9 Nifty Nights at WDW (and my not so magic+ review)

9 Nifty Nights at WDW (and my not so magic+ review)

Hi, everyone!! We just returned from our 9 day adventure to WDW!! This was our longest ever trip, staying 8 nights at Wyndham Bonnet Creek Resort in a 3BDR condo. We had 4 day, park hopper Armed Forces Salute tickets, which left us 5 days to explore and just simply enjoy the resort. This would also be the first trip in 5 yrs that our oldest son (Andrew, 19) would be joining us! He was coming a day later than us, flying in with his friend using United Airlines buddy passes. So, on this trip would be me, my DH, our 3 boys (Andrew-19, Adam-14, Nathan-10) and Andrew’s friend, Nick (also 19). It was one of our most interesting trips ever, with some very happy, yet some very sad moments as well. I have a tendency to “over write” when writing my trip reports, as I so enjoy recalling the trip for you guys!! I am going to try to condense this one just a little….Hope it turns out well!! Here we go….

Day 1- Friday August 1st
    For years and years, I always booked the first flight out of Chicago to maximize our time in Orlando. Well, a few years ago, instead of early morning, we decided to try the last flight out for the day. I MUCH prefer the late night flights!!! We fly in, head to bed, then wake up refreshed and ready to go the next morning! Since our flight was not until 7:25 pm, DH and I put in a full work day and then headed to the airport. We were delayed slightly, and spent about an hour sitting on the plane before departing for Orlando. Our scheduled 10:45 PM arrival time was now about midnight. Upon landing in Orlando, we had a reservation for the night at the Orlando Airport Hyatt. So, we were off the plane, luggage collected, and in bed within 30 mins of landing!!
    Tomorrow will be spent checking in to Bonnet Creek, waiting for DS and friend to arrive, and getting all of the “formalities” out of the way…..

Day 2- Saturday August 2

We woke up today, pulled back the curtains and soaked in the Florida sunshine!! Our room at Hyatt overlooked the OIA runway so we watched a few take offs and landings before getting ready for the day. All ready to go, we checked out and went to the rental car area to collect our car from Alamo. We had reserved a full size car, using our Costco discount. Discount included a free upgrade as well as one additional driver for free! Great deal! The total for 9 days was $237! Of course, they tried to upsell us to the next car class at the bargain price of $569!! NO Thanks!!! We were told to go to the full size row and choose any car. We spent the next 30 mins picking our car….

Since there was going to be 6 of us on this trip, we needed a vehicle that would fit us all. I searched and searched for months and weeks before we left, and the minivans and large SUV’s were untouchable! $1000 for the rental car was out of the question! So, we decided on the full size. The boys are all fairly small, so we were sure we could find a car to meet our needs. The 4 of us spent the next 30 mins squeezing into the backseats of about 5 different cars looking for the best fit!! The people around us must have thought we were crazy!! We finally decided on a Dodge Charger. We all fit. With room.

We were also keeping in touch with our DS and Nick, as they were at O’Hare airport waiting to see if they were getting on the next flight. Turns out, their bags were on their way to Orlando. They, however, were not….AND…it wasn’t looking good for them to get out at all today…. BOO!!!

It was important that we get to Bonnet Creek as early as possible to preregister for our room and get our room requests in. We made our way there, arriving shortly before noon. We were told our room was not ready (no surprise), and that they would call us when it was. We were able to use the pools and such while waiting if we wanted. For those of you that do not know about Bonnet Creek, let me tell you a little bit about it...

It is a timeshare resort located within the gates of Disney. It is very, very close to Epcot and Hollywood Studios. In fact, if you get the right rooms, you can see the fireworks from your balcony! It is a huge resort, with 5 towers containing 1,2,3 and 4 bdr condos. There are 5 different pool areas to enjoy, along with playgrounds, and mini golf. There is an activities center with a workout room, arcade, pool tables, and an owner’s library with computers. They have organized activities throughout the day for all to participate in. There are also grill areas with picnic tables for your use. This was our 4th stay at Bonnet Creek and we still love it!! We are NOT owners there. I go on either ebay or craigslist and I rent the days from actual owners. This way, I do not have to attend any timeshare presentations. And, honestly, in the 4 times we have stayed here, we have not been pressured into attending any either. This trip, our condo would be on the 11th floor, with an awesome view of Downtown Disney and Epcot. We had a great view of the Epcot fireworks at 9 PM every night!!

OK…. Back to the trip report…

We decided to store our luggage at Bonnet Creek while we waited for our room to be ready. After doing this, we went back to the airport to await the arrival of the boys luggage from Chicago. We made our way to baggage claim just as the bags we starting to come out on the belt. We would not have gone for their bags, but…I needed a little extra room while packing, so I had used up some room in my sons bag!

We collected their bags, but still not looking good for them to make it out of Chicago. We wanted to stay close to the airport in case they did eventually make it out. My DH is retired military, and there is a Navy Exchange on the West side of the airport, so that is where we went to kill time waiting for not only the boys, but for our room to be ready. While we were there, the boys called to say that there was no way they were getting out of Chicago today, and that they were going to head home and try again tomorrow. Majorly disappointed and bummed! It was now after 5 PM and we still had not gotten a call that our room was ready. We took our chances and went back to Bonnet Creek. Our room was indeed, ready so we unloaded and unpacked.

We would NOT be cooking dinner tonight. Tonight’s dinner would be Chevy’s Mexican, not far from Downtown Disney. While eating dinner, I received a call from my mom. She was the one who would be taking care of our two dogs at home while we were gone. She was concerned that our dog, Maggie, was maybe not feeling well. Maggie is our 14 yr old Chihuahua who was 100% fine when we left yesterday!!!

After finishing up dinner, we headed back to the room. I talked to my mom again as well as my son, who confirmed that she was not acting quite right. I called the emergency vet back at home, and they calmed me down by telling me that it very well could have been stress of us being gone, to just keep an eye on her and she didn’t get better, to bring her in tomorrow.

Feeling better about it all, we all went to bed for the night. Hopefully, tomorrow, we will be picking the boys up from the airport and finally picking up our park tickets!

Great start to your report so far! Looking forward to reading more!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Great report so far! I can't wait to read more.

Thank you for posting.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Can't wait for more! Thank you for sharing this with us

Sent from my Z992 using TalkDisney

One great pair of shoes can change your life..."Cinderella

click here to become a premium member

Re: 9 Nifty Nights at WDW (and my not so magic+ review)

Day 3- Sunday August 3

Today started off a tad bit slower than yesterday. I think the traveling was catching up with us. Although, we really were not in a huge hurry to get anywhere today anyways…

Today we would be waiting, patiently, to see if the boys could get out of Chicago. They returned to O’Hare at 5 AM to begin their waiting game. It was apparent very early today, that they were not getting to Orlando out of Chicago again today. However, the flights from Chicago to Newark had plenty of room, and the flights from Newark to Orlando looked good as well. They were able to get on the Newark flight on the first try. They took off for Newark expecting to catch a connecting flight there and arriving in Orlando around 2:30 PM.

We took our time getting ready today. Slowly made breakfast and took showers. While getting ready, I received yet another phone call from my mom telling me that Maggie is much, much worse today and she thinks we should take her to the vet. I agreed and called the emergency vet to let them know she was going to be on her way.

The boys landed safely in Newark, and were just waiting and watching the stand-by list to Orlando. We figured we would go do a little outlet mall shopping while waiting to have to go pick them up at the airport. As soon as we arrived at the outlet mall, I received a call from the vet back at home. Turns out Maggie was indeed, very sick!! She had a 104 fever and a severe infection. The vet was confident she could help her get better, but it required immediate surgery to the tune of $1800-$2300!! Yikes!! Not a great way to start your vacation!! Without hesitation, we agreed to the surgery. It would be a few hours before surgery though as she needed meds first to bring down the fever and hydrate her.

Now in a complete daze, we attempted to shop. Then…..smack!!! Andrew calls me and tell me “we have a problem”….Not knowing how much more I could hear today, he confirmed my worst fears…..When they left Chicago, they were #7 and 8 on the standby list from Newark to Orlando. By the time they arrived in Newark, they had bumped to #38 and 39 on the list! And, there was NO WAY they were getting to Orlando. Sadly, they had decided to return to Chicago and will not be joining us on the trip after all….I was very sad and disappointed! As was our 10 yr old, Nathan. He even shed a few tears upon hearing that the boys are not coming….

We had purposely not purchased our park tickets until we knew the boys were on their way here. Turns out, it is a very good thing we didn’t!!! We had also held off buying groceries until we were sure either. So, we decided to head to Walmart now to do the grocery shopping.

On the way to Walmart, the vet called me again to tell me they were taking Maggie to surgery. They would call me in about 2 hours when she was out and doing good. We started our shopping, when about 30 mins later my phone rang. It was the vet again. NOT a good sign….They had begun surgery, and had discovered that it was not an infection that she had. Turns out, Maggie had very advanced stage cancer. We had to make the very, very difficult decision to end her pain. Very, very tough day for all of us!!!

We were all numb, and not sure how we even finished making our way through Walmart, but we did. We went back to Bonnet Creek to just kind of regroup and process what had just happened. No one had any energy or desire to go anywhere else today, so we just grilled some steaks for dinner. We ended up just hanging out in the room for the night and called it a day fairly early. We were all mentally and physically exhausted.

Althought it was not an ideal way to start a vacation, I believe all things happen for a reason, and there must have been a very good reason why it happened the way it did. She was her own usual spunky self when we left on Friday so, the boys never had to see her in the bad shape she was. They could now always remember her happy and spunky. We had one week before we would return home. One week to have time to process it. And, what better place to process it but the Happiest Place on Earth??!!

Tomorrow would be a new day, and a new start to our vacation…..
    Last edited by browns3030; 08-15-2014 at 03:20 PM.

So sorry about your dog! That's terrible. Like you said though, at least your kids didn't have to see her that way. Our cat passed away suddenly while we were in Disney a couple years ago, and I know that feeling of being in a dazed state of shock. My condolences.

That's a shame your son couldn't make it. Hope the rest of your vacation was enjoyable. Looking forward to reading more.
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

I'm so sorry about Maggie. We're big-time dog lovers like you and it's a heart wrenching thing to happen.

I hope you managed to find some enjoyment from the rest of your trip.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

So sorry you vacation did not state out the way you had hoped and planned. I hope it only gets better. Looking forward to reading more.