Aulani trip report/review
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Aulani trip report/review

November 29th

What should we do for our Anniversary?

It was the night of mine and my husbands 4th wedding Anniversary. We had been home from Disney World 2 weeks, but weren't exactly sure what to do. We contemplated ski resort??? No ... We do that a lot.

We joked around about hopping on a plane to Oahu and staying at Aulani. We have Disney vacation club so it would pretty much be free I logged into my DvC account and saw that an ocean view room At Aulani was available! DH and I checked flights, just for kicks and giggles.There was a flight leaving in 5 hours. DH and I booked the tickets immediately before common sense kicked in and started packing!

Here's where we ran into our first problem. Majority of our summer clothes were wadded up in our suitcases from florida. I live in Alaska so at -10 I'm not in any hurry to get those clothes washed and put away. I was able to find 2 pairs of shorts and a cute summery top. I told DH I would be buying clothes in Hawaii as soon as we arrived. We showered packed and were on our way out the door.

We arrived at anchorage international 1 1/2 hours before departure we had to Drop DS age 3 off with the grandparents and that took longer than expected.DD age 6 month would be coming with us.We grabbed a quick bite to eat and were on our way.

Saturday November 30th.

Something always seems to go wrong.

We arrive In Portland at 5 am Saturday morning we grabbed a mcgriddle at McDonald sand waited to board. I started feeling short of breath hmm that weird but nothing felt to serious so I boarded anyway.

We arrived in Honolulu at 11 am. I was starting to feel really awful. We got a flat rate taxi to Aulani $55 from the Airport.

We arrived at Aulani and immediately you see the wow factor. We were greeted by several people one being bell hop and the other a cast member laying us. The men are given a nut lay and the women a flower one. We set foot in the lobby and were immediately Blown away WOW it was beautiful and unlike and other disney hotel we've seen. Now I'm not trying to offend anyone but Aulani make the Polynesian look like a Best western. We walked to the front desk and guess what our room was ready!!! Good thing too because I needed to lay down!

We got to the room and of course it was beautiful as well. I was exhausted and figured jut lag was kicking in so DD and I laid down for a nap while DH got some refillable drink mugs

I woke up around 5 pm burning up with a fever hardly able to stand to walk to the bathroom. As some of you know I have a heart condition so and thing with fever not being able to stand is a little bit scary. I called my Dr at home to see what she recommended. She told me to go to the hospital. Instead I was able to talk her int a prescription for antibiotics. After DH returned from the pharmacy I took my medication and went to bed.

Wow, I LOVE the spontanious decision!!

Really hope you were feeling better soon though XX

Very curious about your Aulani Adventure, it looks awesome
    Looking forward to our Disney vacations

Re: Aulani trip report/review

Excited to read this report! I'm sorry you got sick right away. Hoping it didn't last too long!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Can't wait to read more. Especially since DH and I have been talking about going for our 25th anniversary.

I love that your trip was so spontaneous - great fun to do something like that.

Such a shame you felt unwell though. I'm looking forward to reading more.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Sunday December 1st

Rain rain and more rain

We woke up to the sound of rain pouring down outside. NOOOOO! But luckily my fever was gone yay it was time to switch rooms today. We were changing from a garden island view room to our ocean view room for the rest of our stay. It was ready too!

Good thing we did because when we arrived in our room OMG ( OH my gosh!!!) the view was amazing! We were in room 1104 incase anyone wants to request the view! The pictures below are from our balcony

As soon as we arrived in our room we ordered room service. Worst idea ever!!! We ordered two turkey sandwiches for$ 52 ( including taxes and gratuities) . The were dry and nasty:/ We then decided to to go explore the hotel and refillable out drink mugs.

We saw a huge DVC sign that said members mingle we signed up! We thought it would be fun meeting other members we would be meeting at 8am tomorrow morning! We then toured a l bedroom DVC unit. Omg it was beautiful! We took a finance chart with us to play around with the idea of adding more points.

Now to refill our mugs! There are two locations ( that I saw) that you can refill your mugs by a swimsuit shop and the other being a QS location. We refilled them outside the swimsuit shop. Then decided to pick up new swim trunks for DH and a new swim suit for me! Next was a shaved ice ! I got lemon lime ! DH got one with guava ,orange and strawberry with ice cream. It was still raining outside so we decided to relax in the room for a couple hours and put DD down for a nap.
    It was around 5pm we decided to wake DD up feed her, and head down to the excursion Desk. We talked to the guy working and Decided on a Luau at Paradise cove for the next night. Now it was time for shopping! There are two gift shops at Aulani. Your standard disney gift shop an an upscale gift shop. We checked out the upscale shop first. DH picked up a couple Tommy Bahama shirts and I picked up a couple sundresses and a flower clip for my hair. I was really hungry by now so it was time for dinner

We decided on the buffet style restaurant called Makahiki! Best food of the trip! It blew Ohana out of the water! Food included King Crab legs , prime rib, BBq beef brisket so tender it falls apart! Vegetable low mein! Fried rice! Garlic mashed potatoes! creamy Alfredo pasta! Fried chicken! Hawaiian foods and Japanese foods! A huge salad bar. A huge desert bar with Bread pudding cookies brownies OMG I could go on and on! This place is a MUST EAT! Out total was about $90 110 after tip. We were full and happy and went for a quick walk around property then back to the room for some TV and bed today way a lazy day because of the rain and me still recovering from my fever. Tomorrow we would be hitting Hawaii hard core! We left the door to the balcony open and fell asleep to the soft sounds of ukulele music and rain
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1662159706.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	312.4 KB 
ID:	7909   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3050801895.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	7910  

Quote Originally Posted by MINI Mouse View Post
    Wow, I LOVE the spontanious decision!!

Really hope you were feeling better soon though XX

Very curious about your Aulani Adventure, it looks awesome
    Thanks It didn't last long! We loved Aulani it was Amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Excited to read this report! I'm sorry you got sick right away. Hoping it didn't last too long!
    That's ok I was totally better by day 3!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmule229 View Post
    Can't wait to read more. Especially since DH and I have been talking about going for our 25th anniversary.
    You have to go!!! It's unlike anything Disney I've ever experienced! It is by far my new favorite Disney location and we will be back soon! It's so relaxing an peaceful!

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    I love that your trip was so spontaneous - great fun to do something like that.

Such a shame you felt unwell though. I'm looking forward to reading more.
    Yes it was by far the most spontaneous thing we've done! It was so worth it! We may go back next weekend

Now that has to be the best on a whim trip!! So glad you got well soon.
    The food sounds amazing!!!
    Ps love the aulani and poly comparison!
    Happy late anniversary!
    Last edited by Freshee61; 12-08-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Those pictures are amazing! If you didn't say you took them from your balcony I would have thought they were stock photos!! Love the spontaneity.

Oh wow the view you had was amazing! Such a shame you were I'll for the first few days. Xx
    Hakuna Matata!

Monday December 3rd

I was up at 6:30 am DD and DH were still in bed we need to leave our room by 7:50 to get to the members mingle by 8. I spent some time online then got up and got ready for the morning at about 7:20 I woke DH and DD up to get them ready to go. Soon we were out the door and on our way.

We got to the location of the member mingle entered our names in a drawing for a chance to win some prizes. We enjoyed a continental breakfast while sitting next to a family who didn't look so thrilled to be there. The mingle was cheesy they gave us some info about the island and we played trivia. The prizes they were giving away were Mickey print art, gift cards and luggage tags. DD started to fuss so I stepped out of the room to feed her,and calm her down soon she was fast asleep. I heard one of the CMs say there was only 2 minutes left so I decided I'd just stay outside. The all of a sudden I heard my name being called! I had won a $50 gift card sweet! The mingle was over and I was still hungry so it was time to hit up some QS and refill out mugs! For breakfast I had Bacon Eggs and island potatoes( potatoes sautéed with veggies) yumm! I got like 6 pieces of bacon too! They really piled the food on my plate all for around $10 next we went to the beach!

We spent hours on the beach soaking up the sun wiggling our toes in the sand ordering strawberry daiquiris and Pinia coladas. Yes they even have bar service on the beach at Aulani.

At around 1 we decided to go back to the room put DD down for a nap and cool off. I called the DVC desk and requested that we be written up a contract for 100 points add on at Aulani. We would sign tomorrow at 11am. Soon not only was DD asleep but so was DH.

Part 2 coming later DD and DS are waking up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast