Pre-Trip - englanddg's Is this the Real Life or is this just Fantasy - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Pre-Trip - englanddg's Is this the Real Life or is this just Fantasy

That video was so funny!!!!

2015-Beach Club, 2013-Old Key West & Vero Beach, 2011- Animal Kingdom Lodge-Kidani Village, 2009- Boardwalk, 2007- Saratoga Springs, 2006- Hilton Head, 2006- School Trip, 2004- Wilderness Lodge & Ft. Wilderness, 2003-Disneyland, 2001- Boardwalk, 2001- Vero Beach, 2000-Dixie Landings (Join DVC) 2000- Vero Beach, 1997- Dixie Landings

The Universal portion of the trip is now paid off.

I had a blast speaking with the person on the phone. We talked about all the great things that have opened at Universal since my last trip in 2012. She also covered how the dining plans have changed (which, my Dining Plan was the one thing I regretted getting last trip), and I may add it later. I need to do some reading into it. Though, I still think I'm going to just pay out of pocket.

But, she was knowledgeable, bubbly, and fun to chat with. We went on discussing things for nearly an hour before she took my payment!

I'm getting excited!
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Wow what an amazing trip you have planned out!! I'm there in 112 days and am seriously jealous of you!
    Have a quick question... did you contact disney cruise line for your land and sea portion or did you do them separately. I am thinking of doing that next year and wanted to now the best way to book.
    Thanks and I look forward to reading more about your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by skyelili View Post
    Wow what an amazing trip you have planned out!! I'm there in 112 days and am seriously jealous of you!
    Have a quick question... did you contact disney cruise line for your land and sea portion or did you do them separately. I am thinking of doing that next year and wanted to now the best way to book.
    Thanks and I look forward to reading more about your trip.
    I contacted both and compared. DCL can book your pre and post WDW hotel/tickets/dining plans for you, but they have some limitations.

First, as it was explained to me, DCL doesn't have access to the same discount programs that Disney Travel Company (WDW) has. So, they can't do stuff like Free Dining or see discounts like the "Back to School / End of Summer" room discounts.

However, they do have their own discount options, which are quite impressive.

Second, they can't book you longer than 5 days pre or post.

Third, DCL can't book your ticket for more than the number of NIGHTS of your pre or post WDW trip. This means that if you want to fly in early, and go to a park, or fly out late on your departure day and go to a park in the morning, they can't sell you those tickets. What they recommended to me was that I purchase the tickets separately. This is partially why they got me 3 days at Pop for around 600 with DDP. A GREAT price, but no tickets. Once I added the tickets through Disneyworld.com (for pricing, I didn't purchase), they came much closer to what Disney Travel quoted me.

Fourth, they can't sell you more than the Disney Dining Plan (1 QS, 1 Snack, 1 TS per day). If you want more than that (which I decided I did), then you have to book through WDW.

The other issue is that DCL requires more in down payment than WDW. WDW is $200 for a Magic Your Way package, regardless of how expensive your trip is. DCL is a percentage (1/3, I think, maybe it's 1/4?) of your total package cost. When you add several hundred (or even 1 - 2k) through DCL, that increases your down payment.

Also, another financial concern is that DCL requires payment in full much further in advance (90 days, I think, vs 45 for WDW) than WDW. So, again, if your WDW portion of the trip is booked through them, you'll have to pay off that portion when you pay off the cruise as well. So, if you want to "stretch" your final payments out, you'll want to book through Disney Travel Company (WDW) directly.

So, I ended up cancelling the DCL reservation for WDW and booking straight through Disney Travel Company (WDW) directly.

But, I would certainly look into both options. Bookending is the best way to do a Disney Cruise from Port Canaveral, imho.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

So, two minor updates. One now, one in about an hour (when my FP+ windows open up at midnight).

Update #1

So, I've decided instead of trying to do a half or so day at Universal on Weds, instead, we are going to head on over to AKL early, and then check in (or check our bags with Bell Services if the room isn't ready), then hop a bus through Magic Kingdom, then a Boat or Bus to Wilderness Lodge / Fort Wilderness (depending on what the boats look like from there).

That day I have booked:

1:00p Horseback Riding

This is a 45 minute horseback excursion through the trails of Ft. Wilderness. This is to make up for a failed "Pony Ride" experience on our last trip that had my daughter near tears and shattered her mood for most of the day due to...insurance reasons. You can read about that experience here.

2:45p Archery Lessons

After Archery, we'll go fishing (catch and release, it's at the same place...the Bike Barn and Trading Shop).

So, around 5p, our day at Ft. Wilderness will be over, so from there, I am still trying to decide if I want to cancel our Jikos reservation, or change it to a later time, or what...maybe we'll go hit up mini golf at Fantasia Golf and grab dinner at Yachtsman instead? Or...we could do the Mickey's BBQ.

Just not sure.

Oh, and what to do with that third day Uni ticket? Well, we are coming in early enough, that I think we'll just use it on Sunday instead.

Last edited by englanddg; 06-12-2015 at 11:21 PM.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Schedule Update

After making several modifications to FP+ and ADRs, my schedule has changed a bit.

So, here's how the final itinerary looks as of today.

Aug 7
    * Fly from ATL to DCA on Delta (it's cheapest for me to fly them because they are based and major hubbed out of the ATL airport)
    * Check into the Embassy Suites and meet up with the kiddo. It will be late, as my flight doesn't even land until 9:20, so I won't get to the hotel until nearly 10p, so we'll just sleep through the night for an early start the next morning (with a free cooked to order breakfast from the hotel, I may add!)
    Aug 8
    * Breakfast at the hotel
    * Smithsonian and National Mall
    * Lunch?
    * Washington Monument at 7:30p
    * Dinner?
    Aug 9
    * 9:25 flight with Jetblue from Reagan to Orlando. We'll arrive around 11:30. This should put us at Portofino Bay, with a taxi ride from MCO, around noon.
    * Go to the parks
    * Try to have lunch at Leaky Cauldron, at least that's what I want...we'll see what the kiddo's moods are. That said, I really wanted a Dagwood from Blondie's, but after reading several reviews about it being pre-made, I've opted against that.
    * Blue Man Group center front row seats at 7p
    Aug 10
    * Breakfast at Three Broomsticks at 10a
    * Lunch at Mythos at 2p
    * Dinner at Lombard's at 7p, with a Dessert Party / Special Viewing Area for the Cinematic Spectacular. I found this offering just yesterday when I was reviewing restaurants at Universal (Lombard's was one I wanted to do last trip to Universal, but wasn't able to) and saw they do have a special event offering. It's not a bad deal, at $45 per adult ($13 for kids under 10). That includes a pretty decent Prix fixe menu, where you can choose from an appetizer and entree, as well as a non-alcoholic beverage. After your meal, you are issued a ticket (think...Fantasmic Package at Hollywood Studios) that gets you access to a special dessert party and viewing area at Lombard's. I booked dinner late, at 7p, because the party starts seating at 8p, and the Cinematic Spectacular starts at 9p.
    Aug 11
    * I think we will try to make it over to Cabana Bay and have breakfast at Bayliner. Also, depending on the weather and my kid's mood, we may go swimming while there.
    * Something from the Crusty Burger area at Uni for Lunch
    * Not sure what to do for dinner. I think we'll just wing it.
    Aug 12
    * Trattoria del Porto at Portofino Bay for breakfast at 8a
    * Taxi over to AKL after breakfast (I have not reserved this yet, debating if I'll pay a bit extra and get a towncar or limo...just for fun...but I need to check the prices on that)
    * Check in or drop off our luggage, then hop a bus over to Magic Kingdom, and from there a bus / boat to Ft. Wilderness. Take the Ft. Wilderness Resort shuttle to the Parking Lots for...
    * 12:30p Horseback Riding at Ft. Wilderness
    * Take the Resort Shuttle to the Bike Barn and Trading Post for...
    * Fishing
    * 2:45p Archery Lessons
    * Head back to AKL and hang out around the pool, get settled in the room, whatever
    * 7:15p Dinner at Sanaa. That's right, I cancelled Jikos. There are a few reasons for this. First, I wasn't exactly thrilled my last trip there (though it was good, it wasn't as good as 2012), second, I have other things I want to spend the extra dining credits on during this portion of the stay, and third, I'm trying to book mostly restaurants we have NOT eaten at, or have not eaten at recently (as in the past few trips) during this trip, simply to branch out from our traditional favorites. So...Sanaa it is!
    * Spend the rest of the evening setting up the webcam that I'm going to run from our balcony while the kiddo plays with the day/night monocular I bought and takes pictures, video, etc. of the animals as we gorge ourselves on complimentary club level goodies.
    Aug 13
    * Magic Kingdom!
    * Breakfast at Cindy's Royal Table at 8:05...making sure to take pictures / video of the empty park!
    * 2:10 lunch at Be Our Guest
    * Seven Dwarfs Mine Train at 3:05p - 4:05p
    * Peter Pan's Flight at 4:20p - 5:20p
    * Anna and Elsa Meet and Greet at 5:40p - 6:50p (sigh, it came up in another thread, and it reminded me, if I didn't book this one, my daughter would kill me)
    * 6:45 dinner at Tony's Town Square
    * We are gonna do MSEP and Wishes the old fashioned way, staking out a spot at the base of the Castle about an hour before the show and camping out.
    Aug 14
    * EPCOT!
    * 8:45a Breakfast at Cape May. I'm still not sure about this one.
    * Spaceship Earth 10a - 11a
    * 12:30 Lunch at Via Napoli (Yeah, I cancelled our Teppan Edo...I actually just wanted to move Teppan Edo to dinner, but there were no slots, so...)
    * Figment 2:05p - 3:05p (yeah, this ride needs an FP...right? Riiiiiight....)
    * Soarin 3:20p - 4:20p
    * Nine Dragons at 6p. Another new restaurant for us. Though, I'd prefer Teppan Edo, I think this will be an interesting thing to try. We both like Chinese food, but for some reason we always skip the dining options (even the QS stuff) at EPCOT. This replaced Le Cellier, but again, it's for the same reason why I cancelled Jikos. I want to try new stuff, or stuff we don't do often. Plus, my dinner experience at Le Cellier wasn't very good last trip. At least not 2 dining credit "signature" good.
    * Ok, this is a new one for us. 8p we have the "Illuminations Sparkling Dessert Party". Traditionally I've been against these sorts of "experiences"...but after doing the Club Level "dessert party" at Contemporary last trip, I sortof like the concept, so I thought we'd give this a shot. Plus, we don't have to jockey for a viewing spot.
    Aug 15
    * Breakfast at Boma at 8:55a
    * DCL Transit will pick us up, I suspect sometime around 10a - 11a, and we'll head off to Port Canaveral and the Fantasy!
    Aug 16
    * At Sea - No plans yet
    Aug 17
    * At Sea - No plans yet
    Aug 18
    * St. Maarten
    * Nothing planned yet, but I'm considering the Create Your Own Perfume
    * PIRATE NIGHT!
    I will order our costumes next week. So, LAST CHANCE TO VOTE HERE!

Aug 19
    * St. Thomas / St. John
    * The kiddo has family here who have said they'll plan our day for us. So, not sure what we are going to do, but...
    If we do an excursion I'm debating are the Tree Limin' Ziplines, the Sea Trek Helmet Dive and the Screamin' Eagle high speed boat ride
    Aug 20
    * At Sea - No plans yet
    Aug 21
    * Castaway Cay
    * Castaway Cay Getaway Package which includes bike rental for an hour (the kiddo loves to ride her bike), snorkel rental and tube rental for the day.
    Aug 22
    * DCL should have us to Art of Animation around noon.
    * Hollywood Studios!
    * 2:00p Lunch at Sci Fi Dine In
    * 7:45 Dinner at 50's Prime Time
    * Fantasmic
    Aug 23
    * Animal Kingdom (I have no idea why AK ends up being a Sunday thing for us every year, but it does!
    * 8:20 breakfast at Tusker House
    * 1:30 lunch at Yak and Yeti
    * Dinner / Snacks at Harambe
    * 7:15 dinner at San Angel Inn
    * Watch Illuminations again
    Aug 24
    * Ohana for Breakfast at 7:55a.
    * Typhoon Lagoon in the Morning
    * 1p lunch at T-Rex (though, I've never had trouble walking up to T-Rex, so I'll probably cancel this).
    * Blizzard Beach in the Afternoon
    * Tentative 7p Dinner at Raglan Rd. I may swap this out for Jiko or Yachtsman, but probably not. We need a DTD day for shopping.
    Aug 25
    * Last day..so sad.
    * 11:45 Lunch at Cindy's Royal Table
    * After the 3p parade, we'll head back to the resort.
    * 7:35p flight on Delta back to Washington Reagan. Arrive very late (11:45p)
    * Check into Residence Inn Arlington to crash for the evening.
    * Meet up with the kiddo's Mom to return her back to everyday life...
    Aug 26
    * 10:45 return flight on Delta back to ATL.
    Last edited by englanddg; 06-14-2015 at 09:01 PM.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Wow! Thank goodness you have some sea days in there or you might have needed a vacation from your vacation.

Wow what a fun trip you have planned! Your kiddo is so lucky to have you...... I am always bad at trying new restaurants. My kiddos aren't good with trying "new" foods, so we always end up eating what we know and like.. Cindy's breakfast, 50's Cafe, Tusker house, Chef Mickey's, Liberty Tree (so bummed they will be closed when we are there in October), and Garden Grill. We will be trying Be Our Guest for lunch this time, as well as 1900 Park Fare & Crystal Palace, but that is because I know what the kiddos like! Can't wait to keep reading about your trip!
    1983- First trip, MK & EPCOT
    1986- Second Trip, My grandmother got tickled silly by Pluto because she would not smile while he was giving her hugs. It lasted for 15 minutes! Best part of the trip
    2010- Third trip, my girls first trip. Was so magical
    2012- second trip for kiddos, Christmas time Spectacular. First DCL, over New Years Eve.So unbelievable!
    2015- Going again in October for the MiNSSH. Staying at POR.
    2016- June. Staying at POR

Quote Originally Posted by txmomx2 View Post
    Wow! Thank goodness you have some sea days in there or you might have needed a vacation from your vacation.
    The kiddo and I haven't taken a trip in 2 years.

Last edited by englanddg; 06-15-2015 at 07:47 PM.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

heheehe what I am not seeing here is the pre packing pre list that I know Englanddg does so well.. Hope you guys have a great trip we have 73 days till we hit disney world for our honeymoo.. Love my DVC
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

If you can dream it, You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymommyx2 View Post
    heheehe what I am not seeing here is the pre packing pre list that I know Englanddg does so well.. Hope you guys have a great trip we have 73 days till we hit disney world for our honeymoo.. Love my DVC
    Haha! It is coming! Still a bit far out for final packing, though I have already started consolidating things into my suitcase!

Have a great trip!
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Minor update.

The first leg of the Disney trip is now paid off.

In addition, I picked up some 3M command velcro with a weight rating of 16 lbs to hold my dropcam (which weighs about 1 lb).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	17206-commandtm-picture-hanging-strips.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	19.9 KB 
ID:	9242

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	538687181_330.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	9241

These things are great! Though, I hope it's enough to hold the webcam! I think so though, because I use them to hold routers at work to the wall that weigh about 4 - 5 lbs each, and they work great for that.

My plan is to use this adhesive to mount my webcam to either the sliding door or somewhere on my balcony.

Webcam, you may ask?

It's a Dropcam Pro. Excellent brand. Owned (through Nest) by Google now. It will give a 130 degree angle, 8x zoom, great low light / night cam and even audio. Someone had done this before, and I thought it was a neat idea as we have a Savannah View room at AKL.

Also, it will record (I'll pay for the 7 day recording feature...that costs $10) so I will have a wonderful 24/7 set of videos of the vista at Arusha to play with later!

So, end result, you guys can poke around watching the animals while we are out at the parks. I'll post the link in this report when we get to that.

Also, as the mount is velcro, I can take the camera down if weather gets bad or for other reasons.

Anyhow, won't cost me anything, and it should be a fun little addition to the trip report!
    Last edited by englanddg; 06-20-2015 at 01:24 AM.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Great idea, englanddg! I love live Disney webcams. I'll look forward to that!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Love reading your reports and can't wait to see your web cam!

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Great idea, englanddg! I love live Disney webcams. I'll look forward to that!
    The unit actually will allow me to broadcast live from the parks as well...so I may sneak in a Wishes or other show...

Just depends. I still haven't fleshed it out. I may bring one of my other Dropcams as well (one for the resort as a stationary, one as a mobile where I'll run special "events"). Have not decided.

I don't want to get to obsessed with that aspect, but really it's a minor thing out of my trip to do and doesn't cost me more than a few minutes to get the dropcams online when I get to Disney, so why not? Wanna watch wishes with us? I'll just set one up at our feet on the pavement, and you'll get our view! Not hard. A few minutes of time, and a good chance for me to continue my child's education about IT related matters (just like her building her own website from scratch in notepad++, I'm teaching the kiddo a "trade" if you will as a hobby...)

Oh, if you are wondering about power, I have a portable Energizer powerpack than can run a dropcam for a few hours that I take, not for the dropcam, but to keep my cel phone charged throughout the day, as Disney just drains the heck out of cel batteries, in my experience!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmule229 View Post
    Love reading your reports and can't wait to see your web cam!
    Welcome aboard! The next major update will be next Sat when I finalize the schedule due to the FP+ windows coming open for the last half of the trip.

Then after that will be the final payment update (first week of July).

Final plans (same week).

Packing list (sometime in the following two weeks)

And then the big final 14 - 20 day wait until the trip starts!

There will be here and there updates littered throughout as I still have quite a bit to figure out about the DC portion of the trip...
    Last edited by englanddg; 06-21-2015 at 01:48 AM.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast