5 Magical nights aboard the Disny Magic!! My first ever cruise trip report!!

5 Magical nights aboard the Disney Magic!! My first ever cruise trip report!!

This was my first ever cruise! As well as this will be my first ever cruise trip report! I hope you enjoy it!!

Pre-cruise report
    I love Disney! Then again, who doesn't, right?? We have visited Disney World 5 times since 2009. The last time in May of this year. We had been talking about going on a cruise for a long time now, it just was never the right time. I was able to find a great rate, but sail date was only 27 days away. I debated and debated, but finally decided to book our cruise!! My husband is retired from the Army, so we are able to take advantage of the great military rates that Disneyhas to offer. We love the way Disney takes care of our military members, past and present!

Here are the trip specifics:

Ship: Disney Magic
    Sail dates: Fri Nov 1- Wed Nov 6
    Sailing from: Miami
    Stateroom: Deluxe Oceanview stateroom with Verandah
    Room # 7578

Day One: Miami
    Day Two: At sea
    Day Three: Grand Cayman
    Day Four: Cozumel
    Day Five: At sea

On this cruise:
    Me (40)
    DH (41)
    DS Adam (13)
    DS Nathan (9)
    We also have an older, 18 yr old son. He decided to stay home because, after all, a week at home alone is much more fun then 5 nights on a ship with his brothers!! He is also in his freshman year of college, and did not want to miss to many classes.

This would be the Magic's 3rd sailing since her dry dock transformation. We were so very excited to see the ship and experience Disney on a whole new level!!
    Last edited by browns3030; 11-17-2013 at 10:41 PM.

Re: 5 Magical nights aboard the Disny Magic!! My first ever cruise trip report!!

have an awesome time!

MB
    Mike
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    30+ trips and counting to WDW
    EW Contemp. 83, Contemp. 84, Ft. Wilderness 85 EW Contemp. 86,Class trip 86, Oak Island Cove 02, Radisson 03, Radisson 03, POR 04, Radisson 04 Renaissance Inn 04, POR 2\05, POP 3\05, POR 06, POR 07, POR 08, AKL 10\08, AKL 3\09, Jambo House 5\09........ too many to list now :-)

Re: 5 Magical nights aboard the Disny Magic!! My first ever cruise trip report!!

Can't wait to hear all about it!
    “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

Day 1- Thursday Oct 31st

Today turned out to be a cold, wet, rainy day here. Here is Elgin, Il- about 35 mins west of Chicago. Needless to say, we were all looking forward to getting out of here and heading to sunny, warm Florida. The boys were totally ok with missing trick-or-treating this year in favor of flying out early. And, with the weather today, I was so happy I did not have to take them trick-or-treating!! We had a 5:47 PM flight out of O'Hare on Spirit airlines. We were flying into Ft Lauderdale airport tonight, then heading to Port of Miami in the morning. DH actually had to go to Jacksonville the day before for business, so I was traveling solo with the boys tonight. DH was flying from Jacksonville to Ft Lauderdale in the morning where he would meet us before heading to Miami.

I checked periodically during the day, and so far we were still on schedule. I had to work until 3:00 PM, so we had my dad pick us up at 3:30 PM and we were off to the airport. It was raining pretty good, so this slowed the traffic down considerably. This slowed us down tremendously trying to get to O'Hare on time. I was optimistic that if traffic outside the airport was light, that it would be light inside the airport too! WRONG!! We made our way to the Spirit counter of the airport, and it was packed! We now only had 15 minutes to check our bags in order to be sure they made it on our flight!! And the line was huge!! Luckily, with less than 5 mins to go, one of the counter agents called out and asked for anyone going to Ft Lauderdale to please move to the front of the line!! I was relieved, as I am sure the others in line with us were too! That was very nice of Spirit to do that for us too!!

With bags checked, and boarding passes in hand, we proceeded through security and made our way to our gate. They were already boarding, but we were starving. The plan was to get dinner at the airport while waiting..so much for that!! We did have a few minutes to run to the magazine stand and grab a quick snack and bottles of water. $21 later, we returned to the gate and boarded our flight. It was a nice, smooth, uneventful three hour flight into Ft Lauderdale, with us arriving about 25 mins early. After landing, the captain came over the PA and told us all that once we made it to the gate, to all stay in our seats with our seatbelts fastened, that we were going to have a visitor come on the plane in the spirit of Halloween. This had us all a little confused and wondering who it could be. We soon arrived at the gate and were instructed to remain in our seats once again. We sat this way for about 30 mins, still waiting for our visitor. Once the flight attendant finally opened the door, a police officer boarded the plane. He walked up to a passenger, say to him
    "let's go". That passenger gathered his bag from overhead, then walked off the plane with the officer. Still to this day not sure what happened, or what he may have done. And just like that, we were allowed to exit the plane. Once we had gathered our bags, I called our friend who was picking us up, and told him we were ready!!

I was so very confused when I was planning this trip, trying to figure out how to get to port, and back to the airport, where to stay the night before, etc... I knew through Facebook that one of my husbands old Army buddies now lives in Ft Lauderdale. Ken was DH first ever roommate back at Ft Riley in 1992-1993. We had not seen each other in about 23 yrs, but I had kept in touch with him through FB. I sent him a message and asked him for some help with planning. Well, in the end, he offered to be our "chauffeur" while we were down there. It is true what they say about the Army- you become brothers! A shout out to FB too, for making it all possible!!

Ken took us to the nearest McDonald's so the boys could eat, they were still starving He then drove us to our hotel for the night. We stayed at the Cambria Suites near the airport. He waited until we were checked in, told us to call him in the morning when we were ready for him to take us to port. We debated going to the hot tub for a little bit, but in the end decided to just head to bed. Tomorrow was going to be an exciting day!!

Great start! I'm really looking forward to reading about your cruise.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by browns3030 View Post
    This was my first ever cruise! As well as this will be my first ever cruise trip report! I hope you enjoy it!! Pre-cruise report I love Disney! Then again, who doesn't, right?? We have visited Disney World 5 times since 2009. The last time in May of this year. We had been talking about going on a cruise for a long time now, it just was never the right time. I was able to find a great rate, but sail date was only 27 days away. I debated and debated, but finally decided to book our cruise!! My husband is retired from the Army, so we are able to take advantage of the great military rates that Disneyhas to offer. We love the way Disney takes care of our military members, past and present! Here are the trip specifics: Ship: Disney Magic Sail dates: Fri Nov 1- Wed Nov 6 Sailing from: Miami Stateroom: Deluxe Oceanview stateroom with Verandah Room # 7578 Day One: Miami Day Two: At sea Day Three: Grand Cayman Day Four: Cozumel Day Five: At sea On this cruise: Me (40) DH (41) DS Adam (13) DS Nathan (9)[ We also have an older, 18 yr old son. He decided to stay home because, after all, a week at home alone is much more fun then 5 nights on a ship with his brothers!! He is also in his freshman year of college, and did not want to miss to many classes. This would be the Magic's 3rd sailing since her dry dock transformation. We were so very excited to see the ship and experience Disney on a whole new level!!
    Did you find it difficult to plan a family trip without you oldest DS?
    We went to DW in October and it was the first trip our oldest wasn't going on and I found it really emotional planning the trip without him.

Re: 5 Magical nights aboard the Disney Magic!! My first ever cruise trip report!!

Day 2- Friday Nov 1st

We've got the Magic in us!!

Who can sleep in when you know where you are going today??!! Not me!! We were up and at 'em bright and early today. The anticipation was killing us!! DH had an early flight out of Jacksonville, arriving in Ft Lauderdale at 9:10 am. He would grab the hotel shuttle and meet us in our room. We were in the mist of repacking our bags and such when he arrived. I finished packing, and laid out the cruise documents that he had to sign. I like to think that I am a very organized person. Maybe a little to organized at times. This comes into play twice this morning.

#1- I was not prepared for how much stuff you need to pack for a cruise!! When we go to Disney World, I pack much lighter. If I forget something, we run to the store and buy it. Not so on a cruise!! There is no where to "run and buy it"! With that being said, I did everything I could yesterday to just shove everything in my suitcases. My packing was very unorganized, in turn making me feel a little bit uneasy. That is why I was more than glad to be able to reorganize the bags before heading to port! We also removed our airline luggage tags and attached our DCL tags. It was almost time!!

#2- With my organizational need, and just pure excitement of going on a cruise, I made sure to order copies of DH and my birth certificates super early in order to make sure they arrived in plenty of time. None of us have passports, and with having booked only 27 days in advance, there was no time to get them. SO, birth certificates it would be. The DAY our cruise documents arrived from Disney I made sure to gather all of the necessasry documents and put them in the folder. I also made copies the day we were leaving and put them in a seperate spot from the folder in case anything was lost. While finishing up at the hotel this morning, I told DH that he needed to still sign the cruise contract. He pulled out all of the documents, started looking throught them, and then stopped me dead in my tracks. He had asked my why I had my older sons birth certificate with me???!! The older son who had stayed at home!! Turns out Mrs. Super Organized brought one of the wrong birth certificates!! I brought son #1's but NOT son #2's!!! I about fell over!! Luckily, DCL accepts copies of birth certificates, especially for children. SO, with hands shaking, I called son #1 at home, had him scan and email copy of son #2's BC, went to the business center at the hotel, and printed out a copy. Crisis averted!!!! Thank goodness!!

With said crisis behind us, we called Ken and told him we were ready to head to Miami! We were given a port check in time of 12:30-1:00 PM. Hotel check out time was 11:00 AM, so we had a little bit of time to kill. Ken suggested we try out a nearby Colombian restaurant. Now that our bellies were full, we headed out towards Port of Miami. We arrived a little bit after our 1:00 PM arrival time. We exited the car, and there she was!! The Disney Magic!! How exciting!

We made our way into the port, cleared all of the necessasary security check points and arrived in the registration area. Here, after waiting in a rather short line, we were handed our Key to the World card and assigned a boarding number. Turns out our boarding number had already been called, so we were able to head right aboard. As we went up the escalator, I had to keep myself from running!! We went through the final checkpoint, and were welcomed aboard. We entered through the Deck 4 gangway. The next thing we heard was "Disney Magic, please welcome the Brown Family aboard!" It was finally here, and we were ecstatic!

The staterooms were already available, so we set off to find ours. We were on Deck 7, starboard side room #7578. We entered our room, and I went straight for our verandah! I could quickly tell that this would become one of my favorite places on the cruise!! After dropping our day bag, we set off to explore the ship. We went up to decks 9 and 10. We explored the pool area, sports area, and found the soda station. I love that soda is included on Disney cruises. If not, I could see soda quickly becoming a huge expense!! At 4:30 PM we made our way to deck 9 to enjoy the Adventures Away deck party. This is an exciting send off party with all of the characters. It is very fun, and really gets you in the vacation mood! After 30 mins of singing and dancing, the countdown began. 3, 2, 1 and with that, the Disney Magic sounded her horn- When you wish upon a star- and vacation was officially under way. Turns out, so were we. We had made our way back to our cabin to get ready for dinnner. We had the early seating- 5:45. When we entered the room, I made the comment that I felt like we were moving much more in the room. Went over to the verandah and- guess what?? We were moving!!

With a quick freshen up, and clothes changed, we made our way to our first dinner. Tonight we would be eating at Carioca's. It is a Brazilian themed restaurant. We arrived and were led to our table, table 29. Turns out to be one of the best tables in the house! We had a starboard side, sea view! Gorgeous view!! We were soon greeted by our serving team. Cyprian from India was our head server, and Antonio from Portugal would be our assistant server. A few minutes after we arrived, our tablemates arrived. A really nice family of 4 from Lakeland, Florida.

Dinner was amazing!! So many great choices! I think all 4 of us had the NY strip steak that night. Followed by an amazing dessert. Now stuffed, we decided to skip the show tonight. We decided to go up to deck 9 and see what was going on
    by the pool. Turns out, that deck 9 is very deserted after dark! We let the boys go change and they swam while watching Cars on the big screen. DH and I enjoyed a cocktail while relaxing and breathing in the fresh sea air.

Soon, we all felt the sheer exhaustion of the day and decided to head to bed. We opened the door to our stateroom to find that our stateroom host had turned down the beds for us. She left us our Personal Navigator for the next day on our bed, along with our first "friend"- our towel puppy! She even put my sunglasses on him!! I was very curious how it would be sleeping while the boat was rocking. The sea was very smooth so far, so turns out it was a pretty calming, relaxing feeling.

Day 3- Do you sea what I sea.....
    Last edited by browns3030; 12-11-2013 at 10:39 PM.

Saturday Nov 2nd

Do you sea what I sea…

Today would be our day at sea. Nothing but ocean today. For miles and miles..ocean. We did see Cuba off to the port side this morning. That was cool!
    We were up and ready to go fairly late today. All of the excitement and travel yesterday tired us out a little, I guess. We headed up to Cabanas for a late buffet breakfast. This was our first meal at Cabanas, and it did not disappoint! So many choices!! And, so yummy!
    After breakfast, we encouraged the boys to go to their clubs and have some fun. Nathan, our 9 yr old, was all for it. He wanted to play the games in the Oceaneers Lab. He loved being able to navigate the Magic all on his own at the Navigation Game Station. Being 9 yrs old, we were informed that he was old enough to check himself in and out of the Oceaneers Club. He was unsure of how to get there yet, so we took him and dropped him off. We then tried to get Adam, our 13 yr old to go to his club. He was much more hesitant. He is not the most outgoing kid, therefore, I think he was a bit nervous not knowing anyone. Had the boys been able to go to one of the clubs together, I think he would have been much more excited about spending time there. That is the one thing I wish was a bit flexible. The teen club, Edge, where the video games are, is only for ages 13-17. I know that my 9 yr old would love to be able to go with his brother and play some xbox or playstation. It would have given them a much better alternative then having to go to the arcade to play (and pay for) games. Anyhow, Adam did stay and play games for a while. This would be the only time on the whole cruise that he did!! With both boys at their clubs, we decided to go explore the ship a bit.
    After wandering for a while, we were feeling hungry. We gathered the boys from the clubs and were headed up to deck 9 to grab a piece of pizza or burger for lunch. We arrived on Deck 9 and walked back to the fast food area. We were walking, and looking at the plates of food people were bringing out of Cabanas. Shrimp, crab claws, steak, etc.. We quickly changed our minds and headed straight into Cabanas for lunch.

After lunch, we wanted to relax and soak up some sun in the adult pool area. We all went and changed. The boys went to the main, Goofy pool area while we found 2 lounge chairs in the Cove pool area. Here we enjoyed the pool for a little while, then melted our stress away in the hot tub. We had a great time, meeting and talking with many people. In the meantime, on the other side of the deck, the boys were enjoying the pool, and trying out the new waterslide, The AquaDunk. Adam rode it a few times, while Nathan was just getting started! He would ride this waterslide upwards of 50-60 times on the cruise! He loved it, to say the least!

The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing, eating ice cream, wandering, and eating ice cream. Gotta love the soft serve ice cream machine!! About 5:00 pm we made our way back to our cabin to get ready for dinner. Tonight we would be eating at Lumiere’s. Lumiere’s is the French inspired restaurant. We arrived tonight and were led to our table, again, one of the best views in the house. While we were enjoying our meal, we looked out the window and saw dolphins!! Little, baby dolphins jumping out of the water!! It was the highlight of the day! And, the only time we saw dolphins jumping the entire cruise. L Another successful dinner over, we left the restaurant.
    Nathan had wanted to try the AquaDunk in the dark, so we all, once again, changed into our swim attire and headed up to deck 9. Did I mention earlier that deck 9 is virtually deserted during dinner and show time? This became our favorite time to visit the pool area. Tonight they were showing Cars on the FunnelVision. The boys watched the movie from the pool, and we watched it from the hot tub.Nathan rode the AquaDunk another handful of times until he could no longer climb the stairs. We ate a little more ice cream. It was a wonderful evening! Warm, but breezy. Not crowded. Perfect! It did start to get more crowded once the shows were over for the night, so that was our cue to head out. We made our way back to our stateroom. Got ready things ready for Grand Cayman in the morning, then finished out the night enjoying the breeze on our verandah.

Day 4…Gonna be a grand day in Grand Cayman

Just caught up with your last 2 days and they sound amazing!

I've done a regular cruise but not a Disney one but there are some obvious similarities.

You're making me want to hit the seas again!!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    Just caught up with your last 2 days and they sound amazing!

I've done a regular cruise but not a Disney one but there are some obvious similarities.

You're making me want to hit the seas again!!
    This was our first ever cruise. We have booked a Norwegian cruise for this November, and I am curious and a bit nervous as to how it will compare to the Disney cruise. My first concern is the room size. Our Disney room was 268 Sq ft. and our Norwegian room is only 149 sq ft! My oldest son (19) is going with us this time too, so there will be 5 of us in this tiny room! I am hoping for a great experience, I just hope that Disney has not spoiled us!!!

We have been back from our cruise for only 9 weeks, and I am So ready to go again!!