Advise for a WDW family going to DL.

Advise for a WDW family going to DL.

My wife and I have become a Disney family. We took our then 5 and 8 year olds to WDW five years ago. We took them the following summer when they were 6 and 9. We just took them again over Spring Break, and they are now 10 and 13. We all feel like little kids when we are there!
    We just booked airfare for our first trip to DL California. We will be there from 7/9/14 - 7/16/14. I know there are many differences between the two, but we thought it would be fun to be able to compare them within the same year.
    We love giving friends "must do" advise about WDW. Can anyone make suggestions for DL, since we've never been there before? Also, any big differences we should definitely be looking for? Thanks!

Re: Advise for a WDW family going to DL.

First thing you will notice is that DL is smaller than WDW....our castle looks tiny in comparison to Cinderella's. Also, it gets pretty crowded so I would go early in the morning. You've got to ride Radiator Springs Racers (at DCA) but get to the park early to get your Fast Pass as they are normally all gone within the first half hour of the park being open. Make sure to ride Indiana Jones! Just really keep in mind that both parks are much smaller and more compact (makes it seem rather crowded). With that said, we have gone to WDW yet we still love the original better. Maybe because we know Walt actually was there all the time and it was his baby...I don't know, it still is the best to us. Have a BLAST either way! I'm sure you will.
    DisneyGyrl

Thanks for that advice. Info like this will really help our trip! DL doesn't have Magic Bands, yet, right? I think I'll have to hurry to the fast pass stations like we used to at WDW. I'm also thinking there is no Magical Express from the airport or Disney busses, either, but we'll see :-)

I suggest youtubing little known facts about Disneyland because you will learn a lot of fun tricks to get the most out of your trip. Such as if you ask very nicely they will let you pilot the mark twain!

I have been going to Disneyland since I was 5. (Now I am almost 30) and I am a former cast member. I have lots of little tibits to help save time and would be happy to compile a list of things to do in what order to save time if you
    like.....

Wow! That's awesome! :-)
    I've definitely been on YouTube and Pinterest looking up DL little known facts and tips for a great vacation. I still can't believe we're going, since we just went to WDW 3 months ago. No matter what info I get, I know it'll still be a magical Disney vacation!

I'd add in that dca is an incredible park now! Check out the cars land lighting ceremony, it's quick and very sweet. Also animator a studio in dca is a must do and the kids get "free souvenirs" out of the pictures they drew during the show.

Also the back lot area has a good chance of some rare characters, I've caught Marie back there a couple times

I went every month or so before moving to the east coast last fall, and regularly took 3 boys under the age of 11 into the parks, PM me if you have anything specific you are interested in!

I'd also second what disneygyrl said about dl, it's smaller but you really the Disney magic since Walt's fingerprints are all over it

Thanks for all the tips! We leave in 2 days. It'll definitely be a better experience thanks to you all!! :-)