Magic+ top tips
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Magic+ top tips

Magic+ top tips

The Magic+ bands are a new introduction to the parks which not many of us have been lucky enough to try out.

What are the top tips for using them?

What rides do you FP? Book in advance or in-park? Use the app or kiosks? Book ride times that are early in the day or late? If park hopping, book rides at your first or second park?

What's worked for you and what wouldn't you do again?
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    The Magic+ bands are a new introduction to the parks which not many of us have been lucky enough to try out.

What are the top tips for using them?

What rides do you FP? Book in advance or in-park? Use the app or kiosks? Book ride times that are early in the day or late? If park hopping, book rides at your first or second park?

What's worked for you and what wouldn't you do again?
    For magic kingdom we used FP+ for Peter pan, space mountain and thunder mountain. For animal kingdom we used it on the safari, expedition Everest & I can't remember the other one, Hollywood studios we used it for toy story, lights motor action, rock & roller coaster. Epcot was test track, living with the land and spaceship earth. I booked them in advance seeing the lines in the park to make their fast pass selections were so long it was ridiculous. For the most part we would do mid day and later in the evening so we could sleep in a little and start the day in a relaxing pace.
    Tori

Thanks Tori - great tips!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

re: Magic+ top tips

I used the magic bands this past December and we loved them! I downloaded the app on my I-phone so I could keep track of our fast passses I did from home thru the my disney experience. Whic just fyi I somehow deleted our fast passes while on one of the disney busses on the way to the magic kingdom but with the app on my phone was able to quickly get some new ones. I agree with the last reply the a fast pass is a must for Toy story at Hollywood studios ( I have still not been on that ride cause either the line is too long or there are no more fast passes) At the Magic Kingdom i would use one for Peter Pan for sure and Enchated Tales with Belle. I love how you can link everything to your magic band example: room key, pass, dining plan, photo pass and fast passes. When we checked in you can link a credit card to it also, you make up a pin number to use and have to punch it in everytime you want to charge to your card. I loved it cause I didn't even have to carry around money/debit card. We even bought some of the snap on characters/symbols that they seel to decorate your magic bands with. In my opnion I think the magic bands are wonderful! It makes it where Mom's have less to carry and worry about so we can have just as much fun as our kids

Can you tip at the restaurants with your magic band?

re: Magic+ top tips

Quote Originally Posted by mskay View Post
    Can you tip at the restaurants with your magic band?
    Yes you can! :-)
    Also it is great to schedule them for afternoon/evening because lines are shorter in the am so you can get a few rides in with very short wait times before your FP+ rides. That's not the case in the afternoon.

We also loved the magic bands on our last trip (Oct) and we're looking forward to our new ones to arrive next week for our April trip :
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

Would love some tips on how far in advance to book your fastpass+!
    I like to plan but not over-plan, so the idea if picking your rides before you even know what park you want that day is a bit daunting!

***~AKL 09/14! ~****
    DLRP Trip#9 08-13!! *~*~*~* WDW Trip #2 10-14!!

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMarie View Post
    Would love some tips on how far in advance to book your fastpass+!
    I like to plan but not over-plan, so the idea if picking your rides before you even know what park you want that day is a bit daunting!

***~AKL 09/14! ~****
    I just booked my next vacation for aug 2014 and the Disney website said I can start doing my far passes June 18th. I will do it that day or one day during that week so all the good times arnt gone. I don't like planning my trips so much but I also want to enjoy my time & not have to worry. It's a win loose situation. I normally know the big rides that I want the fast pass for then I just pick any time that fits. When the day comes I'll have the ride set in stone but I can always change the time. I think that's the best way to do it.
    Tori

Quote Originally Posted by Tori1017 View Post
    When the day comes I'll have the ride set in stone but I can always change the time. I think that's the best way to do it.
    Thank you for this tip. I just want to make sure I understand, however. Are you saying that by scheduling the attractions you want in advanced you a guaranteed to get a FP+ for that attraction, even if you change the time for later or earlier on the same day as the original FP+? Example: We are arriving at our Disney resort June 21. 60 days before our stay, in April, we schedule a FP+ for AK Safaris on June 23, from 9:30-10:30. (I realize lines are not that long in the morning, but we are not rope drop commandos running to that attraction. We just want to guarantee a place within a given block of time.) On the evening of the 21, we decide to sleep in the next day and want to change our Safaris FP+ to later in the day. Can I assume there'll be something available because I've already booked a FP+ for that attraction?
    Last edited by db57me; 03-06-2014 at 04:44 AM.

I just booked my next vacation for aug 2014 and the Disney website said I can start doing my far passes June 18th. I will do it that day or one day during that week so all the good times arnt gone. I don't like planning my trips so much but I also want to enjoy my time & not have to worry. It's a win loose situation. I normally know the big rides that I want the fast pass for then I just pick any time that fits. When the day comes I'll have the ride set in stone but I can always change the time. I think that's the best way to do it.
    I get what you mean think ill do much the same, it would just be a bit rubbish to waste them on must do rides to get there and find standby line is short and you could have used it for something else x

***~AKL 09/14! ~****
    DLRP Trip#9 08-13!! *~*~*~* WDW Trip #2 10-14!!

Re: Magic+ top tips

Quote Originally Posted by db57me View Post
    Thank you for this tip. I just want to make sure I understand, however. Are you saying that by scheduling the attractions you want in advanced you a guaranteed to get a FP+ for that attraction, even if you change the time for later or earlier on the same day as the original FP+? Example: We are arriving at our Disney resort June 21. 60 days before our stay, in April, we schedule a FP+ for AK Safaris on June 23, from 9:30-10:30. (I realize lines are not that long in the morning, but we are not rope drop commandos running to that attraction. We just want to guarantee a place within a given block of time.) On the evening of the 21, we decide to sleep in the next day and want to change our Safaris FP+ to later in the day. Can I assume there'll be something available because I've already booked a FP+ for that attraction?

i do not believe that just because you booked a FP you will "guaranteed" one if you want to change time on the day of. In fact, that came up on our October trip. We had FP+ for soarin for before our akershus adr. The night before our Epcot day I began to second guess myself that we would be cutting it too close so I tried to change the time but there was no other times available for the entire day so we stuck with what we had.
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

Quote Originally Posted by stinkerbellsmom View Post

i do not believe that just because you booked a FP you will "guaranteed" one if you want to change time on the day of. In fact, that came up on our October trip. We had FP+ for soarin for before our akershus adr. The night before our Epcot day I began to second guess myself that we would be cutting it too close so I tried to change the time but there was no other times available for the entire day so we stuck with what we had.
    For my last trip it was 5 days long for every day we had 3 fast passes, numerous times out of that trip I changed the times for the rides I picked months ago. There would be a large chunk of the day gone with times that you couldn't pick but then the times would just start around 6:00 - 7:00 PM or later in the evening. I picked test track instead of soarin & I changed that time to earlier because we were to tired to stay for or original later time. Soarin I guess is the more popular ride.
    Tori

Quote Originally Posted by LadyMarie View Post
    I get what you mean think ill do much the same, it would just be a bit rubbish to waste them on must do rides to get there and find standby line is short and you could have used it for something else x

***~AKL 09/14! ~****
    When I was at Disney & wanted to change a time for a ride there was also the option to change the experience they call it. So I'm sure you can change the experience if it isn't pass the time you have for that one specific ride. Is this your first time going to Disney? Because you can kind of know which rides are the bigs ones that you should get a fast pass too.
    Tori

Quote Originally Posted by db57me View Post
    That is exactly what happened with us on my last trip, we had a safari fast pass but we wanted to sleep in so I went on the mydisney experience app & changed it for a later time. Now when I did this there was a whole chunk of the day gone maybe from noon to four or something because that's when all the fast passes were gone but there was still time slots to choose from later in the evening. The best thing to do is plan your dinning reservations then do your fast passes around it. This way it all works out & you won't have to change them for the most part during your vacation. Stat realistic when planning your fast passes.
    Tori

Re: Magic+ top tips

The best thing to do is plan your dinning reservations then do your fast passes around it. This way it all works out & you won't have to change them for the most part during your vacation. Stat realistic when planning your fast passes.
    Thank you, that is exactly what we are doing. This will be our first trip to WDW and we are trying to prep, without over planning, the best we can based on our research. We have all our ADRs for table service made, based on our meal plan, which gives us 1 TS a day. Most of our ADRs are evening meals, one is for lunch.We have not made any ADRs for Quick Service because, we assume, it is not needed.

We are working out a rough itinerary around our TS ADRs each day, as well as the recommendations of which parks are the most recommended by TouringPlans and easyWDW. Once we hit the 60 day mark, I want to schedule our FP+ for each day - 3 per day in a single park (hoping this will change before June). As I said, we are not rope droppers or commandos. However, we do not want to spend more time standing in line for the attractions on our list then we will experiencing the attractions.

I agree that we need to be realistic and build in 'sightseeing' between attractions. We are not going to just ride the rides, one after the other; we are going to immerse ourselves in the Disney experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast