Disappointing Jiko :-(
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Near Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    10,183

    Disappointing Jiko :-(

    Use had a really disappointing meal at Jiko.

    Jiko has always been our favourite WDW restaurant but tonight, the food was just "ok to good" rather than great as we've been used to.

    Service was just average too - disappointing by the standards we've become used to.

    Based on tonight, I'm not really sure we'll be going back.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

    TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    10,070
    Oh, that's too bad! Maybe it was just an off night?
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

    DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Disappointing Jiko :-(

    I'm going in a few months, I'll chime in if it's indeed gone downhill.

    I'm hoping it is just an off night? Our trip in 2013 wasn't as good as the 2012 meal, but it was still well above average. I hope this isn't proof of a long term decline (they changed chefs between 2012 and 2013 is what I was told, flipped around the menu, and made some other changes).

    If true...very sad...
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

  4. #4
    Oh no that's a shame. We went for our honeymoon in 2013 and the food/service was excellent. We've booked to go back in November. Hopefully it was just a one off. See what other people say and hopefully you'll go back and it'll be better.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Near Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    10,183
    True!

    I'll keep an eye on the boards for Jiko comments.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

    TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Disappointing Jiko :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    True!

    I'll keep an eye on the boards for Jiko comments.
    I'm hooked on the place due to your trip reports!

    I have it booked next trip, I'll post my honest thoughts.

    That said, I noted during my 2013 trip that dining overall had declined...a lot of "new" chefs and menu changes, and overall the restaurants were a mess (and this is coming from a guy with over a decade of F&B experience, so I'm quite forgiving)...

    There were some shining stars. Cindy's menu had improved, etc.

    Jikos was amazing, but not as good as 2012...now that you mention it...but I chalked that up to it also not being "new" to us anymore.

    We'll see next trip?
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Near Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    10,183
    I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

    The food was very good (not quite great but very good!) but the service really wasn't "signature" service.

    Hope it was just an off night.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

    TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    66
    Actually I too have read quite a few of everyone's posts about Jiko's. When we rate a restaurant it is the entire experience considered. This becomes very apparent in our list of places we visited in our last trip, especially obvious with #3, one some of you may get a chuckle about.

    Our last trip in Jan 2014 had quite a few great experiences, from best to worst as follows:
    1. Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios - outstanding food. The lamb and beef were top notch with mouth watering seasoning. The picky teenager even expressed enjoyment and that is saying something! Adding the Fantasmic show to the meal made for a memorable evening.
    2. Spirit of Aloha at the Polynesian - the food may not qualify above other high cuisine, although it was pretty good, the show makes this worth a high place in my list. Great family atmosphere, and the coolest fire eating dancer ever makes this a must go once for any WDW traveller.
    3. Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage at the Contemporary - why is this in my top 3, especially since all you get to eat is some ice cream and snacks? Because all of you are like me, a kid at heart who loves the magic of Disney! There was nothing better than that boat ride with the hilarity of Captain Jack (or Smee, depending on which boat you get assigned). Travel out to the spot where you watch the Wishes fireworks from the water makes for a fantastic experience that differs from indoors at a table or out on the street.
    4. Flame Tree Barbecue in Animal Kingdom - being a barbecue snob from Texas, I will say the food passes as barbecue. What was surprising is the huge portions you receive, and the nice atmosphere with outside seating and plenty of waterfowl and egrets wandering the table area.
    5. Pecos Bills in Frontier Land - good burgers and plenty of room to enjoy a counter service meal. Lots of staff who constantly kept the place clean and the all you can eat condiment bar fully stocked.
    6. Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom - we felt fairly abused here. This place had high marks and we wonder why. Do people not have buffets in their hometowns? This place packs you in on top of each other, you have no room to move around much less feel like your neighboring tables are not part of yours! The characters that come around make the place even more congested, causing traffic jams wherever they go. Food was totally forgettable. We were very disappointed at Crystal Palace.
    7. Riverside Mill Food Court at Port Orlean's Riverside - unremarkable and forgettable but 100 feet from our room. Coffee was good.
    8. Boatwright's at Port Orlean's Riverside - expensive meal that was mediocre. We stayed there and wanted to eat with some friends and talk past closing so that was the place. Will never return.
    9. The Artist's Palate at Saratoga Springs - this place is a joke. Even a Denny's is better!

    My list may change this time when we go next Jan. There are so many places and I am sure many, like Jiko's are going to move high in the list.
    McWee - Houston, Texas
    WDW-POR Jan 2014 | Disney Dream Jan 2014 | WDW-POR Jan 2016

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Disappointing Jiko :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by mcwee View Post
    Actually I too have read quite a few of everyone's posts about Jiko's. When we rate a restaurant it is the entire experience considered. This becomes very apparent in our list of places we visited in our last trip, especially obvious with #3, one some of you may get a chuckle about.

    Our last trip in Jan 2014 had quite a few great experiences, from best to worst as follows:
    1. Brown Derby in Hollywood Studios - outstanding food. The lamb and beef were top notch with mouth watering seasoning. The picky teenager even expressed enjoyment and that is saying something! Adding the Fantasmic show to the meal made for a memorable evening.
    2. Spirit of Aloha at the Polynesian - the food may not qualify above other high cuisine, although it was pretty good, the show makes this worth a high place in my list. Great family atmosphere, and the coolest fire eating dancer ever makes this a must go once for any WDW traveller.
    3. Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage at the Contemporary - why is this in my top 3, especially since all you get to eat is some ice cream and snacks? Because all of you are like me, a kid at heart who loves the magic of Disney! There was nothing better than that boat ride with the hilarity of Captain Jack (or Smee, depending on which boat you get assigned). Travel out to the spot where you watch the Wishes fireworks from the water makes for a fantastic experience that differs from indoors at a table or out on the street.
    4. Flame Tree Barbecue in Animal Kingdom - being a barbecue snob from Texas, I will say the food passes as barbecue. What was surprising is the huge portions you receive, and the nice atmosphere with outside seating and plenty of waterfowl and egrets wandering the table area.
    5. Pecos Bills in Frontier Land - good burgers and plenty of room to enjoy a counter service meal. Lots of staff who constantly kept the place clean and the all you can eat condiment bar fully stocked.
    6. Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom - we felt fairly abused here. This place had high marks and we wonder why. Do people not have buffets in their hometowns? This place packs you in on top of each other, you have no room to move around much less feel like your neighboring tables are not part of yours! The characters that come around make the place even more congested, causing traffic jams wherever they go. Food was totally forgettable. We were very disappointed at Crystal Palace.
    7. Riverside Mill Food Court at Port Orlean's Riverside - unremarkable and forgettable but 100 feet from our room. Coffee was good.
    8. Boatwright's at Port Orlean's Riverside - expensive meal that was mediocre. We stayed there and wanted to eat with some friends and talk past closing so that was the place. Will never return.
    9. The Artist's Palate at Saratoga Springs - this place is a joke. Even a Denny's is better!

    My list may change this time when we go next Jan. There are so many places and I am sure many, like Jiko's are going to move high in the list.
    I'm sure Winkster would have something to say about Pecos Bills (I'm not sure if he's gotten over that yet).

    That said, nice list!
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Near Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    10,183
    Isn't the condiment bar at Pecos Bills just burger dressings - onions, pickles, lettuce and tomato? Do they really call it all-you-can-eat?

    Mind you, they can call it what they want. I'll never set foot in that place again!

    'Nuff said!

    ;-)
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

    TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    66
    Winkster tells it like it is, 'nuff said! I totally relate, because some places put such a bad taste in one's mouth you just cannot bring yourself to giving a second chance. That is where I am at with Crystal Palace and Saratoga Springs Artist's Palette.. never again!

    As for the "all you can eat" condiment bar, that is just me saying it because we found more than the average hamburger fixings on it. Basically most everything you want to load a Taco Salad or hamburger is on this bar. Sliced and diced onions and tomatoes, full leaf and shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, melted nacho cheese, sautéed mushrooms and sautéed onions, hamburger pickles, jalapeño and yellow peppers. And I was not shy, especially with the sautéed mushrooms, having made two trips back on those goodies.
    McWee - Houston, Texas
    WDW-POR Jan 2014 | Disney Dream Jan 2014 | WDW-POR Jan 2016

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Near Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    10,183
    Ah - gotcha!

    No idea why we caught Pecos Bills on such a bad day as so many people love it.

    Ah well, plenty of other places around to keep us happy!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

    TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    1,263

    Re: Disappointing Jiko :-(

    That's sad to hear winkster I know how much you all enjoy dining there hopefully it was just a one time thing and wont happen again!
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

    If you can dream it, You can do it!

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Near Banbury, Oxfordshire, UK
    Posts
    10,183
    Im hoping so.

    I'm coming round to the idea of trying it again. It'd be a shame not to after such a run of great meals there.

    Now we just need a WDW vacation!!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

    TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR


  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Posts
    2,937

    Re: Disappointing Jiko :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by Winkster View Post
    Im hoping so.

    I'm coming round to the idea of trying it again. It'd be a shame not to after such a run of great meals there.

    Now we just need a WDW vacation!!
    I am still debating my Saana reservation...

    A trip without that Boar Appetizer, ever since you introduced me to this venue...I'm not sure.

    I'm trying make this trip things we haven't done or haven't done recently...but...Jiko...is Jiko...

    That said, I've never had great service at Jiko, aside from 2012, only amazing food.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Jiko Dress Code
    By englanddg in forum WDW Restaurants
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-24-2012, 08:47 PM
  2. Boma or Jiko
    By stinle in forum WDW Restaurants
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-15-2012, 02:21 AM
  3. Jiko - The Cooking Place
    By Mickey Crazy in forum Animal Kingdom Lodge Dining
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 12:30 PM
  4. Jiko - The Cooking Place
    By Mickey Crazy in forum TD archives
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 12:43 PM
  5. Jiko The Cooking Place
    By Mickey Crazy in forum General Disney Chat
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-04-2006, 04:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
BACK TO TOP