Spending Money??

Spending Money??

My husband and I are going to WDW in at the end of August. We will be there for 5 days. We will be there for my birthday, but we are going to celebrate our Honeymoon. We ARE on a budget (we got married after he graduated high school. He works fast food, I graduated in 2013 so I have had a bit longer to get a good office job). We made our final payment to Disney on Wednesday.

We are staying in the Value Music Resort for 4 nights. We will be visiting the parks all 5 days we are there. We do not have Park Hoppers nor are we doing the Water Parks. We purchased the DDP so our lunch and dinners ,as well as one snack a day, are taken care of. Also plan to bring a couple extra snacks/day from home (granola bars, gummies, whatever). We have already bought plane tickets. Below is a list of the extra money we plan to bring. Does this seem like enough?

$100 for Breakfast in the hotel ($20/day, $10 each)
    $75 for dinner tips ($15 tip/meal. Going to O'hana, Sci-Fi Dine In, BOG (for lunch, QS), Coral Reef on my birthday, Rainforest Café (for lunch) )
    $20 MouseKeeping Tips ($5/day)
    $10 Magical Express People for holding our bags (we will each have one duffel bag, $5 for arrival $5 for departure)
    $500 spending money ($250 each= $50/day). Husband has been 4 or 5 times and never wants souvenirs. I have only been twice and barely remember either trip, so I may be more inclined to buy something. However, I do not like knick knacks that collect dust (snow globes, figurines, etc), nor do I drink coffee or tea so no mugs for me!
    $200 to bring back a small souvenir for a list of 10 friends and family members ($20 each)
    $50 Mickey and Minnie Bride and Groom ears (the only souvenir that my husband wants )
    Total: $955

Also, we plan to put $200 of our spending $$ on a Disney Gift Card (money can be reloaded on a different card if stolen PLUS makes for an adorable souvenir when we get back) and keep $50 cash for anything (snack, balloon, whatever) we might want off a cart that doesn't accept GCs.

Does this sound ok? Any suggestions or things we might have forgotten?

First off, congrats and best wishes to you both! I hope you both have the most magical time!
    As far as money, it seems you have it all planned out and more than sufficient funds. Only thing I'm going to say ( and I say it in my humble opinion) There is no need to tip mouse keeping. I don't know how this trend started but only cruise ships are mandatory.
    Last edited by Freshee61; 06-12-2015 at 11:02 AM.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

Freshee61: thank you! Great to get some feedback since it's our first vacation and I've never had to plan one before!!! Thanks for your advice (: have a great day!

Looks solid! Enjoy your trip!
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

englanddg: thank you!

Re: Spending Money??

Welcome to TD! It sounds like you have a pretty good budget in place there. One thing we did when we had the dining plan was use the snack credits for breakfast. We would get a muffin, yogurt or something along those lines. Then all 3 meals were covered. Also, we would bring things like pop tarts or cereal bars and just eat in the room. We aren't big on eating breakfast though, so that just depends on what you like. But if that's something that would work for you, it could save you some money if all you need to buy is a snack here and there then.

Also, you don't really need to tip Magical Express. Only if you are picking them up at the airport and they actually handle them on the bus, then I might tip, but only a dollar or two per bag. If you meant you are going to be leaving them with Bell Services, then I would tip them the same, $1-$2 per bag.

Other than that, it sounds like a great plan! Congratulations and have a magical trip!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Welcome to TD! It sounds like you have a pretty good budget in place there. One thing we did when we had the dining plan was use the snack credits for breakfast. We would get a muffin, yogurt or something along those lines. Then all 3 meals were covered. Also, we would bring things like pop tarts or cereal bars and just eat in the room. We aren't big on eating breakfast though, so that just depends on what you like. But if that's something that would work for you, it could save you some money if all you need to buy is a snack here and there then. Also, you don't really need to tip Magical Express. Only if you are picking them up at the airport and they actually handle them on the bus, then I might tip, but only a dollar or two per bag. If you meant you are going to be leaving them with Bell Services, then I would tip them the same, $1-$2 per bag. Other than that, it sounds like a great plan! Congratulations and have a magical trip!
    Yeah, this. $1-$2 per bag they HANDLE is customary. Same for resort bellhops.

As far as the mousekeeping tips, Ive tipped and not tipped and noticed no difference in service. So, it is up to you. $5 a day is a bit steep. People who tip tend to aim for $2 a day, from what Ive seen in tipping discussion threads. But, again, its whatever you feel comfortable with.

If you do tip, put it out in a clearly marked envelope with the daily amount, not a total amount on the first or last day. You mousekeeper could be different each day, so this makes sure the right person who cleaned your room that day gets the tip.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Yes I meant whoever we will be leaving our bags with on our first and last days. I've never flown so not sure what the people who keep the bags are called (;

Quote Originally Posted by AmberTerry View Post
    Yes I meant whoever we will be leaving our bags with on our first and last days. I've never flown so not sure what the people who keep the bags are called (;
    You will get a packet from Disney that has luggage tags for your Magical Express. If you use these tags, your checked baggage from the airport will be sent to your hotel automatically, and "show up" in your room. You likely wont even come into contact with the people handling those bags.

Be aware, this process can take a few hours, so don't check anything that you may want within the first few hours of your stay (like, cameras, ponchos, stuff like that). Rather, put that is your carryon.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

englanddg: thanks so much for the heads up!! Great that it's so easy (:

Thank you everyone for all the advice and comments!

Quote Originally Posted by AmberTerry View Post
    englanddg: thanks so much for the heads up!! Great that it's so easy (: Thank you everyone for all the advice and comments!
    One other note. For your trip back to the airport, you can check your bag at the hotel your day of departure with your airline, so you don't need to lug it back to the airport. Same thing. They'll check your bag, deliver it to the airport for you, and when your flight lands back home, you will be able to pick it up at the baggage carousel just like if you checked it at the airport.

Not all airlines participate in this progam, but the bigger ones do. Jetblue and Delta I know do.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Great! Thanks!!

You have a pretty solid plan there. Good job as it can get overwhelming.
    If you want you can check their online store you can possibly get your bride and groom ears cheaper, or there's always eBay too if you wanna save a bit
    I also agree with the tipping seems a little high for magical express and mouse keeping, but that's all your preference.
    You seem to have givin yourself extra as far as the per day if your not huge souvenir buyers so good job
    Looks like you'll be fine

Big congrats and y'all have a blast

Torinshadow: thanks so much for the input! The tips may be somewhat high... I used to be a waitress so I try to also throw that in when I'm considering what to tip(:

So glad for all the positive responses! I was worried I maybe hadn't planned enough in some areas!