wheelchair tips and info please

wheelchair tips and info please

So this is the first trip we are going to need to think about wheelchair rental. My 80-year old grandmother is joining us (4 generations!!). She has recently had a pacemaker put in and is scheduled for knee surgery this winter which is long overdue.

Originally I was just going to do park rental, but after spending the week with her at the Jersey Shore, I have realized that even walking around our resort (AoA) will be too much for her.

Can anyone recommend a wheelchair rental company for the duration of our stay? One that will deliver and pick up the chair from the resort at the start and finish of the trip? Reasonably priced? I know park only rental from disney is about $10-12/day. Looking for something comparable. We do not want motorized, as that will probably lead to more problems...lol. Just something I can push and fold up for buses.

Also, if anyone has any other tips about wheelchairs in WDW I
    would greatly appreciate any info. Thanks :-)
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

Re: wheelchair tips and info please

We have been looking into scooters and wheelchairs for our Disney vacation and found that applescooter.com/Orlando has by far the best prices and is about 1/3 the price of Disney rentals. They are located right outside disneys west gate and are a Disney authorized dealer. They also deliver to the resorts and pick up your rentals.
    Pete & Lisa

Re: wheelchair tips and info please

Disney has five approved companies that they allow length-of-stay rentals from (for drop off & pick up at resort, that is). Here's a link to their site with all the info:

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...chair-rentals/
    Last edited by [email protected]; 09-04-2013 at 11:36 AM.
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Am sure there is a company called yellow scooter hire or something like that, they do wheelchairs as well I think and I've found them cheaper than anything else around. Free pick up and drop off too!

Disney lied. I went to Walt Disney World last week ( 12- 2013) and they said that they were not issuing disabled people any disability cards. Guests with disabilities are screwed, and they now have to wait in all regular lines in wheelchair and all. At the Haunted house guests with disabilities were not allowed to fast track at all, while guests with special access without disabilities were. At Epcot they only had one very slow elevator for two major rides at Sorin and the Land. Guests in wheelchairs had an extra two hour wait just to get to the end of the lines there. The elevator only fits one wheelchair at a time and it is very slow. Disney has said the heck to all those of us with disabilities like me with muscular dystrophy , you are all screwed. If you are disabled and you want to go to a Walt Disney park , any of them, get ready to be treated as a second class citizen. then after you leave Disney will not even take your complaint in the form of a phone call.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyGA View Post
    Disney lied. I went to Walt Disney World last week ( 12- 2013) and they said that they were not issuing disabled people any disability cards. Guests with disabilities are screwed, and they now have to wait in all regular lines in wheelchair and all. At the Haunted house guests with disabilities were not allowed to fast track at all, while guests with special access without disabilities were. At Epcot they only had one very slow elevator for two major rides at Sorin and the Land. Guests in wheelchairs had an extra two hour wait just to get to the end of the lines there. The elevator only fits one wheelchair at a time and it is very slow. Disney has said the heck to all those of us with disabilities like me with muscular dystrophy , you are all screwed. If you are disabled and you want to go to a Walt Disney park , any of them, get ready to be treated as a second class citizen. then after you leave Disney will not even take your complaint in the form of a phone call.

I'm sorry you feel that way. Why is waiting in line, like everyone else, such a hardship? I really want to understand. It sounds like you can wait if you need to and if the queue allows room you can use the regular line like everyone else. How is that being treated like a second class citizen? If anything, you are being treated like everyone else. You also say you saw people with special access without disabilities allowed to fast track. Maybe their disabilities are not visible and maybe they were just using the new Fastpass+ system. You don't know what their circumstances are. No one likes to wait but that is part of the Disney experience one way or another. It's all about attitude and making the best of it.

Again, I'm really sorry you did not have a good experience.

Quote Originally Posted by lunachica View Post
    I'm sorry you feel that way. Why is waiting in line, like everyone else, such a hardship? I really want to understand. It sounds like you can wait if you need to and if the queue allows room you can use the regular line like everyone else. How is that being treated like a second class citizen? If anything, you are being treated like everyone else. You also say you saw people with special access without disabilities allowed to fast track. Maybe their disabilities are not visible and maybe they were just using the new Fastpass+ system. You don't know what their circumstances are. No one likes to wait but that is part of the Disney experience one way or another. It's all about attitude and making the best of it. Again, I'm really sorry you did not have a good experience.
    You said what I was thinking, but couldn't figure out how to say.

-sent with pixie dust from my iphone-
    Kristin
    Wife to Jeffrey
    Mom to Jay & Jack