Kids in bars? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kids in bars?

Re: Kids in bars?

In this area here we have dine in cinemas that do not allow under 21 in films after 8 pm, no matter if with parents or not. Something like that seems to do their business good - and I certainly prefer going in the evening without the crying baby in my film (Again, it's not the baby that is the problem. In my days you would have gone outside with the kid and tried to calm it down instead of waiting it out for 30 minutes for everybody else in the cinema to enjoy).

I plan to celebrate our 5th anniversary in a Disney restaurant and will most likely shoot for one of the more expensive places, hoping that it keeps the "unruly kid fraction" a bit at bay. But certainly I would enjoy an "adult" area in some establishments. And it is for me a huge issue that parents decide to enjoy their dinner and therefore let their kids to whatever they want and get on other people's nerves. (We had one kid who was literally sitting down at our table and could not be deterred by us trying to eat and send him back to his parents, and the parents were nowhere in sight. I mean, come on!I like kids, but when I go out I probably don't want to be your babysitter.)
    When I was little, you sat your butt down and waited till dinner was over. But times have changed, and if having an adult section is the solution to the problem, I don't see how it could cost Disney money. It seems to be a rather simple solution to make the trip for everybody more enjoyable.
    09/02/2014 5th anniversary Disney trip "The Beauty and the beast, Sonja&Tommy"
    October 2009 honeymoon PO

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post

Whaaaaatttttt!!!! ????? (Going to go cry)
    Oops, I read it too fast. i thought englangg was naming a free childcare place in wdw and not pleasure island. Doh.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

I quite like the family atmosphere, even in bars - just so long as the kids are well behaved.

The problem with adult only areas is that it encourages many adults to forget how to behave too!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Well said, Sunray4life!

One time we were eating dinner at an outside table on the BoardWalk at WDW and a party consisting of two couples and about six children were seated right next to us. It was pure chaos while they were being seated, and my DH and I were thinking about moving to a different table.

But once they were seated, it all settled down and the kids were very well behaved. At one point, a toddler started to act up and the father immediately scooped him up and took him for a walk until he calmed down. That's good parenting! (Well, except for the chaos during the seating...LOL)
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

well.... outside seating is different, i have a little trick for that i learned at the Cantina in the World Showcase. So, if they are unruly and parents just dont care.... i take some chips, food or whatever and toss it under or around there table so they are inundated with the birds hanging out for a wayward treat, if it doesnt work the first time, rinse and repeat!. So yes, if that was you getting bird bombed on your last visit and couldn't figure out why, it was me sitting next to you.

MB
    Mike
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    30+ trips and counting to WDW
    EW Contemp. 83, Contemp. 84, Ft. Wilderness 85 EW Contemp. 86,Class trip 86, Oak Island Cove 02, Radisson 03, Radisson 03, POR 04, Radisson 04 Renaissance Inn 04, POR 2\05, POP 3\05, POR 06, POR 07, POR 08, AKL 10\08, AKL 3\09, Jambo House 5\09........ too many to list now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    I don't know...WDW is a HUGE place and really, what would it hurt to designate one corner of a bar as adults only? WDW may be primarily for kids, but weddings and honeymoons are big business for them, too.

I agree very much about parents being responsible for their children's behavior. My parents would NEVER have allowed us to yell or run rampant in a restaurant or bar!!! We were taught respect and good manners early on.
    I agree. My parents were so strict on us while we were on vacation that we knew better than to act crazy or we were going home! If parents would discipline their kids more on an everyday basis they wouldn't go crazy while they are on vacation! I have friends with kids that say that their kids are not ready for Disney and it's good that they know that. Hence if you know how your kids are, you should change your idea of going to a restaurant and bar to a quick service type venue to get them fed and out!
    Last edited by Tinker Britt; 10-09-2013 at 11:52 AM.
    "Faith is a bluebird you see from a far. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star"
    Magical Disney Trips circa 1989
    1991*1994*1997*2003*2011*2013

Quote Originally Posted by mberenato View Post
    well.... outside seating is different, i have a little trick for that i learned at the Cantina in the World Showcase. So, if they are unruly and parents just dont care.... i take some chips, food or whatever and toss it under or around there table so they are inundated with the birds hanging out for a wayward treat, if it doesnt work the first time, rinse and repeat!. So yes, if that was you getting bird bombed on your last visit and couldn't figure out why, it was me sitting next to you.

MB
    LOL! That is hilarious!

I think children these days are just not as disciplined as they used to be (for the most part). I would never have dreamed of acting up at a restaurant. Parents just need to know when to exit if their children are just not cooperating, out of courtesy for the other patrons. I also agree with Curious Alice that it wouldn't hurt to have a designated part of a bar for adults only.
    “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

I agree they need to have adult only areas in some bars. But I got to say the saddest part of Disney for me is seeing families where they adults believe this is a vacation is for them. I understand Disney is expense and a lot of people only have this one vacation a year but if your there with your kids it's for them. Watching kids meltdown at the park or in restaurants just makes me hurt for them. I have heard a lot parents screaming at the top of there lungs that all of this is for them and they better have fun. Not only do parents need to parent on vacation they need to actually speak to their children and ask them what they want to do. Before kids we could go to the park from open to close and then go to a nice late dinner. Now we go late in the morning and usually leave before any shows, because the kids are over stimulated and done. We use to go to nice places for dinner almost every night, now we go once early as not to disturb our kids schedule and not bother other guest who deserve a nice dinner in a nice place too. I really don't understand families that don't realize that this is a finite amount of time that your kids are kids and these memories will last a lifetime. We go as a family and enjoy being there as a family.

I really feel for the children that are being ignored at the bar by there parents because I always think is that what they will remember of Disney watching mom and dad getting drunk at the happiest place on earth. I wish Disney would make all bars adult only since parents don't seem to know how to be parents. Sorry for the rant. Just my opinion

I wouldn't take my kid into a bar, vacation or not. There are plenty of places at Disney to get a drink besides in an intimate bar. Such as pool bars while the other parent is watching the kid swim, or at Epcot when you're walking around or having dinner.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    Laur

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofdis View Post
    I really feel for the children that are being ignored at the bar by there parents because I always think is that what they will remember of Disney watching mom and dad getting drunk at the happiest place on earth. I wish Disney would make all bars adult only since parents don't seem to know how to be parents. Sorry for the rant. Just my opinion
    Worth adding though that many people only seem to think of bars as a place to "get drunk".

We've seen many people (and have ourselves) just popping to to enjoy a relaxing drink without getting drunk.
    Just a dream away!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    Worth adding though that many people only seem to think of bars as a place to "get drunk".

We've seen many people (and have ourselves) just popping to to enjoy a relaxing drink without getting drunk.
    Yes, I agree most people can just enjoy a drink at a bar without getting drunk, but of coarse there are always exceptions. I have been in guest services in Epcot when they have received calls of people fighting during Illuminations at the rose and crown in front of there children. I was totally shocked. When I spoke to the cm I did asked how often this happened? She said unfortunately quite often. And did imply that people often take drinking around the world to far. I do think most people can handle having a drink or 2 or 3 fine, but some people and I think we've all seen them especially at Epcot take it way to far. I know I ranted before but I really wish people would see that Disney is a magical place for children and should be kept that way. Real life comes to fast, we should all let them enjoy it as much as we can

There is only one night I set aside for myself to drink at Disney. It's a place where I can drink and my kids can be loud. So if Disney can create a place like that surly they can come up with a no kid zone

Totally depends on what time of day and why you are there. I've taken my kids to top of the world lounge for dinner. Some "bars" at disney have good food. Would never take them late at night while I drink!!! It would be great if there was a kid free zone!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post

Exactly. We stop to have a leisurely drink and bar food at resorts and in parks often when we're at WDW. Sometimes we go to the bars for lunch or dinner. It's a nice way to try the food at some of the resort restaurants when you can't get a reservation.

There are people who like to "drink around the world" at Epcot, unfortunately, but I haven't seen a lot of drunk and disorderly people in all the times I've been to WDW.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    There are people who like to "drink around the world" at Epcot, unfortunately, but I haven't seen a lot of drunk and disorderly people in all the times I've been to WDW.
    We drink around the world - but in our own way.

It's not a challenge to drink in every country. We just stop wherever we fancy. Often it's spread over several days (why cram it all in to a drunken haze?).

Champagne on the lakeside in France is perfect. Cider on the seats outside the UK shops is great for people watching. Outpost beers in the shade, a Tsingtao in China and of course, Margaritas in La Cava.

I'd recommend our more leisurely version of drinking around the world to anyone.
    Just a dream away!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast