Member meetings

Thread: Member meetings

Member meetings

DO any of you try to meet well in the world?

Re: Member meetings

I've moved this question out of the Double Digits thread as it was a little off-topic.

It's a great question though so I thought it deserved it's own thread.

Personally, I'm not a great one for meeting up with "strangers" who I've not spent much time chatting with as you never know what you're going to get!

I also find timing is an issue. We love to be spontaneous on vacation so I'm not a fan of being tied down to a meeting place at a certain time on a certain day - we just never know where we'll be from one day to the next (and often from one hour to the next).

Having said that, we did meet up with the delightful Curious Alice and her DH after years of chatting online and we had a fantastic day in Epcot and then later at the Poly!

I think meeting up with someone you've established an online friendship with over a period of time is great but I'm not convinced meeting with random strangers is a very good idea at all!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

I think meeting up for a quick ride or just to say hi and maybe a picture wouldn't hurt. You are after all in the happiest place on earth
    Now meeting up for anything longer then i agree with winkster.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

I have to say I was really, really nervous meeting Winkster. We both are on the TD staff and had known each other online for a few years, as he said. We corresponded via email, too.

We decided to meet at La Cava del Tequila in Mexico and made no further plans. That way, we could have a drink and go our separate ways if it just wasn't feeling right.

The last minutes before he showed up at the bar were very nerve-racking and the first few minutes we hung out were a bit awkward, but halfway into our first margarita, we were chatting away.

Fortunately, we got on very well, despite my occasional difficulty understanding his partner's accent. We spent time in Mexico, then went to the UK for lunch (stopping for another drink on the way), then met up again that night at the Poly bar, then went to MK to watch the fireworks. It was a blast!

It can be a really fun thing to meet your TD friends, but my advice is to establish a solid friendship online first, email each other, etc. Know what you're getting into! And plan a simple meet-up where you're not tied into a lot of time together, like a drink or coffee somewhere. You can always add time to your meet-up, like we did.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    ...despite my occasional difficulty understanding his partner's accent.
    I wouldn't worry. I struggle sometimes too.

That's Yorkshire for you!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

I was not thinking something so formal it the same people post all the time and a lot of us we be at WDW at same time I was thinking more a few min. On way in to park no names just sign ins so you have face to go with icons Not long enought for a drink just hi oh that the face that goes with that sign in but after read you post and thinking about it not good idea thank you

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia Cat View Post
    I was not thinking something so formal it the same people post all the time and a lot of us we be at WDW at same time I was thinking more a few min. On way in to park no names just sign ins so you have face to go with icons Not long enought for a drink just hi oh that the face that goes with that sign in but after read you post and thinking about it not good idea thank you
    I think what you had in mind is perfect for a meet up!! I think you should.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium