Chronic Pain and Disney

Mickey Chronic Pain and Disney

AS many of you remember, I broke my wrist and thumb right before going to WDW in Jan. Well, that simple break has turned into something called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), which is extremely rare as well as extremely painful!!! there is no cure, so I will have many trips to WDW with pain!!! The doctor is frantically looking for treatments that will work, but right now there is nothing.

I am going back to WDW in June and want to know if anyone has gone to WDW with chronic pain conditions?

2015-Beach Club, 2013-Old Key West & Vero Beach, 2011- Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village, 2009- Boardwalk, 2007- Saratoga Springs, 2006- Hilton Head, 2006- School Trip, 2004- Wilderness Lodge & Ft. Wilderness, 2003-Disneyland, 2001- Boardwalk, 2001- Vero Beach, 2000-Dixie Landings (Join DVC) 2000- Vero Beach, 1997- Dixie Landings

Oh no! We hope you get well soon!
    One advice is to take everything you have at home to help ease the pain on the trip. Also try make a take along kit for when you are at the parks like icy hot pads, pain killers, ice packs (the one that you activate when needed) etc.
    Good luck, best wishes and have a magical trip!
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

I have lower back problems, some days worse than others. I've had to rent scooters because walking got so painful. I never used the scooter to get to the front of the lines, though. It just felt wrong. It's difficult to have pain when at WDW, but at least you're at WDW!
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Re: Chronic Pain and Disney

Yes, i have Chondromalacia Patella which is a high knee cap. Been to WDW over 40 times with it and long days on my feet, long walking etc... Had it since i was born, one surgery , there is no cure and im NOT ever going to stop going!. Good luck and have fun!

MB
    Last edited by mberenato; 03-21-2015 at 11:50 PM.
    Mike
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    30+ trips and counting to WDW
    EW Contemp. 83, Contemp. 84, Ft. Wilderness 85 EW Contemp. 86,Class trip 86, Oak Island Cove 02, Radisson 03, Radisson 03, POR 04, Radisson 04 Renaissance Inn 04, POR 2\05, POP 3\05, POR 06, POR 07, POR 08, AKL 10\08, AKL 3\09, Jambo House 5\09........ too many to list now :-)

I'm due an operation in 2 weeks on my knee and go for the first time in 156 days! I'm hoping surgery fixes it so I can be pain free!

Since starting this post, I was lucky enough to get into an amazing pain management therapist for my condition. She has taught we way to cope with excruciating pain my condition as well as way to calm my aggravated nerves when the weather changes (which happens a lot in FL).

2015-Beach Club, 2013-Old Key West & Vero Beach, 2011- Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village, 2009- Boardwalk, 2007- Saratoga Springs, 2006- Hilton Head, 2006- School Trip, 2004- Wilderness Lodge & Ft. Wilderness, 2003-Disneyland, 2001- Boardwalk, 2001- Vero Beach, 2000-Dixie Landings (Join DVC) 2000- Vero Beach, 1997- Dixie Landings

Good luck with your Pain Mang... mine is over 40 years of it, i just deal with it... My kids always check with me when they hear some sort of "bad" storm system is rolling in .. they callme... lol
    Mike
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    30+ trips and counting to WDW
    EW Contemp. 83, Contemp. 84, Ft. Wilderness 85 EW Contemp. 86,Class trip 86, Oak Island Cove 02, Radisson 03, Radisson 03, POR 04, Radisson 04 Renaissance Inn 04, POR 2\05, POP 3\05, POR 06, POR 07, POR 08, AKL 10\08, AKL 3\09, Jambo House 5\09........ too many to list now :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mberenato View Post
    Good luck with your Pain Mang... mine is over 40 years of it, i just deal with it... My kids always check with me when they hear some sort of "bad" storm system is rolling in .. they callme... lol
    If they put you in a tends unit that requires 9 volt batteries bring lots of extra. They do not sell them at the park.

My husband needed some for his tends unit none was to be found . Oh. Grab a note from your dr for a scooter just in case you knee isn't feeling well . Better then staying in the room. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkercat View Post
    If they put you in a tends unit that requires 9 volt batteries bring lots of extra. They do not sell them at the park. My husband needed some for his tends unit none was to be found . Oh. Grab a note from your dr for a scooter just in case you knee isn't feeling well . Better then staying in the room. Good luck
    After looking at pictures of a previous trip you could tell I was in pain. Good advice about the extra batteries.

I had back surgery in 2011 right before our first trip my movement is limited but I take my meds and enjoy my time while I am there and I live life mine was created because a lady didn't look and she got over and nearly killed me but by the grace of god I am here I do find the florida weather does not make my arthritis hurt as much as the midwest weather does also I get steriod injections 3 times about a month before I leave to help with the inflamation all the walking causes me..

- - - Updated - - -

U can ask to try a tens unit but if your pain is nerve damage it won't help or it hasn't for mine or did physical therapy do anything except make a painful situation more painful to the point I couldn't leave the bed for days because of what they expected my body to do..
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

If you can dream it, You can do it!

I just finished my Disney stay and the pain did not stop me from doing that much. Even though the pain is in my hand and arm, I still had to slow down while having a flare up and could not ride the jerky rides like Everest as much. I was able to manage through then pain. Thanks for all your help guys!!!