kid@heart's October 2013 Trip - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: [email protected]'s October 2013 Trip

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    I'm loving your trip report! I can't wait to read more...
    Thanks!

Also, I meant to say OKW reminded me of POR & CBR...not OKW and CBR, lol.
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Great report! Love the pics!
    “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

OKW sounds awesome! I can't wait to check it out! Love this TR

Quote Originally Posted by vanessprincess View Post
    Great report! Love the pics!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGirl907 View Post
    OKW sounds awesome! I can't wait to check it out! Love this TR
    Is that where you guys are staying?
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Thank you!

Is that where you guys are staying?
    No we are staying at AKL and WL but we are planing on spending a day checking out other DVC resorts. We own at WL and are in the process of buying at SSR. Will you be staying at OKW next time or trying something new?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGirl907 View Post
    No we are staying at AKL and WL but we are planing on spending a day checking out other DVC resorts. We own at WL and are in the process of buying at SSR. Will you be staying at OKW next time or trying something new?
    Oh ok, that sounds fun. It's kind of up in the air right now where we will stay. We are taking my family and were going to do two studios somewhere but now I am leaning towards a 2BR at AKL. We checked that one out on our trip. It's so nice there!

Tuesday, October 15

This morning we lounged around a little, enjoying some coffee and breakfast in our room. Another thing I loved here…full sized coffee pots!

Afterward, we decided to rent a couple of Sea Raycers at the resort and cruise around for a bit. It was an overcast morning with a possibility of showers, but we figured we would take our chances. I had never rented these anywhere besides the Poly, so I was curious how I would like using them somewhere else. After looking over the little map on the boat, we decided to head towards Downtown Disney. Turns out about half of the ride to get there is a no-wake zone. It’s not until you actually reach DTD that you can really cruise around. Otherwise, you’re just following the path of the canal and Sassagoula River. It was a nice ride, but I much prefer exploring Bay Lake and Seven Seas Lagoon. Yet another reason to love the Poly!

After we got back it was about time for some lunch. We tossed around the idea of lunch at DTD and doing Disney Quest, but decided to eat right there at Good’s To Go (just your standard QS fare) and then do some swimming. It never did rain, and the clouds were starting to clear out, so it made for a nice afternoon! The kids literally spent hours just splashing around and joining in the fun at the pool party.

We got the kids out around 4 so we could get ready to head over to Animal Kingdom Lodge. Tonight the kids were going to Simba’s Cubhouse while my husband and I had dinner at Jiko. I was so excited to finally try this place!

We got to AKL around 5. This was our first time at this resort, so I couldn’t wait to get inside and see what it was like. Wow, is it beautiful!! I would love, love, love to stay here sometime (and we might this summer)!! It’s so open and grand, yet comfortable and cozy all at the same time. But having never been here before, I had no idea where anything was! After asking a CM, we found our way down to Simba’s Cubhouse. We checked the kids in, picked out their dinner, and then with a hug goodbye we were on our way!

The first thing we did was stop at the lounge for a drink. The two guys working there weren’t among the most “magical” CM’s I’ve ever met, but we chatted for a few minutes (mostly about Disney movies) and then headed out back to the savanna area. So nice and peaceful out there! Back inside with still a little time to kill, we sat down at one of the indoor fireplace areas and finished our drinks. Then it was time! Jiko, here we come!

We had walked passed it earlier, so we knew right where to go now. We checked in and received a pager, but it was only about a minute or so until it went off. We were seated towards the rear of the restaurant, in the upper area by the back wall. I really loved the feel of this place, dimly lit and intimate. Perfect place for our date night!

Our server came and took our drink order. I forget what the name of my drink was, African Sunrise or something along those lines. Whatever it was, it was fruity and delicious! My husband ordered one of the African beers.

When he returned we put our order in, starting off with the Taste of Africa. This was a fun appetizer with a few different types of bread/crackers and four different spreads. My favorite was the Kalamata Hummus on the Naan bread. Yum!

For our meals, my husband ordered the scallops and I got the Tagine Chicken. He said his was really good. My chicken and vegetables were very good, but the Harissa set my mouth on fire! I had to steer clear of that stuff, lol. I kind of wished I had ordered something else, but overall it was very tasty.

Next up, dessert! We tossed around the idea of ordering some Remy Martin Louis XIII, but decided we had much better things to spend $255 on than 2 oz. of liquor!! Crazy. DH ordered the cheesecake, which he said was delicious. I really wish I had taken a picture of the dessert menu, because I can’t recall the name of what I ordered. I tried searching online, but the menu changes too frequently, so I wasn’t able to find it. But, it was sort of pudding like, with berries and pistachios, and something on top that reminded me of shredded wheat. Whatever it was, it was excellent! That coupled with my favorite tea, chai, made for the perfect end to our night out!

Fat and happy, we wandered back over to Simba’s Cubhouse and picked up the kids. They had so much fun that they asked if they could do it again! I was so happy to hear they had a good time. I highly recommend it for any parents looking for a night out! We then went into the arcade there and played for a little while. The one there was 10 times better than the one at the main building of our resort, which consists of a tiny room with only about 5 games total.

We then headed back to our resort and relaxed with a little tv before bed. We wanted to get a good night’s rest for our day at Epcot tomorrow!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	119 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	50 
Size:	800.6 KB 
ID:	7840   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	874.1 KB 
ID:	7841   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	134 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	327.5 KB 
ID:	7842   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	136 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	460.5 KB 
ID:	7843   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	137 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	365.2 KB 
ID:	7844  

Last edited by [email protected]; 11-02-2013 at 11:15 AM.

I'm glad you enjoyed Jiko (who wouldn't eh?), but sorry you didn't get on with the harissa. I have to admit, I love the stuff and dollop loads into the lamb tagine I make.

That's one (of the many!) thinks I love about Jiko - the flavors are a little more authentic than many Disney restaurants rather than the blanded-down versions you often find elsewhere.

I wonder what they've done on the Sassagoula then? The only no-wake zones when we went from POR to DTD to OKW and back to POR was by the SSR landing area. That was a few years ago though.

Great report though. Sounds a lot of fun!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    I'm glad you enjoyed Jiko (who wouldn't eh?), but sorry you didn't get on with the harissa. I have to admit, I love the stuff and dollop loads into the lamb tagine I make.

That's one (of the many!) thinks I love about Jiko - the flavors are a little more authentic than many Disney restaurants rather than the blanded-down versions you often find elsewhere.

I wonder what they've done on the Sassagoula then? The only no-wake zones when we went from POR to DTD to OKW and back to POR was by the SSR landing area. That was a few years ago though.

Great report though. Sounds a lot of fun!
    It was authentic for sure! More of an experience than a meal.

As for the Sassagoula, maybe it was just me, lol. There was the no wake stretch while leaving OKW, then I slowed down for oncoming boats if we were in a narrow spot, and also for the bridges. It just took a while getting out to the open waters at DTD, which is what I liked best!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    It just took a while getting out to the open waters at DTD, which is what I liked best!
    I loved zipping along the shores of PI and the West Side. Great fun!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Wednesday, October 16

This was our last full day and we were spending it at no other than EPCOT! Food & Wine Festival, here we come! This was the whole reason for our trip originally, and something I had wanted to do for a long time now. I hope you like to hear about food, because we sure had a lot of it!

We got to the park around 9:30, but I had gotten separated from my husband at the bag check area. Somehow he missed me coming out of it and I couldn’t find him either. I tried his cell but didn’t get him. I thought maybe he had taken the kids inside the park, so I went ahead in. Didn’t have any trouble with my Magicband at least! It was close to 10 until we finally caught back up with each other. I’d had enough of this messing around, as I just wanted to get on our way already!!

The first thing we did was head to Test Track. The paper FP’s were already gone for the day, so we stood in the standby line. It was only about a half hour wait which we didn’t think was too bad. I know some people don’t like the new version of the ride, but we loved it! The kids loved designing their own cars and all of the neon effects inside. Luckily we had a FP+ for this later and would be able to ride it again!

Next up was our FP+ for Soarin’. The regular FP’s were already gone for this one, too. I was glad I had booked my FP+’s through MDE the other day. We were in one of the bottom rows this time, which are not my favorite, but we still enjoyed it! As a side note, I heard the other day that they just started restricting the FP+’s for these rides to just one of the main rides per day. With the paper FP’s being gone by 10am, I can see why. Maybe this will help distribute them more evenly. This is one ride I would not like to wait in the standby line for. We did it once…never again!

We stopped for a little snack (glazed almonds, my favorite!) before heading over to our FP+ for Mission Space. There wasn’t a very long line for this one, but it was still nice to go right to the front. The kids love this ride and being part of the “mission”. When I got my backpack out of the storage compartment afterward, I noticed it was wet. Great, one of our drinks was leaking! We ran outside to see which one it was. Luckily it was just my water and not one of the sodas! It was an easy cleanup and nothing was ruined thankfully.

It was lunchtime by now, so we decided to make our way over to World Showcase to start gorging ourselves! The Hawaii booth was right near the front, so we got two of the things I had wanted to try…the Pork Slider and Aulani Sunrise! They were both excellent! I enjoyed them so much that I got another round later in the day.

With our goodies in hand, we hopped on one of the Friendship Boats and crossed the lagoon over to Morocco. I knew the kids would be happy with the food at the American Pavilion, so that’s where we headed. I also wanted to check out the Chase Lounge which was set up there. We went up there first, but it really wasn't much of anything, just a place to sit down and relax for a while. We cooled off for a few minutes, got a drink and then went back downstairs. We got the kids lunch and then headed out in search of booths we wanted to try.

The kids had wanted to do a Perry adventure, so we found the place in Italy that handed out the phones. We choose Germany for our mission since it was the closest. We also spotted the Poland booth right there, so we decided to try a couple things. DH got the Kielbasa & Pierogi, while I ordered the Zapiekanki. I’m not sure how his was, but mine was just so-so. It was sort of like pizza with a little bit of a kick.

DH took the kids around for a little bit while I got one of the items on my hit list at the Germany booth, the Apple Strudel. Well, let me just say I was very disappointed with this one. It was mushy, and the apple was undercooked. Yuck. Oh well, I guess they can’t all be winners.

While we were there, I took the opportunity to check out Karamell-Kuche for the first time. I couldn’t help but think of my Dad in this shop. He would have loved it! My daughter and I got in line to pick out some goodies. I chose the brownie drizzled with caramel and a chocolate-covered sea salt caramel. The brownie was average at best, but the sea salt caramel was delicious! We finished up our Perry adventure and our caramel snacks, and continued on our way.

The next booth we came across was Africa. Here DH got the Berbere-Style Beef, and I got the Spinach and Paneer Cheese Pocket. Well, I don’t think I’ve mentioned it yet, but today was an extremely HOT day and these dishes were VERY spicy!! I am not big on spicy food, so the combo of the two left a lot to be desired. Mine didn’t have much in the way of flavor, just the spicy heat! My mouth was burning, and my husband said his was even hotter! So with that said, I didn’t even try his. I did try the MAN Vintners Chenin Blanc however, which was good.

We were both pretty full by this point, so we just kind of perused the shops along the way, stopping for a ride on Maelstrom in Norway. Of all the times I’ve been here, I honestly don’t remember ever going on it. I’m not really sure why, it’s just one of those rides that has been on my list for years but never got around to for one reason or another. Well, this was the year! Not that it’s much to speak of, but I thought it was a cute ride. It was a long wait in line (although being out of the heat was nice), but I’m glad I can say I finally did it!

I will stop here for now. I can see this is getting long, and I still have quite a bit to go! Stay tuned for part 2…

Name:	154 - Copy.JPG 
Views:	44 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	7850   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	157 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	694.8 KB 
ID:	7851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	158 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	668.9 KB 
ID:	7852   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	159 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	810.6 KB 
ID:	7853   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	161 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	576.6 KB 
ID:	7854  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	162 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	552.0 KB 
ID:	7855  
    Last edited by [email protected]; 11-05-2013 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmule229 View Post
    First let me say I am very sorry for your loss!
    Next what an awesome report and you haven't even got to Disney yet lol.
    A much needed wonderful surprise trip for the family! Thanks for sharing so far!
    "Faith is a bluebird you see from a far. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star"
    Magical Disney Trips circa 1989
    1991*1994*1997*2003*2011*2013

Part 2: Wednesday, Oct. 16

We got back to the front of World Showcase and were starting to get a little hungry again. We stopped at the Brazil booth where I got the Crispy Pork Belly and a glass of Carnaval Moscato Sparkling White Wine. Let me just say, the pork belly was my favorite item out of everything, by far! So, so good! I almost didn’t get it because the name didn’t sound that appetizing, but am so glad I did! The pork was so crispy and flavorful, coupled with the black beans and avocado-type salsa…yum!

The kids got some ice cream and we sat on a bench to relax for a bit while my husband went to get the Le Cellier filet and some Apple Ice Wine (tasty!). We were on the bench right in front of the Desserts & Champagne booth, so of course I couldn’t pass that up. I went up and got a chocolate orange cupcake for the kids and a cherry pistachio mousse for me (which was really good, too. The cupcake…not so much).

My daughter had spotted Duffy, and really wanted to meet him. So, we finished up our snacks and she got in line with DH. My son wanted to go back and do the Great Piggy Bank Adventure at Innoventions. The line for Duffy was moving really slow, so I headed over there with him awhile. He loves this game! Really cute for kids.

Afterward, I hadn’t heard from DH yet, so we decided to go on Journey Into Imagination. We browsed the gift shop afterward and then caught back up with everyone. Next up, Nemo! Always enjoyable.

It was about dinnertime now (for the kids...we were still stuffed!). We checked out the Electric Umbrella, but there wasn’t anything they wanted there, so we decided on Seasons instead. They had their dinner while we had some Starbucks (yay!).

Our FP+ time for Test Track was up, so we headed over there. It was dark out now, so it was a whole different experience when we got outside! What is it about rides at night that makes them even more fun?!

Afterward, we walked back over to World Showcase to get a spot for Illuminations. On our way through I picked up another round of food from Hawaii. We found a spot near Canada and settled in. I was so full, but I saw the Refreshment Port booth earlier and couldn’t resist grabbing some Dole Pineapple Fritters and Orange Dole Whip with Crème de Cacao White. Well…I should have resisted because I didn’t find them to be all that great, lol. Oh well.

After Illuminations we decided to call it a night. They did have EMH tonight, but we were all pretty spent from the long, hot (but fun) day. However, we couldn’t leave without stopping for a ride on Spaceship Earth first!

Back at the hotel, the realization that this was our last night was really starting to sink in…*sigh*

Thursday, October 17

The last few years, we seem to have developed a routine for our last day. DH takes the kids to the pool while I stay and pack everything up, which always works out well. We had the housekeeper knocking on our door at 11am sharp, so we loaded up the car and waved goodbye to our temporary OKW home.

We had about two hours to spare, so like usual we went over to DTD for a bit to get some last minute souvenir shopping in. The kids each picked out something for themselves and their teachers, while I picked up a shirt and bracelet. I really wanted to get one of the new Vera Bradley purses, but all they had were the large duffle bags. Oh well.

Sadly, we had to get going to the airport. We returned our rental car and went through all the usual business of checking bags/security. We had a little bit of a flight delay, so we had some lunch and walked around the mall area for a while. The kids saw Build-a-Bear, so we let them pick something out from there. I thought we had plenty of time to spare, but when we got up to our terminal, they were just about finished loading the plane! It turns out the delay had gotten pushed back up, so we didn’t really have that long after all! Lesson learned. So glad we made it!

The flight was a little bumpy, but not too bad...definitely not as fun as the way down though! But, all went well and soon we were back home safe and sound.

So, there you have it. Another trip report has come to a close. Of course, the only thing that takes away from the glum feeling of a trip being over is to start planning your next one! While I don’t know the exact details just yet, it will definitely be this summer. Yay!

Thanks for reading!

Name:	163 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	451.5 KB 
ID:	7858   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	165.2 - Copy.jpg 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	7859   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	167 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	446.3 KB 
ID:	7860   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	168 - Copy.jpg 
Size:	647.2 KB 
ID:	7861   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	170 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	498.2 KB 
ID:	7862  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	175 - Copy.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	674.5 KB 
ID:	7863  

You did a wonderful job!!! Sounds like you had a great trip!! We took our kids for their first trip to Disney a few months after my mom past and now it's a yearly event that my dad joins us on!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy L Thorn View Post
    You did a wonderful job!!! Sounds like you had a great trip!! We took our kids for their first trip to Disney a few months after my mom past and now it's a yearly event that my dad joins us on!
    Thank you! This next trip we are taking my mom, sister and nephew, so it will be a special trip for us all. Bittersweet without my dad, but I know he will be with us in spirit!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast