Kids in bars?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kids in bars?

Kids in bars?

I wish WDW had no-kid zones in the resort bars. I know this is probably going to start a big debate (let's not get mean), but bars are adult places to begin with. I understand that sometimes parents have to take their kids into bars when they're on their WDW trips, but what would be so wrong with having a no-kid area of the bar?

When my DH and I were there celebrating an anniversary, we were in a quiet "booth" of The Wave , which can be such a nice getaway. Then, a family with loud out-of-control kids came in and sat right in our area, ruining the mood and making this dark bar feel more like a Chuck E Cheese restaurant (I've never been to one, but I imagine that's what it's like).

I'm just saying there should be ways for adults to have quiet drinks away from the chaos while on WDW trips. WDW is definitely for kids, but it's also for adults and romantic vacations like honeymoons.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Re: Kids in bars?

agreed, there is no adult that needs to go to a bar with a kid plan something else or go somewhere else. If its like say Rain Forrest Cafe' than i can understand.... I dont know what the Wave is, but im with ya!

MB
    Mike
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    30+ trips and counting to WDW
    EW Contemp. 83, Contemp. 84, Ft. Wilderness 85 EW Contemp. 86,Class trip 86, Oak Island Cove 02, Radisson 03, Radisson 03, POR 04, Radisson 04 Renaissance Inn 04, POR 2\05, POP 3\05, POR 06, POR 07, POR 08, AKL 10\08, AKL 3\09, Jambo House 5\09........ too many to list now :-)

I LOVE going into a nice bar and enjoying a drink on my Vacay! But I DO have my 2 kids in tow almost all the time, (esp. at WDW) and I agree that there should be a place where people who DONT have their kids with them can go enjoy a QUIET drink. Alice, your idea is PERFECT. Why not set aside a "Kid free" zone in each bar??
    "Clean cup, Clean cup! MOVE DOOOWWNN!"

I agree. At the local Red Robin Restaurant by our house, the have an over 21 section and a family section. I think it works out nicely. There's a good separation between the two areas. I could see Disney doing something like that.

Ill play devils advocate

While I agree that kids have no business being in any bar there comes a time where there is an exception to the rule and wdw is it.
    The reason being most wdw patrons go with children and most are not aware of kid clubs, daycare etc or simply do not want to pay the extra fee for them.
    Now, I have children so basically I'm going to have to say as for myself i have double standards. This upcoming trip hubby and I are leaving the kids behind and I hope sure hope I don't get any unruly children for our special anniversary dinner/ bar/ outing ( but if theyre there its a part of life) but if I was taking them be sure that unfortunately ( i have one of those unruly kids) we will still be going.
    It's a fact of life some kids will be kids. In reality they have their rights to act like kids and the parent has the option to correct or not to correct behavior on their outing.
    Last edited by Freshee61; 08-20-2013 at 10:23 AM.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

They have child-free areas on DCL. I wish WDW would do the same thing (especially with the bars)
    Dream: Feb 12-16, 2012,Fantasy: 20-27, 2012, Dream: Sept 8-12, 2013,Magic: Jan 20-24, 2014,Dream: Sept 14-18, 2015
    TD Moderator

I do have kids but I totally agree with Alice. I think that there should even be a few restaurant in Disney where kids shouldn't be allowed after a certain hour. This way someone enjoying an adult only outing (maybe you have kids but have a sitter for the evening) can enjoy some Kid free time. Haha right now my kids are 3 years old and 8 months old - they are just loud - I could use quiet here and there. My hubby and I are headed to DW for food and wine and are going kid free! I do feel guilty but it will be nice to have some time away!

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post
    Ill play devils advocate

While I agree that kids have no business being in any bar there comes a time where there is an exception to the rule and wdw is it.
    The reason being most wdw patrons go with children and most are not aware of kid clubs, daycare etc or simply do not want to pay the extra fee for them.
    Now, I have children so basically I'm going to have to say as for myself i have double standards. This upcoming trip hubby and I are leaving the kids behind and I hope sure hope I don't get any unruly children for our special anniversary dinner/ bar/ outing ( but if theyre there its a part of life) but if I was taking them be sure that unfortunately ( i have one of those unruly kids) we will still be going.
    It's a fact of life some kids will be kids. In reality they have their rights to act like kids and the parent has the option to correct or not to correct behavior on their outing.
    I think a kid-free area would solve the problem. That way, anyone can go to the bar, but those who would like to be away from kids can go to a certain area of the bar.
    Last edited by Curious Alice; 08-20-2013 at 11:16 AM.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by mberenato View Post
    agreed, there is no adult that needs to go to a bar with a kid plan something else or go somewhere else. If its like say Rain Forrest Cafe' than i can understand.... I dont know what the Wave is, but im with ya!

MB
    The Wave is a restaurant and bar in the Contemporary.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post
    Ill play devils advocate

Much as I hate to admit it, I kind of agree (shock, horror!!).

WDW is primarily a place for kids and I think you have to accept that when you go to any bar, restaurant or anywhere else within WDW, ankle-biters will be in plentiful supply.

HOWEVER!!!!!

Bars are primarily places where adults to go to drink fally-over juice. Parents therefore need to bear in mind that they may see sights and hear sounds in bars that are less "Disney friendly" than they'd see whilst wandering down Main Street.

And as far as I can see, the real problem doesn't lie with the unruly kids anyway - it lies with the parents that allow their kids to be unruly.

Personally, I think it's a little selfish if you go to WDW with your kids but then spend that long in a bar that the kids start running amok. Sure - pop in for a quick one (or two) but I think some parents could do with remembering that it's not all about them!

Same applies about late night dining with young kids (sorry - another gripe of mine!). Some parents just don't seem to care that their kids are desperately tired and are screaming the place down as a result.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    They have child-free areas on DCL. I wish WDW would do the same thing (especially with the bars)
    They used to have it...it was called Pleasure Island. (Grin)
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

I don't know...WDW is a HUGE place and really, what would it hurt to designate one corner of a bar as adults only? WDW may be primarily for kids, but weddings and honeymoons are big business for them, too.

I agree very much about parents being responsible for their children's behavior. My parents would NEVER have allowed us to yell or run rampant in a restaurant or bar!!! We were taught respect and good manners early on.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    Yep and they have free child care included in price and the way prices are at wdw they should offer this feature!

Talk Disney Moderator

if they can have a restaurant w no kiddies allowed in like say the GF than they can certainly have a bar where no kiddies are allowed.
    MB
    Mike
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    30+ trips and counting to WDW
    EW Contemp. 83, Contemp. 84, Ft. Wilderness 85 EW Contemp. 86,Class trip 86, Oak Island Cove 02, Radisson 03, Radisson 03, POR 04, Radisson 04 Renaissance Inn 04, POR 2\05, POP 3\05, POR 06, POR 07, POR 08, AKL 10\08, AKL 3\09, Jambo House 5\09........ too many to list now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post

They used to have it...it was called Pleasure Island. (Grin)
    Whaaaaatttttt!!!! ????? (Going to go cry)

Talk Disney Moderator

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast