Desperately seeking somewhere to stay with our dog!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Desperately seeking somewhere to stay with our dog!

We are thinking about bringing our dog with us on our upcoming December WDW trip, so I'm looking for advice on where to stay. Our plan would be to let him stay at Disney's kennel during the daytime, then bring him back to our hotel or rental at night to be with us.

Any recommendations on where we can stay? I've seen Orlando vacation rentals that look pretty amazing for less than $150 per night, but I have no idea which ones are reliable.

We normally stay on property at Pop Century or Art of Animation and haven't been back to WDW since we adopted him.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

I don't think animals are allowed at the regular resorts, they are allowed if you stay at the Campgrounds though.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney

Re: Desperately seeking somewhere to stay with our dog!

How big is your puppy? The Wyndham Bonnet Creek allows pet up to 25 lbs and I heard much good about them. Our dog would be too big though (40 lbs).

Alternatively look for a real good kennel in your area. We have one here were the dogs have different play yards where they can run and play with each other all day, that is where Dexter stays when we travel. He loves it.
    09/02/2014 5th anniversary Disney trip "The Beauty and the beast, Sonja&Tommy"
    October 2009 honeymoon PO

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    We are thinking about bringing our dog with us on our upcoming December WDW trip, so I'm looking for advice on where to stay. Our plan would be to let him stay at Disney's kennel during the daytime, then bring him back to our hotel or rental at night to be with us.

Any recommendations on where we can stay? I've seen Orlando vacation rentals that look pretty amazing for less than $150 per night, but I have no idea which ones are reliable.

We normally stay on property at Pop Century or Art of Animation and haven't been back to WDW since we adopted him.
    There was a dog kennel being built just near the Port Orleans French quarter about 2 yrs ago. It was more like a doggie resort and kitty condo's. The price wasn't too bad when I checked last year. You may want to try there. If I remember too, they built dog walks so you could go and walk your 4 legged family member. Might be worth checking it out. Best Friends Pet Care and here is the link

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...ends-pet-care/
    Last edited by dsmolij; 08-08-2013 at 10:33 PM. Reason: forgot a comment
    Me: WDW - 120 Times, Disneyland 2 Times
    My Son: WDW 19 Times

We brought our dog with us on our vacation last year and she spent her time at Best Friend Pet Care (near Port Orleans). We were able to go see her everyday. No issues at all. We were pleased with them and the cost was reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by the6lees View Post
    We brought our dog with us on our vacation last year and she spent her time at Best Friend Pet Care (near Port Orleans). We were able to go see her everyday. No issues at all. We were pleased with them and the cost was reasonable.
    Yes, I've used Best Friend. What I meant was, there's no place on Disney property, other than the Campgrounds that allow you to keep pets. I said that because you mentioned that you always stay at Pop and AOA.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. We go to WDW several times a year, but we just adopted the dog a few months ago and we're trying to figure out how we can bring him.

I've heard very good things about Best Friends, so that would be a good place for him during the day, but I want him with us overnight.

We thought about an RV, but it gets pretty expensive to rent both the RV and the space at Ft Wilderness (like I said, we're used to the Value Resorts). And the idea of an RV bathroom gives me the creeps a little.

Sunray4life, I'll check out the Wyndham Bonnet Creek. My pup is 20 pounds.

I couldn't leave him in a kennel for six nights. He is used to sleeping with us. That's where he belongs!
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

I know! I couldn't imagine just adopting a pup and then leaving him in a strange environment. We had just adopted our pup when we went to Dis that year. We drove down and went to Universal first and had him w/ us at Extended Stay. Then when we went to Dis we had him at Best Friends. It was hard, but I would've much rather had him where I could see him everyday as opposed to him being left at home and not seeing him for weeks. A lot of the hotels allow animals off property so you could consider staying off property just this once and then crate him when you are at the parks. That's what we did while at Universal. They only charge like $10-20 extra a night. Hope that helps.

Does Best Friends let you rent a little room for daycare dogs? I don't want him in a tiny, gloomy crate-type thing.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

I know it is not taking him with you but do you know a college student or a person in their 20's who still lives at home? They could stay at your house with the dog so he is still in his environment and that person can have a vacation from their parents. Hehe. We had my cousin stay at our house with the dog. It was a win win in my mind.

Also check with your vets office sometime they can refer you to a person who babysits dogs in their home.

I put our dog in a kennel for 2 days before when we were at the beach I cried so hard leaving her.

Does Best Friends let you rent a little room for daycare dogs? I don't want him in a tiny, gloomy crate-type thing.
    Not sure. You can always call them and ask.

Check out the link I posted last night. They also have pictures including a dog park. They even read the dogs bedtime stories for an extra fee of course. They do have a doggy day care as well as a web cam to see your pet. I would just go to best friends web site and browse. My sisters dog loves it there.
    Last edited by dsmolij; 08-09-2013 at 10:58 PM.

There is no way I would let anyone stay in our place when we're on vacation. We lock it up and turn on the alarm when we leave. And a college kid I don't know who needs to get away from parents? In my house? Yikes!

I've seen photos of Best Friends rooms, but I was wondering if they rent them for daycare. Especially the indoor/outdoor rooms with patios. I guess I'll call and find out.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

Oh I didn't mean a stranger. I meant a relative or very close friend of family. And of course not a wild college kid. I had my very responsible college aged cousin stay at our place but like I said we know him very well and trusted he would not have a "party". He was just happy to have the freedom of not having his parents and younger siblings in his business for a few days.

There is no way I would let anyone stay in our place when we're on vacation. We lock it up and turn on the alarm when we leave. And a college kid I don't know who needs to get away from parents? In my house? Yikes!

I've seen photos of Best Friends rooms, but I was wondering if they rent them for daycare. Especially the indoor/outdoor rooms with patios. I guess I'll call and find out.
    They do have a doggy daycare. So if you want to stay at one of the off site resorts or campgrounds you can drop the furbaby off for the day and then pick him or her up. From what I saw online cant remember if if was $27 or 28/day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast