. The whole turning right on red question on the other thread proves that.

But then an IDP really wouldn't help if it's just something you have to request in advance.
    Just a dream away!