Universal in March

Universal in March

We will be taking a family trip to WDW next year and are planning on spending one day at Universal. We will have 2-park tickets, as our main objective is Harty Potter. I am wondering how busy/crowded we can expect Universal to be during spring break. I have never been there, but I have done WDW in mid July and Thanksgiving week. Can anyone compare for me?

Based off the crowd results from 2015...the first week of March will be slow until the weekend. The second week of March will be moderate crowds (30 - 60 minute waits) until the weekend, which will be busy (60+ minute waits). The third week of March will be moderate until Friday, and that weekend will be extremely busy, with the parks nearing capacity. The fourth week will be busy all week. And the week after (which is the local Spring Break week, I believe, and next year will be Easter Week) the parks will be packed the entire week. So, the first three weeks, you are best going Sunday through Thursday. The fourth week, Monday or Tuesday. And the fifth week? Good luck. Spend the extra money to get the Express Passes if you go that week.
    Last edited by englanddg; 06-20-2015 at 10:13 PM.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

We went this year for spring break and universal wasn't too bad. I would definitely get express pass if you can
    And Harry Potter is always busy. We had a 40 min wait

We are trying again the first week in September so I hope it's a slow time then

Thanks! We are off March 12-20. I am not sure about our exact trip dates yet. I'm waiting on flights to come out. I'll probably plan on doing Universal earlier in the week rather than later.

Quote Originally Posted by txmomx2 View Post
    Thanks! We are off March 12-20. I am not sure about our exact trip dates yet. I'm waiting on flights to come out. I'll probably plan on doing Universal earlier in the week rather than later.
    Here's the breakdown for those dates.
    March 12 - Busy (60+ minute waits for major attractions)
    March 13 - Moderate (30 - 60 minute waits for major attractions)
    March 14 - Moderate
    March 15 - Moderate
    March 16 - Moderate
    March 17 - Moderate
    March 18 - Busy
    March 19 - Very Busy (90+ minutes for many major attractions, Express Pass recommended)
    March 20 - Busy

Very Busy would be akin to going to Magic Kingdom during Thanksgiving. As you've done that, that gives you an idea. Busy would be like going during the weekdays in late July (not the madness that is early July).

Moderate, you'll probably be fine. As you are only doing a single day, though, I'd still look into the Express Pass. They are pricey, and they come in a few different flavours (with different benefits and costs), but you will be shocked how much of a time saver they are. You will literally walk onto rides with 45+ minute waits. And you may have a 10 - 20 minute wait for rides that are 60+ minutes. So, the value is that you really get to maximize your time on the park and take in more of the attractions (or reride favorite ones) before heading back to Disney.

Information can be found here: https://www.universalorlando.com/The...ss-Passes.aspx
    Last edited by englanddg; 06-20-2015 at 10:47 PM.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Wow that's good info. Where do you get the date info I would like to look up when we are going

Re: Universal in March

Quote Originally Posted by torinshadow View Post
    Wow that's good info. Where do you get the date info I would like to look up when we are going
    FREE Universal Orlando 12-month crowd calendar with park hours & special events - The Script: TICKETS, PACKAGES, & PLANNING - Articles - Articles - Orlando Informer Community

Though, touringplans.com has better data, this is good for snapshots.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Thanks! This is great information to work with. I'll wait to make the final decision until park hours for WDW come out. I'll be sure to check TouringPlans too.

I love touringplans, both the books and the online site. I always use them when I go to WDW, and they have been great to help me plan my first Universal trip.
    The problem I have getting the express pass for Universal is that they do not cover any ride at Harry Potter. I too am going to go mainly for that part of the park... I'd spend the extra money on it but can't use it on any of the rides. I wish Universal would change their policy with those tickets.
    1983- First trip, MK & EPCOT
    1986- Second Trip, My grandmother got tickled silly by Pluto because she would not smile while he was giving her hugs. It lasted for 15 minutes! Best part of the trip
    2010- Third trip, my girls first trip. Was so magical
    2012- second trip for kiddos, Christmas time Spectacular. First DCL, over New Years Eve.So unbelievable!
    2015- Going again in October for the MiNSSH. Staying at POR.
    2016- June. Staying at POR

Quote Originally Posted by skyelili View Post
    I love touringplans, both the books and the online site. I always use them when I go to WDW, and they have been great to help me plan my first Universal trip. The problem I have getting the express pass for Universal is that they do not cover any ride at Harry Potter. I too am going to go mainly for that part of the park... I'd spend the extra money on it but can't use it on any of the rides. I wish Universal would change their policy with those tickets.
    Dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff both accept Express Pass. But yeah, Gringotts, Hogwarts Express and Forbidden Journey do not.

I'd still say it is worth it as you'll get to speed up the rest of your experiences. But, I can get your reasoning.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Quote Originally Posted by skyelili View Post
    I love touringplans, both the books and the online site. I always use them when I go to WDW, and they have been great to help me plan my first Universal trip. The problem I have getting the express pass for Universal is that they do not cover any ride at Harry Potter. I too am going to go mainly for that part of the park... I'd spend the extra money on it but can't use it on any of the rides. I wish Universal would change their policy with those tickets.
    I was thinking the same thing regarding the Express Pass. At any rate, this will be a trip with my extended family so we'll have to come to a consensus about the pass. Several of them have never done an Orlando trip and I'm not sure if they will fully appreciate the time value at stake.

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post
    Dragon Challenge and Flight of the Hippogriff both accept Express Pass. But yeah, Gringotts, Hogwarts Express and Forbidden Journey do not.

I'd still say it is worth it as you'll get to speed up the rest of your experiences. But, I can get your reasoning.
    Thanks for that info. We still might get it as we have kind of a short day and want to do a few other things. It's just so gosh darn expensive!! But what's an extra couple of hundred when your already paying an arm and a leg, right?
    1986- Second Trip, My grandmother got tickled silly by Pluto because she would not smile while he was giving her hugs. It lasted for 15 minutes! Best part of the trip
    2012- second trip for kiddos, Christmas time Spectacular. First DCL, over New Years Eve.So unbelievable!

We have decided that Sunday, March 13th will be our US/IOA day. What is the most cost effective and time efficient way to get from CBR to Universal and back again? There will be 12 of us making the trek.

Anyone????

Quote Originally Posted by txmomx2 View Post
    We have decided that Sunday, March 13th will be our US/IOA day. What is the most cost effective and time efficient way to get from CBR to Universal and back again? There will be 12 of us making the trek.
    For my group of 11 we decided to rent a van from the Alamo, it was gonna be much cheaper for us.