Cedar Point & Other Parks News/Discussion Thread

Cedar Point & Other Parks News/Discussion Thread

Cedar Point
    Carowinds
    Kings Dominion
    Kings Island
    http://screamscape.com/html/canada_s_wonderland.htm

Kings Dominion
    New Attraction(s) - Speculation Only - (5/30/14)
    Based on a fun discussion on Facebook about what Kings Dominion may have planned for 2015, I’ll share my own thoughts on the matter. Keep in mind that at this point, I’ve received ZERO rumors about any 2015 projects at Kings Dominion, so what you will read below is purely my speculation, based entirely on what Cedar Fair has been doing at some of their other parks.

And to cover this first… don’t expect a new coaster. Or at least not the big kind you are probably hoping for. I do wonder if something that uses coaster style track could be in the works however. I’ve never really been inside the mountain structure that serves as the home to Volcano: The Blast Coaster, but in the old days I know it used to house a few different smaller attractions, so I have to wonder if there may be room for one more today. Could Kings Dominion follow the lead from Canada’s Wonderland and build their own version of Wonder Mountain’s Guardian inside the same structure? Even if there really isn’t a lot of room, the park could build a separate and hidden structure behind the mountain, and simply run the new ride (or part of the queue) into the structure to make it look like the new ride takes place within.

Another idea may be to focus on the waterpark for 2015. It has been a few years since anything of significance was added to it and this may be the time.

One more idea comes to mind… perhaps following in the footsteps of Cedar Point and Valleyfair’s 2014 additions with a small collection of new flat rides, anchored by a Zamperla Disk’o Coaster. They are all good ideas, but I think I’d prefer to see the “Guardian” clone myself, as it is just a new and unique new concept and KD could use another themed dark ride.
    Cedar Point
    Park News - (5/26/14)
    I have to take a quick moment to congratulate Cedar Point’s classic Blue Streak wooden coaster on turning 50 years old this past week. Blue Streak opened back in 1964 and plans on holding a special ceremony to commemorate the ride on June 21st for the park’s official ‘Ride Anniversary Day’ where they will also acknowledge achievements for Raptor, Magnum XL-200, Mine Ride and Camp Snoopy.
    Last edited by Dead2009; 08-07-2014 at 04:02 PM.
    Theme Parks Visited
    Walt Disney World (1995, 2003, 2005)
    Kings Dominion (2006)
    Hersheypark (1998)
    Six Flags America (when it was known as Adventure World, date unknown)

Re: Cedar Point & Other Parks News/Discussion Thread

Carowinds
    Surfer’s Swell and Dorsal Fin Drop and New Restaurants - (5/26/14)
    I took a quick field trip over to Carowinds on Sunday afternoon to see how things were progressing. While there seems to be no visible movement on the 2015 project end of things, there has been much progress on the new Harmony Hall dining area structure since my last visit. It looks great actually, and I’m hoping they will be ready to open it in the next month from the looks of things. The new Chickie’s & Pete’s is also open in the back of the park, not far from Boomerang Bay, where unfortunately the new slides are not quite yet finished. Dorsal Fin Drop, the ‘bowl’ style slide, is essentially complete, but Surfer’s Swell still has a bit of work left to finished. The steel structure for the half-pipe is in place and a couple of the fiberglass pieces have been installed, but otherwise it is mostly still in pieces. Like Harmony Hall, I think they’ll have this up and running within the next 30 days or less.
    Kings Dominion
    New Attraction(s) - Rumor & Speculation - (6/3/14)
    A Screamscape source contacted us about our concept of adding a Guardian style ride to the Volcano mountain structure. As I feared, they confirmed that there simply is not enough room within the existing structure to perform such a task, as the hidden supports for Volcano: The Blast Coaster cut every-which way through the interior of the mountain structure itself. However, it would be possible to add a new hidden structure to house just such an attraction behind the mountain and simply build up the queue entrance to appear as if the ride lies within the Volcano, instead of behind it.

That said… while I think it is still a solid idea for the future, our source indicated that we would likely see the budget money go to pay for a significant upgrade to the waterpark instead in 2015.
    Kings Island
    Park News - (6/3/14)
    Flight of Fear shut down Monday afternoon at Kings Island after smoke began to pour from a motor within the ride’s enclosed structure. The Fire Department responded but found no fire… only smoke coming from somewhere in the launch tunnel. Once the power was shut down on the ride, the smoke also stopped. No one was hurt, and there was no sign of a fire anywhere, but I would expect to find the ride closed for the next couple of days they figure out what was wrong and take the steps to correct it.
    Theme Parks Visited
    Kings Dominion (2006)
    Hersheypark (1998)

Cedar Point
    Park News - (8/7/14)
    Lots of strange rumors coming from Cedar Point this summer… including many who are quite persistent that not only will Mantis likely get a name change in the future (Not sure if this is the King James coaster or not) but could possibly get converted from being a stand-up coaster into using either regular B&M Sit Down trains, or a possible full conversion into a Floorless coaster instead, for higher capacity and better guest reviews, as Mantis is said to just not be popular with park guests any longer.

Of course Cedar Point is always full of crazy rumors each and every summer, so there is no way to tell if this is true at all. Only that it is certainly possible. Adding a little more fuel to the fire about Mantis is a a very small section of the ride has been repainted in some dramatic new colors as a test on the box-beam.
    Kings Dominion
    2015 - Waterpark Expansion / WaterWorks to SOAK CITY - Rumor & Speculation - (8/1/14)
    A couple more pictures from Kings Dominion have been added, showing off more blue flags in the woods and a stake in the ground that says Bore Hole #2. These are said to be in the area of Tidal Wave Bay.

Kings Island
    Park News - (8/5/14)
    Good news, Screamscape has confirmed with Don Helbig that the Shake, Rattle & Roll ride will indeed return for the 2015 season. The reason wasn’t given, but I’d say it was in need of a major refurbishment.
    Carowinds
    Park News - (8/6/14)
    New management changes have taken place at Carowinds, as former park VP/GM Bart Kinzel has resigned and been replaced by Mike Fehnel who comes to Carowinds with 20 years in the business, most recently serving as VP/GM of Dorney Park.
    2015 - New Coaster: Centurion - Under Construction - (8/7/14)
    Do you hear that buzzing in your ears? Carowinds has been playing some mighty big games with their teasers regarding the 2015 coaster. They started out with several solid Roman themed teasers that made the trademarked Centurion name fit like a glove. In the last couple of weeks however, they have been all over the board, perhaps trying to throw us off the scent… or perhaps they may have been forced to abandon the Centurion name.

The roman themed banner on the construction wall was replaced by a large purple one with lightning bolts that said, “Can Lightning Strike Twice?” Carowinds used this same act a few years ago to throw off the scent for Intimidator, teasing that the coaster would be named after the removed White Lightning coaster. Another strange warning sign with “Danger” tape graphics appeared soon afterwards, with a phone number to call if you saw any strange paranormal activity that may have been released during the construction work.

On Wednesday however, Carowinds sent a crew member out into the world dressed in a bee keeper outfit (with hood), to hand deliver large boxes labeled with the phrase, “You can’t stop it, You can only hope to contain it”. Inside these boxes were very large butterfly/insect catching nets. Meanwhile the Carowinds homepage has changed the graphics behind the 2015 announcement count-down clock to look like a hive style honeycomb pattern, repeating the same catch phrase as on the boxes delivered.

Putting all this together, I think the Centurion name is out and they’ve opted for something far more sinister… and possibly lame. Someone at Cedar Fair HQ must have a thing for last-second insect names, as we all know the story about how Mantis at Cedar Point was first announced as Banshee. Now I fear that the big and bold sounding Centurion may be given an insect name… possibly one that could tie in to the re-launch of Charlotte’s NBA team as The Hornets this fall.
    Canada's Wonderland
    2015 - Waterpark Expansion - Rumor - (8/7/14)
    CWMania reports that there are many ground markings in the waterpark where Wipeout once stood. Looks like those planned new waterslides will be making an appearance in 2015 if I had to guess.
    2016 - New Coaster - Rumor - (8/7/14)
    It’ s just guesswork at this point, but I’m willing to bet that with SkyRider being removed this year, and a possible waterpark expansion on deck for 2015, that 2016 may possible see the next coaster added to the park. At that point it will have been four years since Leviathan opened in 2012, so it would likely be time for another big coaster of some kind.
    Last edited by Dead2009; 08-07-2014 at 04:04 PM.
    Theme Parks Visited
    Kings Dominion (2006)
    Hersheypark (1998)

Carowinds
    FURY 325 - Under Construction - (8/23/14)
    I’ve added more video links and some concept art (see below) for Fury 325 today, which should also give you a chance to see how different the park’s main entrance will look next season.

The old style park entrance, along with the southern mansion building, will be removed for a new modern park entrance plaza that looks inspired by the new entrance built for sister park, Cedar Point, for the 2013 season

Water Attraction - Rumor - (8/23/14)
    Carowinds dropped a new hint about what is in store for 2016... and it will certainly involve water. To quote park spokesperson John Taylor, "We look forward to making a bigger SPLASH next August when we gather again to announce our epic 2016 expansion plan."

So will this be an expansion to the Boomerang Bay waterpark, or could this be a much needed new flume ride for the park? I'm hoping for the later, especially since the waterpark just added two new slides for 2014.
    Kings Dominion
    WaterWorks Expansion - Confirmed - (8/25/14)
    Kings Dominion has confirmed that for the 2015 they will be building a “Bigger and Wetter” WaterWorks that will include new slides and a splash zone and more cabana accommodations and amenities.

The biggest deal will be a new 65 foot tall slide complex tower that will feature three new attractions: Paradise Plunge, Aqua Blast and Thunder Falls. Paradise Plunge consists of three drop-pods at the very top of the tower that will send sliders down a near vertical drop and then into a series of high speed twists, turns and drops in a translucent flume. Aqua Blast will send sliders into an enclosed dark tube through four intense 360 spins across 449 foot of slide before you are dropped into the splashdown pool. Thunder Falls will load riders onto single or double tubes and send down an adventure that will end with a series of intense drops.

Also new is Splash Island, a new water play area for the younger visitors and their parents which will double the size of the children’s options in WaterWorks. Elsewhere you will find new restrooms, upgraded bath houses and even more pool-side cabanas added to the waterpark. As always, admission into WaterWorks is included for free with general admission to Kings Dominion.
    Theme Parks Visited
    Kings Dominion (2006)
    Hersheypark (1998)

Cedar Point
    Mantis Renamed / Floorless Conversion - Rumored - (9/2/14)
    BREAKING - The rumors appear to be true. Cedar Point's latest announcement says that MANTIS will get "squashed" on October 19th. If the rest of the rumor follows through, we'll see it reborn as a B&M Floorless coaster next season, with a brand new name, possibly one themed to Lebron James.

Kings Dominion
    WaterWorks Expansion - Confirmed - (9/10/14)
    A reader has sent in a picture showing off a former Lion Country Safari building that has been demolished to make way for the new slides coming in near Tidal Wave Bay.
    Theme Parks Visited
    Kings Dominion (2006)
    Hersheypark (1998)

Cedar Point
    2015 - Rougarou - Confirmed - (5/12/15)
    Rougarou Lives! The Point’s latest roller coaster experience opened over the weekend and you can see a video of it in action below.

2016 - New Coaster / VALRAVN - Rumor - (5/2/15)
    An interesting new trademark was sent my way this way for VALRAVN, which was filed for my Cedar Point itself on April 17th. An interesting name, for what could end up being an interesting new coaster, if the rumors about a new B&M Dive Machine end up being true. It is worth pointing out that the trademark applicant was Cedar Point itself and not Cedar Fair, which is normally the case for rides going elsewhere in the company.

Kings Dominion
    2015 - Soak City Expansion - Confirmed - (5/28/15)
    In The Loop checks out the Soak City waterpark expansion at Kings Dominion this week. Check out the video below.

2016/2017 - New Coaster / New Entrance - Rumor - (5/7/15)
    The latest Kings Dominion video report from In The Loop reports on rumors for a possible 2016/2017 project and the possible removal of a coaster from the park. Yep... people have been waiting for this one to happen, but they believe that Shockwave could be removed at the end of the season, as the last standing TOGO Stand-Up Coaster on the continent.

It's about time for Kings Dominion to get a major new coaster, and according to their line of thought, King Dominion may be looking at getting a large new B&M coaster, along with a new main entrance, following along with what we've seen Cedar Fair do to both Cedar Point for Gatekeeper and Carowinds for Fury 325 this year. Watch the video and check out the graphic they sent along with it that shows off the possible location of where such a big new ride may go.
    Carowinds
    Park News - (5/23/15)
    The news is now official... Carowinds announced on Twitter less than an hour ago that Thunder Road will “give its last race on July 26.” RIP - THUNDER ROAD

I’ve actually been warning everyone this would come for the past few months and now it has been confirmed.... though while the actual verbage of the announcement really only says it will “give its last race”, I wouldn’t go reading too much into that, though Colossus also gave its last race at Six Flags Magic Mountain last summer and look how it was transformed and reopened this weekend as Twisted Colossus. Just saying... but I highly doubt this is the case. Going back to the original rumors I was sent, Thunder Road will be removed to allow the park to recover that property as well as the far back un-used section of the parking lot in order to allow for a huge expansion to the waterpark.
    Canada's Wonderland
    2016/2017 - New Coaster / New Attraction - Land Clearing - (5/23/15)
    One of our local readers has reported in from Canada's Wonderland this week, sending in a series of photos showing off an area of activity next to the Canadian Minebuster where there are red stakes in the ground and some land clearing starting to happen.

While this is likely for whatever the park has planned for 2016, the overall area could be used for new expansions over 2016 and 2017 as well, depending on what the park has in mind. Typically though, to start work this early in the season usually means they have something big in mind for next year. We'll have to wait and see.
    Theme Parks Visited
    Kings Dominion (2006)
    Hersheypark (1998)

Cedar Point
    2016 - New Coaster / VALRAVN - Rumor - (8/20/15)
    While Cedar Point has delayed the official announcement for their new coaster in the wake of the death at the park last week, the first pieces of track for the huge new Dive Machine have arrived. A Twitter user posted a picture of a piece being unloaded into a fenced off area next to the Breakers Express.
    Kings Dominion
    2016 - Delirium - Confirmed - (8/25/15)
    I'm told that instead of being a Huss Super Frisbee, the new Delirium ride going into Kings Dominion is expected to be the similar Mondial Revolution ride.
    Revolution | Mondial - World of Rides
    Kings Island
    2016 - Tropical Plunge - (8/20/15)
    Kings Island has announced their expansion plans for 2016... a little something called Tropical Plunge that will add a new seven-story tall, six-slide attraction tower. This looks to be similar to what we've seen added to other Cedar Fair parks in the past couple of years, including Kings Dominion last year, and Carowinds is rumored to get the same in 2016 as well. Three of the slides will be new body-slides that will start off your ride inside a drop-pod, where you wait for a trap-door to open under your feet. The other three slides will be tube slides, including one that will feature several high-g spiraling drops. Kings Island will also open a new bigger parking lot entrance on the north side of the parking lot with 13 entrance lanes. This new entrance will replace the current North and South toll plazas.
    Canada's Wonderland
    2016 - Skyhawk & Flying Eagles - Confirmed - (8/25/15)
    Canada's Wonderland will open two new rides for 2016:

Skyhawk - A 135 foot tall Gerstlauer Sky Fly, where riders will flying and spin upsidedown in their own mini flight pod. I'm told that this ride will go across from Windseeker, next to the Slingshot.

Flying Eagles - A Larson Flying Scooters which may go into Kidzville where A-Mazing Adventure is.
    Theme Parks Visited
    Kings Dominion (2006)
    Hersheypark (1998)