Military Discounts

Military Discounts

I'm new to the Disney experience so welcome any and all tips!! We will be taking our 3, 10 and 12 year old children to Disney in December 2013. We will be traveling with my brother and his wife and children. Being such a newbie, I'm definitely getting overwhelmed trying to make this trip affordable. My husband and brother are both in the military and we had heard there are military discounts offered. Does anyone know if the park ticket discounts will be renewed? Right now they are set to expire at the end of September. We contacted Shades of Green and although their website shows they have availability, when we talked to them, they were very rude, stating that their website was wrong. Any tips on what we can do to find some good pricing for soldiers and their families? Thanks so much!!!!

Re: Military Discounts

HI!! We are military as well (now retired) and we have been using the Armed Forces Salute for years now! It is a great program!! It is hard to know exactly when they will announce renewal or not, but I can tell you that last year they announced it around the beginning of August. SO, hopefully they will be announcing it soon! We stayed at Shades of Green on one of our trips, and although it was a very nice resort, I have found that it is not always the cheapest option. Disney also offers a military discount on their rooms. You can call them directly and ask them about it. I know the amount of the discount varies based on the type of room you reserve. We like to stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort. The resort is amazing! I rent my rooms from timeshare owners on either craigslist or ebay. This past May, I paid $375 for 4 nights in a 3 brd condo!!!The 3 brd will sleep 10 people, so maybe you could all stay in one condo and share that expense? We had a full kitchen and the resort has grills for you to use, so we saved a TON of $$ on meals!! Also, as long as you are active duty, you can register online and receive 4 free passes to either Sea World or Busch Gardens!! We did this one year, then he retired so we no longer qualify . I hope that I helped a little bit, and I hope that you have a wonderful vacation!!

- - - Updated - - -

PS... Although it is not in the heart of Disney World like Shades of Green is, Bonnet Creek is located on property. It does have a bus that goes to the parks, but it is $5 per person per day. If you will have a car, it is just as easy to park at the parks.

Quote Originally Posted by browns3030 View Post
    HI!! We are military as well (now retired) and we have been using the Armed Forces Salute for years now! It is a great program!! It is hard to know exactly when they will announce renewal or not, but I can tell you that last year they announced it around the beginning of August. SO, hopefully they will be announcing it soon! We stayed at Shades of Green on one of our trips, and although it was a very nice resort, I have found that it is not always the cheapest option. Disney also offers a military discount on their rooms. You can call them directly and ask them about it. I know the amount of the discount varies based on the type of room you reserve. We like to stay at Wyndham Bonnet Creek resort. The resort is amazing! I rent my rooms from timeshare owners on either craigslist or ebay. This past May, I paid $375 for 4 nights in a 3 brd condo!!!The 3 brd will sleep 10 people, so maybe you could all stay in one condo and share that expense? We had a full kitchen and the resort has grills for you to use, so we saved a TON of $$ on meals!! Also, as long as you are active duty, you can register online and receive 4 free passes to either Sea World or Busch Gardens!! We did this one year, then he retired so we no longer qualify . I hope that I helped a little bit, and I hope that you have a wonderful vacation!!

- - - Updated - - -

PS... Although it is not in the heart of Disney World like Shades of Green is, Bonnet Creek is located on property. It does have a bus that goes to the parks, but it is $5 per person per day. If you will have a car, it is just as easy to park at the parks.
    Thank you so much!!! This is new info I had not heard yet so it defInitely gives us some options to look into! Which did you find was easier (convenience) having a car or using the bus? Thanks again! Off to do more searching!

We are anxiously awaiting the announcement of the new military discount. My family is going in October.

We have done it both ways, and we just prefer to have a car. If you are not staying at a Disney hotel, you have to find your own way to your hotel. Shades of Green does not offer airport service, nor does Bonnet Creek. For the money you would spend on a shuttle ride there and back to the airport, you can rent a car for about the same price. I have never paid more than about $150 to rent a car for the week. This then also gives you the freedom to run into town for a few groceries if you want, or go to a restaurant off property. Granted, it costs $14 per day to park at a park, but you only pay that once per day. You are free to come and go and park at as many of the parks as you want during that day. The buses run fairly frequently, so catching a bus at a park is not usually a problem. However, depending on which resort you are staying at, it could take you a long time to make it back to your room based on stops and such. We used the Shades of Green buses and thought it was efficient, but again, we just like to know we can come and go as we please.

Not sure if everyone has heard yet, but Disney DID renew the Armed Forces Salute for another year!! The prices did go up a tiny bit, but still a steal compared to regular gate prices! The salute is as follows:
    Four-Day Park Hopper Tickets for $169.00
    Four-Day Water Park and More Tickets for $169.00
    Four-Day Park Hopper Tickets plus the Water Park and More Option for $198.00
    These tickets can be purchased at Shades of Green, your local Base Ticket Office, or Disney Theme Park ticket booths (Tax will be added at Disney ticket booths).
    Blockout dates (Dates that these tickets may not be used):
    20 - 31 December 2013 (No Theme Park or Water Park Use)
    13 - 20 April 2014 (No Theme Park or Water Park Use)
    4 July 2014 (No Magic Kingdom Use)