Animal Kingdom Lodge Jiko's Coconut Curry Shrimp

Jiko's Coconut Curry Shrimp

This Recipe involves 3 smaller recipes. Organized below.

After two weeks of searching and looking at different "versions" of this dish, as served at Jiko's...I think I've finally put together a decent copycat recipe for the entire dish.

So, we'll start with...

Sag Dhal
    Sag Dhal is normally associated with India, and is a popular lentil based sauce, generally served with Naan or some other type of bread for dipping. I've actually had it at a restaurant before, and made it at home before. I like it as an alternative to hummus (it is not as thick as hummus though...more like a mix between hummus consistency and chimichurri sauce consistency).

One note...this is SPICY!!!

However, it is also popular (I found out through googling) in South Africa, hence why it's included in this recipe from Jiko's I found for the marinade. So, lets get started!

Ingredients
    6 cloves of garlic, peeled
    2 fresh chili peppers (I like serrano, but thai would be more authentic, and habanero would work, too...)
    3 tablespoons of Olive Oil
    2 inches of fresh ginger root
    1 tsp Cumin Seed (this can be tricky to find, you may need to go to a farmers market or something...Publix didn't carry it and I had to go to Sprouts (like a Trader Joes)
    12 cardamom pods (also hard to find, though they can be ordered...I didn't, and just used 3 tsp of ground cardamom)
    1.5 tsp of curry powder
    1 lb of lentils
    8 cups of water
    2/3 cup water
    6-8 oz baby spinach (about 1 bag from a super market)
    1/2 bunch of cilantro leaves
    Plain yogurt (for when serving by itself with Naan or some other bread)

Step 1) Cook the lentils (add to 8 cups of water over medium high heat to a boil, then to medium low heat and simmer covered for 20 mins or so, stirring occasionally. Strain and set aside.

Step 2) Coarsely chop the garlic, ginger root and peppers and add to a blender (or use a stick blender). Blend into a paste. When done, scoop out into a small bowl and set aside.

Step 3) Heat the olive oil in a large pan with a high lip or a sauce pot over medium heat (I used the same pot I cooked the lentils in). Add the paste you just made, the cumin seeds, cardamom and curry powder. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes, stirring often (you don't want the paste to burn, but it will brown a bit, and that's fine).

Step 4) Add the 2/3 cup fresh water and stir.

Then add the lentils, cilantro and spinach to the pot. Bring to a boil and simmer until the spinach wilts.

Step 6) Add everything to a food processor with a chopping blade and blend for about 2 minutes. Stop, and release any steam. Season to taste to salt and black pepper (about 3 tsp of salt, and about 2 tsp of pepper...but it's really to taste). Blend for another 2 minutes or so.

Step 7) Set aside 1 cup for the shrimp marinade (next recipe). The rest can be spooned into small bowls. Blend in a dollop of plain yogurt, and serve with toasted garlic Naan bread (350 degree oven for about 7 minutes) for dipping. Great appetizer, or a snack. Yum!

Continuing...as a side note, jeez, these Jiko's dishes take a LOT of side work!

Curry Buttermilk Marinade for Grilled Shrimp

Ingredients
    2 cups buttermilk
    1 cup plain yogurt
    3 tsp kosher salt
    1 tsp cumin seed
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1 tsp ground tumeric
    2 tsp curry powder
    1/4 cup lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
    1 large clove of minced garlic
    1 tsp pickled ginger
    1 cup sagh dhal (see previous recipe, and it can be made days in advance and refrigerated)
    1 - 2 lbs of large shrimp (16/20 or 13/15 are the easiest to find, but U-12 is ideal...I couldn't find U-12. White or brown, shell on uncooked)

Step 1) Add the buttermilk, yogurt, salt, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, curry powder, and sagh dhal (cooled to room temp or refrigerated, but NOT HOT still) to a large bowl.

Step 2) In a small pan over medium to medium high heat, toast the cumin seeds tossing every 15 seconds or so in the pan, for about 1-2 minutes. Add to the bowl.

They will be medium to dark brown when done, and smell strongly of cumin (mmmm)

Step 3) Mince the garlic and ginger, add to the bowl.

Step 4) Squeeze the lemon juice, and add to the bowl.

Step 4) Mix thoroughly.

Step 5) Prep the shrimp. You want to deshell them and butterfly them. Take off the tail shells.

I could type it all out, but this video is fine. (I originally linked another one, but I like this guy's style)

[MEDIA=youtube]K_G-oFywsLk[/MEDIA]

Though, this is not how I do it. Rather, I don't bother pinching off the legs. I "crack" the tail piece on the bottom with my thumbs, then run my finger, wiggling, along the "back" of the shrimp to separate each section. I also find the "squeezing" thing for the tail mangles the shrimp more often than not...better to crack it...

Most of the time I can get a whole shrimp out, all the way to the tail, without damaging it. For something like a Gumbo or Etoufee, you don't need to be so careful...but for this dish, the Shrimp need to shine, therefore more care is taken when deshelling.

Step 6) Add the shrimp and coat well. Allow to marinate for at least 1 hour (2 - 3 preferred) in the fridge.

(while marinating, proceed with the next recipe)

Ok, next...in most reviews of this dish, I read they served it with a pineapple infused rice.

Since I've not eaten it, I really can't say what is involved, so I had to mash together something I thought would fit, and matched the pictures well...so, if this is a bit off...well, it is still a good rice dish to go with seafood or chicken! In any case, I thought lime would also go well with the finished curry sauce, but that's a future step!

As a note, the next few steps will need to be done at the same time. Two cooks help with this, or make sure you make a plan to time it out...otherwise all the parts won't come out warm and done at the same time...

Anyhow...

Lime and Pineapple Infused Rice
    2 cups basmati (I used an american basmati called Texmati...yeah, grown in TX, but any long grain basmati will work)
    1 cup pineapple juice
    2 cups water
    1/2 cup crushed pineapple (about 1/2 a small can)
    2 Tbls unsalted butter
    Zest from a small lime
    1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro
    1/2 cup chopped scallions
    Juice from one small lime

Step 1) Add the rice, pineapple juice, water, crushed pineapple, butter, lime zest and salt to a medium saucepan.

Step 2) Bring to a boil over high heat.

Step 3) Immediately reduce the heat to medium low, and cover. Cook for 20 - 25 minutes, until all the liquid is absorbed.

Step 4) Mince the cilantro, chop the scallions, squeeze the lime.

Step 8) Uncover and add the cilantro, scallions and lime juice, then fluff with a fork.

Set aside.

Stop...Curry Time!

Coconut Curry Sauce
    1 small spanish Onion
    4 cloves of Garlic
    1 Tbls Curry Powder
    1 can of Coconut Milk (13 oz)
    2 Tbls Honey
    1/4 tsp kosher salt (or to taste)
    Juice from 1 Lime
    2 tsp Sriracha
    10 - 12 basil leaves

Step 1) Chop the basil, onion and garlic. Best to do the Basil as a chiffonade, then chop that.

Step 2) Add the onion and garlic to a large skillet over medium to medium high heat and cook, stirring often, for about 2 minutes.

Step 3) Add the curry powder and stir, cooking for another few minutes.

Step 4) Reduce the heat and add the coconut milk. Stir and mix well.

Step 5) Add the honey, sriracha, salt and lime juice. Mix well.

Step 6) Allow the sauce to start to bubble gently. Let it reduce for about 3 minutes. Then taste and season with more sriracha, salt and lime juice (or honey for a sweeter sauce).

Step 7) Stir in the basil and let it wilt.

Step 8) Pour into a blender and puree, or use a stick blender.

Step 9) Finished sauce.

Pour into a small saucepan and set on a back burner on low until the shrimp is done grilling.

(for a quicker version of the dish, you can saute the shrimp in a few Tbls of butter and toss them into the curry and serve on plain basmati or jasmine rice...probably would turn out just as good!)

Ok, two steps forward! Every picture of this dish included some non-curry vegetables. So, here's my take on those.

Sauteed Vegetables
    1 tbls unsalted butter
    2 tbls Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    3 tsp curry seasoning
    1 tsp kosher salt
    1/4 cup english peas (thawed frozen sweet peas will work as well)
    2 chopped roma tomatoes
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped white onion

Step 1) In a skillet over medium heat, melt the butter.

Step 2) Whisk the olive oil, curry seasoning and salt together.

Step 3) Add to the skillet and allow it to heat. Add the peas (thawed), and let them simmer, stirring often, for about 2 minutes, or until one of them "pops".

Step 4) Add the tomatoes and onion, and cook on medium until well browned.

Step 5) Set on a plate, keeping as much oil out of it as you can using a slotted spoon, to the side.

Grilled Curry Shrimp

Ingredients
    Marinated Curry Shrimp (see previous recipe)
    Grill or Grill Pan on Stove (better with Grill)

Step 1) Heat the grill to about 350 degrees. Add the shrimp.

Step 2) The sauce will bubble and evaporate, and you should be able to see the shrimp before flipping. Cook for about 2 minutes, then flip.

Step 3) Set aside on a plate.

(note, this would turn out better with larger shrimp and a grill, but I don't have either, so...the taste, I suspect, is close!)

Final dish!

Jiko's Swahili Curry Shrimp

Ingredients
    8 shrimp (see previous recipe)
    1/2 cup of lime-pineapple rice (see previous recipe)
    2 tablespoons of various sauteed veggies (see previous recipe)
    6 tablespoons of curry sauce (see previous recipe)
    1/4 cup of watercress (they serve microgreens, but I couldn't find any...so...)

Step 1) Add the Curry Sauce to the base.

Step 2) Add the rice.

Step 3) Arrange the vegetables in the middle of the rice.

Step 4) Arrange the shrimp along the edge, with the flared end out, and top with watercress.

Step 5) Done! DEVOUR!

Not the best copycat...but good enough. I missed on plating, but I suspect the final dish tastes quite similar.

It's a great mix of sweet, savoury and spicy...which is most Jiko cooking.
    Last edited by englanddg; 05-24-2015 at 03:09 PM.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA