Booking for wdw marathon weekend?

Booking for wdw marathon weekend?

So my husband and I are booking our first wdw trip and are completely lost! We are planning on going in January for the wdw marathon but was told we couldn't do packages yet because Disney hadn't released rice changes. Is there any merit in booking the hotel now and getting tickets later? Should we wait on a package? Is either option any cheaper? Thanks for any help!!!!

Re: Booking for wdw marathon weekend?

We often go in January and I always book (before becoming DVC member) a room before the rates come out. I always worry about not getting into the resort I want to. It is an expensive way to go because they'll charge one night according to the highest rate for that room for the entire year. I've never confirmed if the amount is actually the highest room rate for the year. Once the packages are available they'll refund the one night rate and charge you the $200 deposit. I prefer to book the room before the rates come out so I don't have to worry about it.
    32 visits to WDW. Visits since 2008:
    Jan 2008 - Wilderness Lodge, Sept 2008 - All-Star Music, Jan 2009 - Contemporary Resort & All-Star Sports, Jan 2011 - Polynesian Resort, Sept 2011 - Old Key West, Jan 2013 & Oct 2014 - Bay Lake Tower & Art of Animation, Jan 2015 - Bay Lake Tower, Port Orleans FQ, Villas at the Grand Floridian & Disney's Vero Beach, Jan 2016 - Animal Kingdom Villas, Port Orleans Riverside & Disney's Hilton Head Island