kid@heart's Trip Report x2!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[email protected]'s Trip Report x2!!!

I am having a really hard time waiting for our upcoming trip, so I thought I would start a trip report to help ease the frustration (and watching this 24 hour live feed isn’t helping!). We are headed back to the World in September, but in the meantime, I wanted to mention that I never did get around to posting a trip report last year, so I wanted to do a little recapping of that trip, and then will enter into the plans for our current trip.

In a word…it was HOT!!! Both literally & figuratively. We went toward the end of August last year, and melted the whole time! Even the locals were saying they couldn’t believe how hot it was. But, it was still a great trip, and the longest one we’ve ever done, 9 days! We did a split stay between a 1 bedroom at Saratoga Springs for 5 nights, and a 1 bedroom at Animal Kingdom Lodge (Jambo) for 3 nights.

It was our first time staying at both resorts, so we were excited! Saratoga was nice, just very large! We were lucky and got a room in The Springs section, so we were pretty close to the main area (Carriage House). The only bad thing was that we were always the last bus stop to the parks, and then the last bus stop back from the parks. So most of the time the buses were standing room only to the parks, and on the return we had to wait through all 5 stops before we got to our stop.

But the resort itself was very nice and relaxing. We were near the bridge to the Paddock section, so we could take our pick between the pool there or at The Springs. Our room was nice and spacious, though it did have a somewhat confusing set up with the way the doors were. Just way too many between the bathroom and our bedroom. If you pull up the room layout, you can see what I mean: Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa - DVC Rentals But otherwise, it was our first stay in a one bedroom and we loved the extra space!

Next up was Animal Kingdom Lodge!! Let me just say, this is becoming a close second as a favorite resort. We only visited in the past and loved the feel of it, but staying there is just a whole other experience. We loved it more than any place we’ve stayed at in a long time. I hate to say it, but our upcoming trip will determine whether it now tops the Poly as my favorite!

We had booked a standard view, but somehow wound up with a savannah view. It was so cool!! Our balcony was HUGE, and every morning we would sit with our coffee and watch the animals. We were right near the gates where they let them in and out for the day. Just the best way to start your day, ever. If there was any complaint, it would just be that it was a far walk from the main lobby. But otherwise…AMAZING!! I can’t wait to stay there again this year!

As far as the rest of our experience, we had a lot of fun, new experiences planned. Our first night there we visited Raglan Road in DTD for the first time. It was sooo good, and so much fun! We were literally right next to the stage. The dancers and band were excellent and very entertaining. I highly recommend this place!

Our first full day, we went to EPCOT. We did Akershus for the first time (breakfast). The food, I thought, was just so-so, but my daughter loved meeting all the princesses. It was a nice alternative to Cinderella’s Royal Table, but not quite as good in my opinion. The rest of the day was enjoyable, just HOT! Our fastpasses were for Test Track, Maelstrom (had to get one last ride in before Anna & Elsa take over!) and Spaceship Earth.

I did have one interesting, though somewhat disappointing, experience. We had just finished at Club Cool and left at the back exit and went straight into the doors to the right. Right as we entered, we found no other than a Jack Skellington and Sally meet and greet!! The Nightmare Before Christmas is one of my favorite films, so my jaw about hit the floor. Unfortunately for me, they weren’t taking any more people in line. I just couldn’t believe it though. Just this little out of the way place and here were Jack & Sally. As far as I know, they aren’t seen in the parks all that often, so it was like I had struck Disney gold…only to have it ripped from my hands! Over-dramatic? Perhaps. But I would have LOVED to meet them.

Our second day was spent at Blizzard Beach. It had been about five years since we had been here, so it was great to go back. Always a fun time. My kids and I did Summit Plummet (a first for them!). It was a little scary since I haven’t done it in a long time, but so much fun! The view from up there is amazing…

I will end it here for now, but will write a little more when I have a chance. It’s never too late for a trip report, right?? Thanks for letting me relive the magic!!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 05-24-2015 at 07:40 AM.
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Re: [email protected]'s Trip Report x2!!!

Never to late for a trip report!
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Great report! And you're right...that IS a lot of doors!

I don't know how you can do WDW in August/September. We were just there earlier this month and it was way too hot for me.

I've never seen Nightmare Before Christmas characters. Did you get any photos?
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Thanks for sharing, I'll keep following along!

The resorts were very nice choices for split stays.
    That must've been great in a long trip like that.

Yep it's bad when your in wdw and cast members tell you no.... It just doesn't happen a whole a lot. And they didn't tell you if they would be back out after their break or a later time?
    I've never seen them either at the parks. I like Sally and always loved her costume.
    Were you able to snap pictures of them?
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

I didn't get a picture of them. They were with other people so I thought that might be weird if I snapped a pic, haha. The CM didn't say if they were going to come back out. I didn't even think to ask!
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)

Loving the report - never too late for one!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

I was lucky enough to meet them At downtown Disney again had no idea that they were there and in such a random location too they were outside the cinemas near planet Hollywood . So strange. the que was just huge!!!! Hopefully when you go back you can meet them this time!!! I feel your pain with having to wait for you vacation to come around,mine is 488 days away and it's killing me, but I'm sure it will com round quick just like I hope mine does :-) loved you report, I'm hoping to stay in animal kingdom lodge one day but saving that for when I have my own little prince or princess to take with me and my dh

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I didn't get a picture of them. They were with other people so I thought that might be weird if I snapped a pic, haha. The CM didn't say if they were going to come back out. I didn't even think to ask!
    Oops I do it all the time hehe. Maybe I should stop? That's weird that the cast member did not give you extra info after telling no...they usually do.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post
    Oops I do it all the time hehe. Maybe I should stop? That's weird that the cast member did not give you extra info after telling no...they usually do.
    It is odd, now that you mention it. Normally it's more like "they'll be back at x and y"...

Hadn't thought about that.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post
    Oops I do it all the time hehe. Maybe I should stop? .
    I think it's ok as long as you don't post the photo on the internet showing the other people without their permission.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Currently writing the next installment, but wanted to share some pics from everything thus far:

This is the Raglan Risotto. Very tasty!

My husband got this, I belive it is the Bangers & Booz.

For dessert, we got the highly recommended Bread & Butter Pudding. I found it was a little undercooked, very doughy. I think 'Ohana's is much better!

At Akershus:

And my son, who doesn't like his picture taken anymore, haha.

And then at Blizzard Beach! Sorry for the poor quality...picture of a picture. I love the Magic Shot they did though! And my son's reaction after going on Summit Plummet.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot the picture of the dancers at Raglan Road...

On our third day, we ventured over to Hollywood Studios. I was excited for today because we had purchased the Frozen Summer Fun package and couldn’t wait to see how that was going to all play out!

Our FP+ this time were for Star Tours, Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster and Indiana Jones. So, up first we did Star Tours. We got the one with the Rebel Spy on board and guess what…my son was it!!! It was totally cool! But he was completely embarrassed to see his picture up on the screen, haha. I don’t think he knows how lucky he was to be picked! Not that it’s a huge deal, but definitely worth bragging rights, I think. He hates when I bring it up to this day, lol. Maybe when he is older he will appreciate it more…

After that, we had to go over to pick up everything for the Frozen Summer Fun package. We got our lanyards and picked our time for the sing-a-long. Afterward, it was time for the Anna & Elsa processional, so we entered into the special viewing area and sat down. It was extremely hot by this point already, so we took full advantage of the “free” ice cream and drinks. It was a cute show, but honestly not all that big of a deal.

We meandered around, visiting a couple of attractions and then Pizza Planet for our usual lunch (mmm, that Cappuccino cupcake!!). After that, it was time for Indiana Jones! It had been a while since we’ve done this, and the first time for the kids, so it was exciting. That said, this is one thing I would NOT burn a FP on. Lesson learned.

Next up it was time for the Frozen Sing-a-long. This is one thing I should have researched beforehand as far as location goes. I thought I knew where it was, but when it came time, I was all mixed up. We ran all over the park asking CM’s and trying to find the right place (in 95 degree heat mind you). Finally, we found where it was and sat down in our comfy, air-conditioned, up front seats. Ahhh! This show is very cute and I would do it again. The Royal Historians were hysterical! I don’t know that I would use a FP for it, but it was included in our package with premium seating, so a nice little bonus.

After this we went on Tower of Terror. We didn’t have a FP, so we did standby. When we were on it and the doors opened up to the outside, it was a total monsoon out there! When we got off, it was still storming, so we decided to find a place for dinner and wait it out. We came upon the ABC Commissary and decided on that. It was my first time eating there. Standard fare, but decent.

Afterward, we walked around for a little bit just killing time until it was time for the Frozen dessert party. The storm was over, and the sky was amazing! I got an awesome shot of the Sorcerer’s hat, which I am glad for now since it is no longer there!

Since it had been stormy, the dessert party was moved indoors. This actually worked out perfectly because we were out of the heat and humidity, but then got moved back outside in time for the Frozen fireworks, which by the way, were amazing!!! If you are a fan of the film, the fireworks are very moving. Wonderfully done! The dessert party and premium fireworks viewing were probably the best part of the premium package. I don’t know that I would spend the money on this again, but definitely glad we did it!

This was the end of the night. We exited the park with “snow” falling all around us. Perfect end to a great day!

Last edited by [email protected]; 05-26-2015 at 07:48 PM.

The snow effects are pretty cool!
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Great trip report [email protected] Love the pictures!
    “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

Re: [email protected]rt's Trip Report x2!!!

Sorry for the delay! Hope to have another installment soon. Thanks for reading!

Saturday 8/23/14

It was now the halfway point through our trip. Going by so fast! Today was an “off” day, so we decided to head over to Typhoon Lagoon. It had been an even longer time since I had been here (not since 2002, I think?), so I was looking forward to seeing it again. After cruising around the lazy river a few times, we headed over to the wave pool. I had always liked Blizzard Beach just a tad bit more, but the wave pool here can’t be beat! We spent a lot of time there.

After that, we went over to the Crush ‘n’ Gusher slides. We took a couple of turns on those and then noticed a storm was starting to move in. My son wanted to check out Shark Reef, so we headed over that way, but it was right about then that it started to thunder. They made the announcement that everyone had to get out of the water, so we went back to our chairs to get our things.

Just then the storm hit with full force, and it was one of the nastiest storms I’ve ever seen! Intense thunder and lightning directly overhead! Surrounded by all those trees and water, it was a little unnerving. It was complete pandemonium with people running everywhere. We figured we would head out so started towards the exit, when all of the sudden I realized my son had gotten separated somehow and wasn’t with us anymore! It was very chaotic with the mass exodus going on, so I told my husband to keep going toward the exit in case that’s where he went, while I stayed back with my daughter under the awning of one of those little hut stores to keep an eye on all the people going by to see if I could spot him.

Deep down I knew he was a smart kid and would be ok wherever he was, so I wasn’t completely panicked, but I was still pretty worried to say the least! It was such a nasty storm and he was out there somewhere by himself. The storm started to let up a little, and about 10-15 minutes later I spotted my husband coming back with my son. He found him! Whew, I don't think I'd ever been so relieved!

Here he had made it all the way out to the bus stop. He said once he realized he wasn’t with us anymore, he figured he would just head that way since that’s where everyone else was going. See, I told you he was a smart kid! Although I did tell him that we would never leave without him, so if that should ever happen again, don’t leave the park! I don’t know if he would have gotten on the bus without us, but I sure am glad my husband found him before that point. That is probably about the craziest thing that has ever happened on one of our trips. Definitely one to remember!

By now the storm had passed and everyone had settled down, so we all went out to the bus stop. Together this time! We had to take a bus back to Epcot before we could get on another bus to Saratoga Springs. Not the most convenient thing, but after 2pm that’s what you have to do. So there we were all soaking wet and still in our bathing suits with towels wrapped around us, on the bus with everyone that had just left Epcot. It must have looked pretty strange, haha. I was just glad to be going back to our room! But then there was the long ride back and getting through all of the other five bus stops first…ugh. Oh well, it was all good.

After getting freshened up, we decided to head over to Downtown Disney for the evening. The crowds were insane this night! I don’t remember ever seeing it that busy. Although, I had to wonder if all the construction walls that were up just made it feel more congested. It felt like we were a herd of cattle.

We were trying to decide where to eat but didn’t have any reservations anywhere. We tried to get into T Rex and Rainforest Café, but both had crazy wait times. We were really hungry, so I figured we would just go somewhere quick service. We took one more chance at Splitsville, and got right in! Yay! This place is really good. It was our second time here. I just really like the atmosphere and the food has been excellent both times. If you ever need a quick go-to, or even if you don’t, give this place a try!

Afterward, we walked around a little longer. We got to see a guy tying down the Characters in Flight balloon (I guess that was what he was doing??). That was pretty cool. Must be an interesting job! We made our way back to the Marketplace area and then headed back to our room, which luckily was only about 5 minutes away. What a day!

Only a few pics from today:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast