Polynesian is gettin DVC

Polynesian is gettin DVC

Disney announced officially that DVC is coming to the Polynesian resort. I'm not really sure how I feel about this. I'm kind of annoyed at all of the money they are using for DVC while they continue to raise the prices on tickets, food, and resorts. For those of us who wouldn't benefit from DVC or simply can't afford it, how is this benefiting us? It seems like this is all Disney cares about any more.

Sent from my iPhone using TalkDisney
    Laur

This is coming from www.disneydining.com

Laur

I think the moral of the story is everyone should have bought in the 90's when points weren't extravagantly expensive and they did great points matching and bonuses.

I did see the Grand Floridian DVC model rooms last month and they are beyond gorgeous!

It was only a matter of time for them to go Poly.

Re: Polynesian is gettin DVC

My dream resort!!!!....If I ever the lottery this is the dvc I would buy into for sure!!!! Hey, a girl can dream, right?
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

Thrilled! It's my favorite resort!!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Do you think that with all the DVC on the monorail it'll make the monorails super crowded?

Laur

The only way DVC would be ever in our cards is through a resale, and we would only buy if we actually lived in Florida - it is a good concept if you can use it every year, though the idea to stuff an already existing resort with additional DVC does not sound too attractive to me as a "regular" resort guest. We'll see...
    09/02/2014 5th anniversary Disney trip "The Beauty and the beast, Sonja&Tommy"
    October 2009 honeymoon PO

Quote Originally Posted by laureliz13 View Post
    I'm kind of annoyed at all of the money they are using for DVC while they continue to raise the prices on tickets, food, and resorts. For those of us who wouldn't benefit from DVC or simply can't afford it, how is this benefiting us? It seems like this is all Disney cares about any more.
    I completely agree!

Disney are throwing up DVC properties left, right and centre but aren't then making enough improvements in the parks to accommodate the extra visitor numbers or to keep me wanting to come back year after year. It's all getting a bit "samey" each time we visit.

DVC is a great quick fix for WDW in terms of income generation but, with the exception of the annual dues, surely it's a one-hit wonder for them? To me, it seems like they're going for short term profit rather than securing a strong foundation for future financial strength.

We've looked at DVC before but it just doesn't represent good value. The accommodation cost is just one relatively small part of our total trip cost with air fare from the UK, car rental, food and park tickets (Disney, Sea World and Universal) costing far more when combined. We'd have huge outlay to join DVC but not then reduce the cost of a 14-17 night trip significantly enough to make it worthwhile.

Over the last couple of years, I've seen WDW heading in a direction that I really don't like. Higher crowds, higher costs, insufficient new attractions, ridiculous booking of restaurants 6 months away and even more insane booking of RIDES weeks before. Disney seem to be slowly sapping the fun out of things for us.

Even ignoring the swamping of parks with ever-increasing numbers of DVC members, I'm certainly not going to commit a huge amount of cash to a company who seems less and less interested in it's guests and more and more interested in it's own profit margins.

I'm not that sure I like WDW as a company now so I won't be gambling my cash that they'll still be good to me in ten or twenty years time. So far, the signs of that aren't good!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by laureliz13 View Post
    Do you think that with all the DVC on the monorail it'll make the monorails super crowded?

They have monorails just for the resorts, so I think it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardofdis View Post
    They have monorails just for the resorts, so I think it will be fine.
    That's what I'm talking about... Us "regulars" who choose to stay out of DVC but still stay at monorail resorts. It's going to bulk up numbers at pools, restaurants, everything.

Laur

Quote Originally Posted by jboysmom11 View Post
    I think the moral of the story is everyone should have bought in the 90's when points weren't extravagantly expensive and they did great points matching and bonuses.

I did see the Grand Floridian DVC model rooms last month and they are beyond gorgeous!

It was only a matter of time for them to go Poly.
    So true!! I looked into DVC and couldn't believe the prices! Those who bought in 90's are lucky and will definitely get the most value. I just can't ever see it being as cost effective as it was back then.

I will consider renting points though as you can score a good deal. I'm sure the Polynesian DVC suites will be beautiful!
    “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

Quote Originally Posted by vanessprincess View Post
    So true!! I looked into DVC and couldn't believe the prices! Those who bought in 90's are lucky and will definitely get the most value. I just can't ever see it being as cost effective as it was back then.

I will consider renting points though as you can score a good deal. I'm sure the Polynesian DVC suites will be beautiful!
    We were lucky and bought resale just before the Grand Floridian went on sale. Now even the resale prices are pretty high. Still a lot cheaper than buying direct though! Those prices truly are outrageous. I am curious what the Poly point charts will look like...
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**