Coronado Springs - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    So this is our first time staying at this resort. My boyfriend loves that they had a gym. Earlier I was reading on trip advisor tips and peoples comments on this hotel. I was reading a lot about the house keeping needing update. I am shocked at how much dust I am finding in our room. Even the ac knob area to turn it on and off is covered in dust. I was hanging something (birthday decorations) and the little light on top of the beds covered in dust. I was taking a shower and I could see the "dirt" or whatever they called it in all the cracks, there was even a blue stain on the tub (the length of my hand) and they had the bottles of shampoo right on top of it. Kinda of gross since I don't know what it was. I was looking at the safe and the inside is even ripped and falling apart. The room is gorgeous and HUGE for two people but now I can see why people complain about the rooms being dirty. Doesn't make any sense. When we were waiting in line at the front desk for a parking pass for my car we were waiting there a good five minutes without anyone helping us. I even mentioned to my boyfriend "at pop we would have already been helped. Usually at POP somebody comes right up to us. Finally a woman working there walked up asking what we needed. I told her a "parking pass" and she looked at me like I was speaking a different language or saying something she never heard in her life. Mind you we both spoke fluent English. I had to repeat it 3x and then finally say "a parking pass for my car..." she said ohh let me go see, still looking at me like I was not making any sense. She went to talk to a guy at the front desk who was on the phone, two mins later he called us over (stayed on the phone the whole time) I did my magic band, got my pass and he didn't even really say anything to us nor even smile at us. I was a little shocked since at the values they are always so friendly and smiling.
    Last edited by Tori1017; 06-13-2015 at 02:12 AM.
    Tori

Re: Coronado Springs

Quote Originally Posted by Tori1017 View Post
    So this is our first time staying at this resort. My boyfriend loves that they had a gym. Earlier I was reading on trip advisor tips and peoples comments on this hotel. I was reading a lot about the house keeping needing update. I am shocked at how much dust I am finding in our room. Even the ac knob area to turn it on and off is covered in dust. I was hanging something (birthday decorations) and the little light on top of the beds covered in dust. I was taking a shower and I could see the "dirt" or whatever they called it in all the cracks, there was even a blue stain on the tub (the length of my hand) and they had the bottles of shampoo right on top of it. Kinda of gross since I don't know what it was. I was looking at the safe and the inside is even ripped and falling apart. The room is gorgeous and HUGE for two people but now I can see why people complain about the rooms being dirty. Doesn't make any sense. When we were waiting in line at the front desk for a parking pass for my car we were waiting there a good five minutes without anyone helping us. I even mentioned to my boyfriend "at pop we would have already been helped. Usually at POP somebody comes right up to us. Finally a woman working there walked up asking what we needed. I told her a "parking pass" and she looked at me like I was speaking a different language or saying something she never heard in her life. Mind you we both spoke fluent English. I had to repeat it 3x and then finally say "a parking pass for my car..." she said ohh let me go see, still looking at me like I was not making any sense. She went to talk to a guy at the front desk who was on the phone, two mins later he called us over (stayed on the phone the whole time) I did my magic band, got my pass and he didn't even really say anything to us nor even smile at us. I was a little shocked since at the values they are always so friendly and smiling.
    I don't want to take a thread negative, but I had a similar experience at POFQ last trip.

One of our drawers was missing a knob, and the room just felt "worn out". Granted, Pop felt this way too, but I paid nearly 1/2 the price for Pop (which has since gotten room refurbs), and POFQ is often touted as one of the "best" moderates.

The food court was dirty...not occasionally, not often...all the time.

I have pictures of live and dead roaches from it scurrying around the floors.

They'd leave tables unbussed (uncleaned) all day (I have pictures of that to prove it too, and no, I wasn't LOOKING for it, I stayed there 11 days, and it was the same all 11 days).

They couldn't keep their beverage bar clean to save their lives.

Basically, and this is coming from someone with over a decade of Food Service management, the management there was full of it, and the staff was less than pleasant.

And, Mousekeeping was a joke.

Coming off of the sheer luxury of a Disney Cruise, it left a very poor taste in my mouth that trip.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

We found the drinks station at POR a permanent mess too. Ice and puddles of spilt drinks all over the counter, decaf coffee often not available, ice machines permanently blocked and don't get me started on the "hot chocolate" (or rather beige water as it should oh so often have been called!).

They definitely need more staff to keep the place tidy. Standards had most definitely slipped since our last visit.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    We found the drinks station at POR a permanent mess too. Ice and puddles of spilt drinks all over the counter, decaf coffee often not available, ice machines permanently blocked and don't get me started on the "hot chocolate" (or rather beige water as it should oh so often have been called!).

They definitely need more staff to keep the place tidy. Standards had most definitely slipped since our last visit.
    I used to run places like that...

It isn't an issue of staff count, it's bad management. Flat out.

I would have complained, but if I had, I would have been somewhat shy of Gordon Ramsay. I'd have demanded to see their staffing for the evening, their hourly plan, their shift assignments, their 15 minute cleaning plans (not something Disney seems to have instituted), oh goodness, had the list gone on. Mind you, I did this EXACT work for 1/3 of my LIFE...and was so good at it that I was tapped to teach others to do it by a Fortune 500 restaurant chain.

So...yeah...I know what I'm talking about. I may not have the degree in "restaurant management" the people who run those two food courts do, but I do know how to RUN a restaurant with a mixed venue presentation...they...well, I'm not sure they do.

Frankly, I got the same feeling about Mousekeeping. It was half-thought at best. Lazy "towels", basically they just made our beds and stocked the towels. I could rarely tell when they'd been in the room, and the room (at POFQ) smelled of mold the whole time.

If you can't tell, I was NOT impressed. And, I'm trying NOT to be negative....mind you...just...there's room to improve.

A lot...of room.

- - - Updated - - -

What I mean by the Gordon Ramsay thing is that I don't want to hear "I'm sorry sir, we'll make it better, rather I want to rip the Manager on Duty a new one, because I KNOW what they are doing wrong, and how to fix it.

And no, it doesn't involve a major labor spend. It involves...being a good manager and caring about the product you present.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add, keeping a beverage bar clean is simple. You assign one of your floor bussers "beverage duty". Once every 15 mins, they take a bucket of hot water out to the bar, and use that to melt the standing ice. Wipe down the surfaces (and grills). Stock the units. Test each soda to a cup for an outage, and then finish up with one more bucket of (now warm water).

In low volume, you do this on demand, but assign that as a side duty.

In high volume times, you assign a body to have this duty every 15 mins and manage by the watch.

And, unlike ANY DISNEY managers I've seen in these food courts, you don't sit in the back...you stand out front, in the FOH, leading the charge into the rush with your team.

I saw it all the time with my company...managers who would hide out in their office or the kitchen. That's the WRONG place.

If I don't see a manager on the floor, out doing table touches, I know they are lazy and not worth their salary.

Sorry...getting all Ramsay.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

On my last trip, the food court was in tip top shape, the front desk was super fast and on point( I had to Come back for park pass but immediately was given it) but house keeping didn't stock my towels....
    The buses were good on schedule and I like the distance to the bus stop from the parks.
    I received everything I asked for through early check in which was first floor, early check in and in the cabanas.
    I had a wonderful stay and didn't want to leave BUT they didn't grant me late check out on Sunday!?
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post
    On my last trip, the food court was in tip top shape, the front desk was super fast and on point( I had to Come back for park pass but immediately was given it) but house keeping didn't stock my towels.... The buses were good on schedule and I like the distance to the bus stop from the parks. I received everything I asked for through early check in which was first floor, early check in and in the cabanas. I had a wonderful stay and didn't want to leave BUT they didn't grant me late check out on Sunday!?
    What time did you want to check out on Sunday?!
    Tori

99% of the time at the values I check out an hour or two later (12 or 1).
    Last edited by Freshee61; 06-13-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post

I used to run places like that...

It isn't an issue of staff count, it's bad management. Flat out.

I would have complained, but if I had, I would have been somewhat shy of Gordon Ramsay. I'd have demanded to see their staffing for the evening, their hourly plan, their shift assignments, their 15 minute cleaning plans (not something Disney seems to have instituted), oh goodness, had the list gone on. Mind you, I did this EXACT work for 1/3 of my LIFE...and was so good at it that I was tapped to teach others to do it by a Fortune 500 restaurant chain.

So...yeah...I know what I'm talking about. I may not have the degree in "restaurant management" the people who run those two food courts do, but I do know how to RUN a restaurant with a mixed venue presentation...they...well, I'm not sure they do.

Frankly, I got the same feeling about Mousekeeping. It was half-thought at best. Lazy "towels", basically they just made our beds and stocked the towels. I could rarely tell when they'd been in the room, and the room (at POFQ) smelled of mold the whole time.

If you can't tell, I was NOT impressed. And, I'm trying NOT to be negative....mind you...just...there's room to improve.

A lot...of room.

- - - Updated - - -

What I mean by the Gordon Ramsay thing is that I don't want to hear "I'm sorry sir, we'll make it better, rather I want to rip the Manager on Duty a new one, because I KNOW what they are doing wrong, and how to fix it.

And no, it doesn't involve a major labor spend. It involves...being a good manager and caring about the product you present.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll add, keeping a beverage bar clean is simple. You assign one of your floor bussers "beverage duty". Once every 15 mins, they take a bucket of hot water out to the bar, and use that to melt the standing ice. Wipe down the surfaces (and grills). Stock the units. Test each soda to a cup for an outage, and then finish up with one more bucket of (now warm water).

In low volume, you do this on demand, but assign that as a side duty.

In high volume times, you assign a body to have this duty every 15 mins and manage by the watch.

And, unlike ANY DISNEY managers I've seen in these food courts, you don't sit in the back...you stand out front, in the FOH, leading the charge into the rush with your team.

I saw it all the time with my company...managers who would hide out in their office or the kitchen. That's the WRONG place.

If I don't see a manager on the floor, out doing table touches, I know they are lazy and not worth their salary.

Sorry...getting all Ramsay.
    Yea, last time I went it was a little delayed in them cleaning certain areas, but overall, including the room it was a great resort and very clean. It's sad that people are having issues. Hopefully they can fix these issues as this resort is nice although I prefer por for it's cozy feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post
    99% of the time at the values I check out an hour or two later (12 or 1).
    It all depends when you call. They only allow certain amount of guests to check out late. The earlier you call to request it the better chance you have. I usually call the morning of my last day. Although I have called on checkout day and it's been honored. It all depends on the crowd level and business.

The resort is nice and the food is good but we ha a bit of a time with the busses, in particular the Magic Kingdom buses seemed to take forever. The other busses where comming and going ever 10min or so but MK was about 35 to 40 min almost every time.

I will be staying at Coronado for the first time this September. does anyone have any new tips they might want to share? I will have an infant with me...is there a better location to request? I just have standard view booked. I'm hoping for ground floor due to the stroller. Thanks in advance!
    “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123