Getting turned down for a DAS card

Getting turned down for a DAS card

The other day I got into a discussion about the new DAS (formerly GAC) program and was asked a question I couldn't answer. Maybe someone here knows...

Since Disney is not legally allowed to ask for doctor's notes, how do they decide if someone is eligible for a DAS card? Can you get turned down? What types of things don't qualify?
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    The other day I got into a discussion about the new DAS (formerly GAC) program and was asked a question I couldn't answer. Maybe someone here knows...

Since Disney is not legally allowed to ask for doctor's notes, how do they decide if someone is eligible for a DAS card? Can you get turned down? What types of things don't qualify?
    I think they have to just take your word for it. I got one on my trip and they asked me what my limitations were. ( I can't walk or stand for long) so I told them. Then they have me a card. I really like the new system I think it's fair. My husband and I hardly even needed it. We just used fast passes for the big rides and the others were 10 min waits

Re: Getting turned down for a DAS card

I went to Walt Disney World in Florida and they told me that they were not passing out DAS cards. As a person who has muscular dystrophy, my 12-2013 trip to all four FL Disney parks was a disability nightmare. Walt Disney treats the disabled like we are lepers. Shame on you Walt Disney for making my wife push my wheelchair through all the lines. I was constantly either getting hit by people , or I was in their way.

According to their website, Disney are no longer giving out GAC cards but are now giving out DAS cards (but only where appropriate) in line with their new policy on disability access.

Where it is possible to get a wheelchair in a line, guests in wheelchairs are expected to stand in line with everyone else unless they are physically (and there's been a question mark over mentally) not capable of queuing.

Only where wheelchair access to the line is not possible (or where the guest's disability prevents them queuing) is a DAS card issued.

A DAS card is not a line-jump card like the old GAC was though. Rather than simply jumping disabled guests to the front of the line, the DAS CARD is effectively a fast-pass which gives disabled guests and their parties a return-time window, roughly in line with the length of the queue.

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/fa...-disabilities/

It sounds like, although you may have been capable of standing in line, maybe Disney needs a wider queuing system to accommodate wheelchairs?

It's an interesting point you make about being made to feel like a leper. As an able bodied person (and with the greatest of respect to you), it seems that by asking disabled guests to queue wherever possible, Disney are attempting to treat everyone the same rather than treat anyone like lepers.

It's very unfortunate you feel that way. Do you feel their assessment of your ability to stand in line was wrong or was it the difficulty your wife had manoeuvring the chair through the line which has upset you?

Was there nobody at Guest Services in the parks you could have spoken to? It's a very new policy and, as we seem to have agreed on other posts on this site, it may still need some tweaking to get it completely right.

Of course people are always going to prefer the old line jump system for obvious reasons. It seems a shame though if Disney aren't going to listen to disgruntled guests and improve the new system.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Official policy as told to me by a Cast Member at Epcot's Guest Relations: People who only have mobility problems are not allowed DAS cards. If you have cognitive issues (autism, claustrophobia, etc.), then they'll give them to you.

I have sciatica, which can be extremely painful. I even had a note from my doctor. But they wouldn't give me one. We rented an ECV the next morning from Buena Vista Rentals, which is much cheaper than renting at WDW, and they deliver and pick up so you don't have to go anywhere.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

@Curious Alice: ok, I'm going to play devil's advocate here...how would they prove to you you don't have claustrophobia if you claim that? Apparently they can't ask for a doctor's note. I commend you for not trying to go around the system - but I'm sure the ones that absolutely want to still can come up with a "reason". I haven't been since 2009, but at that time I can't remember very many lines where you would fit into with a scooter. I understand that Disney tries to treat everybody the same, but there are unfortunately people who need mobility assistance that have issues in other areas, too. Seems to me like a lot of hassle to get a DAS.
    09/02/2014 5th anniversary Disney trip "The Beauty and the beast, Sonja&Tommy"
    October 2009 honeymoon PO

Curious Alice, did you wait in line with the ECV? Or did you stand in line? Just wondering if you were able to make it through the lines comfortably with the scooter.
    Last edited by vanessprincess; 12-13-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

It does seem like you could just say you have claustrophobia and get a card. I don't know how they make that determination. I am not one to cheat the system, so I didn't try it.

When I wasn't hurting too badly, I'd park the ECV and walk around, but there were a few times when I rode the ECV through lines. I had a very small portable one. I don't know how the big ECVs go through lines.

There is a CM at the entrance to the queues, so I think if you tell them you can't walk through lines, they must make some sort of concession. I can't imagine that they turn people away.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR