New Bar at the Poly!

New Bar at the Poly!

We had a chance to go to the Poly's brand new interactive bar, Trader Sam's Grog Grotto last week.

Since it's very small and they don't overcrowd it, they hand out pagers. We had a 2-hour wait to get in. Meanwhile, we went to its outside patio, where they serve the same drinks and food, and there was a ukelele player. It was very relaxing and pretty. We ate and drank, then went into the Poly's main lobby to shop a little. Then our buzzer went off.

The bar, which you can't see until you're inside, was amazing! The walls and ceiling are covered with memorabilia and other fun things. There is seating for everyone. The bar is very much alive, with moving props, lighting effects, and crazy antics from the bartenders.

Whenever you order a drink, something happens. For example, the lighting turns blue with underwater effects when you order the Nautilus drink, which is a huge drink that comes in a ceramic submarine. A giant octopus tentacle comes down from the ceiling clutching a bottle of rum, and a bartender starts "swimming" around the bar wearing a glow-in-the-dark scuba mask.

In the corner of the bar is a giant clam shell. If you order a drink called the Polynesian Pearl, the shell glows red inside and then opens. The bartender pulls out a big pearl mug for your drink (which is yours to keep) and starts ooh-ing and ah-ing over it. There's even a little bartender schtick when you order a glass of water!

There are lots of other great effects, most notably what happens when you order a Krakatoa Punch or the shareable Uh Oa. (I won't give it away here.)

Just don't be surprised if your barstool is suddenly a couple feet lower than everyone else's! This happened to DH. It was so gradual, he didn't realize it until he was looking up at me.

It's important to note that after 8pm it's an adults-only bar, which makes sense because it was a little rowdy. I don't normally like loud bars, but this place is definitely a must-see.

I'm not a big fan of rum, but I loved the Polynesian Pearl, which is kind of creamy and cinnamon-y. Very yummy. like a dessert drink. Although the Polynesian Pearl (plastic) mug is free, the other ceramic mugs are available for purchase for just a few dollars more than the drink costs.

Food offerings include Kalua Pork Tacos, Roasted Chicken and Pork Ban Mi Sliders, and Chicken Lettuce Cups. We'll have to try the latter next time to see how they stack up to the lettuce cups at the Yak & Yeti...mmmmm, lettuce cups!

Although the outside patio is relaxing, the inside is more like an attraction, but it is definitely something to see for about 30-45 minutes. It's unlike anything else at WDW!
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Re: New Bar at the Poly!

That place sounds AWESOME! Your hubby stool going down is too funny.
    Cant wait to try that place.
    Thanks for sharing!
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Mmmm - lettuce cups!!

Great post Alice. I really enjoyed reading it.

The bar sounds fun. Maybe a few leftover ideas from the Adventurers Club in there?
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

I have been watching the videos people have been posting online and it looks amazing!! I can't wait to see it in September. Thanks for the write up!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    Maybe a few leftover ideas from the Adventurers Club in there?
    Exactly! I've never been in the Adventurers Club, but that was definitely part of the idea. A cross between that, Tiki Room, and Jungle Cruise.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Oh my goodness this sounds incredible! For some strange reason my darling hubby isn't too keen on the Polynesian resort so I really hope I can persuade him to go here when we visit in July. Need to get my 14 year old working on him so that we can all go before 8 - either that or he'll be abandoned by the two of us for a couple of hours haha
    If you can dream it you can do it.....

Quote Originally Posted by disneygirl1981 View Post
    Oh my goodness this sounds incredible! For some strange reason my darling hubby isn't too keen on the Polynesian resort so I really hope I can persuade him to go here when we visit in July. Need to get my 14 year old working on him so that we can all go before 8 - either that or he'll be abandoned by the two of us for a couple of hours haha
    Has your DH ever been to the Poly? It's really nice, especially with the brand new spacious lobby. It's a great place for breakfast. 'Ohana has a very good character breakfast and Kona Cafe has Tonga Toast! And the Poly beach is a great place to watch Wishes.

You have to go to that bar, though. Tell DH it's a cross between bar and attraction.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

Sounds amazing!! Thanks for this report Alice! This is definitely on our "must do" list for our next kid free long weekend in October. We have a 7:50 ADR at Ohana so if we arrive at 5/5:30pm, do you think that will give us enough time?
    SEPT'89 Contemporary, MAR'01 A.S. Sports, AUG'07 A.S. Sports, OCT'08 A.S. Sports, SEPT'09 POP Century,
    NOV'10 P O Riverside, JAN'12 POP Century,
    JAN'13 P O French Quarter, OCT'13 Art of Animation
    APR'14 Caribbean Beach, SEPT'14 Coronado Springs
    DEC'14 FW Cabins, OCT'15 Caribbean Beach

Earlier! Because there's always a wait to get in. Ours was 2 hours.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post

Has your DH ever been to the Poly? It's really nice, especially with the brand new spacious lobby. It's a great place for breakfast. 'Ohana has a very good character breakfast and Kona Cafe has Tonga Toast! And the Poly beach is a great place to watch Wishes.

You have to go to that bar, though. Tell DH it's a cross between bar and attraction.
    We had a walk round the resort last summer as I was hoping to persuade him to use our dvc points there for our next visit. I love it but he doesn't. Sure my son will persuade him to visit 😉
    If you can dream it you can do it.....

Hmm, this sounds fun! I hope to try this out next month..

MB
    Mike
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    30+ trips and counting to WDW
    EW Contemp. 83, Contemp. 84, Ft. Wilderness 85 EW Contemp. 86,Class trip 86, Oak Island Cove 02, Radisson 03, Radisson 03, POR 04, Radisson 04 Renaissance Inn 04, POR 2\05, POP 3\05, POR 06, POR 07, POR 08, AKL 10\08, AKL 3\09, Jambo House 5\09........ too many to list now :-)

This sounds awesome. We love staying at akl and going to kona cafe for breakfast. This will be our new spot for sure. I love trying new types of drinks and love a great atmosphere. I better start saving up

After going to Trader Sam's three times, I've tasted most of the tropical drinks on the menu. My favorite is the juicy, cinnamon-y Uh-Oah, which is a huge drink that is meant to be shared. The fanfare that comes with it is great, too.

I also really liked the Dark & Tropical Stormy, which has a strong ginger flavor. Everyone at our table loved the Nautilus except me. The rum flavor was too strong for my taste. This is another giant drink to be shared. It comes in a bowl that looks like the Nautilus sub from 20,000 Leagues, and you can buy it (which we did). My least favorite drink was Rosita's Margarita. I love margaritas, but this one was just so-so.

The best thing I ate was the dumplings, which have crispy edges and come with a spicy dipping sauce. The lettuce cups are not really worth it. Get them at Yak & Yeti instead (mmmm...lettuce cups!).

On our third visit, we had a waiter that was way over-the-top and rather annoying, but we endured. I just wonder why the older guy, who seems like he might be the manager, looks so unhappy all the time. Everyone else in the bar is laughing and having fun. Strange.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR