About Giftcards and tips.

Question About Giftcards and tips.

Hello. This might be an odd question(and possibly in the wrong forum, sorry) but I know that online you can order a Disney Gift card in advance to use while at Disney World. I had the idea of doing this and putting money aside on a gift card as my food expense. My question is, Is it possible to charge the tip to the gift card as well or would I have to use cash instead? Thanks
    Planning my 2nd Disney Trip
    Christmas 2015

We used gift cards only last trip in place of the dining plan. You are able to tip directly from the gift card.

Also you can purchase gift cards at BJs for a $5 discount on a $100 card (so the card cost $95). I think some people have said you can also get a discount at Target.

The gift card worked great. You could also just charge the meal back to your room (with tip) and then pay off the balance at the front desk using gift cards. (As long as it was by a certain time before check out).

My only tip is bring a sharpie to write the remaining balance on your gift cards (if you have more than one card) we started getting confused as to what was left on the cards. They can also swipe them at almost any location to tell you the balance.

Re: About Giftcards and tips.

Awesome, thank you! That is a good idea about the sharpie I will be doing that.
    Planning my 2nd Disney Trip
    Christmas 2015

Re: About Giftcards and tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Kris315 View Post
    We used gift cards only last trip in place of the dining plan. You are able to tip directly from the gift card.

Also you can purchase gift cards at BJs for a $5 discount on a $100 card (so the card cost $95). I think some people have said you can also get a discount at Target.

The gift card worked great. You could also just charge the meal back to your room (with tip) and then pay off the balance at the front desk using gift cards. (As long as it was by a certain time before check out).

My only tip is bring a sharpie to write the remaining balance on your gift cards (if you have more than one card) we started getting confused as to what was left on the cards. They can also swipe them at almost any location to tell you the balance.

I am thinking about doing the gift card thing for our food budget on our next trip and had also wondered if I could just charge to my room and paying it off with gift cards. I am pleased to hear that can be done. So I am assuming that you have to put a credit card on your account at the resort, but you can pay each day off with gift cards. Is that correct?

Yes you go to the front desk they will give you a print out of your current charges and then you can pay with cash, gift card or credit. Basically Disney doesn't charge your card until 24 hours(ish) before final checkout.

We are planning to utilize the "gift card food plan" again for our December 2014 stay. I do think that the Disney dining plan is good and great when going with a group or just for convenience but the amount of food they give is just way too much for me. I rather just buy what I want when I want it. We are also DVC members so we are going to try the Tables in Wonderland card out and see if we make out better with that. We think we will we have 6 adults and 1 child going on this trip so the TIW should be of value.

Good luck with the gift cards - don't forget your sharpie!