Staying at Different hotels

Staying at Different hotels

Yes I'm going in October but I'm already planning a trip for next June (Big 40th Birthday and want to spend it at the Happiest Place on Earth). I am wanting to spend some of our time at a moderate and then treat myself to a Deluxe Resort. What is the best way, in all of your opinions, to do that? Should I go through a travel agent, call WDW or just book twice on the WebSite... I hate the idea of having to put down two deposits on the website, but if that's the easiest so be it.
    Thanks!
    1983- First trip, MK & EPCOT
    1986- Second Trip, My grandmother got tickled silly by Pluto because she would not smile while he was giving her hugs. It lasted for 15 minutes! Best part of the trip
    2010- Third trip, my girls first trip. Was so magical
    2012- second trip for kiddos, Christmas time Spectacular. First DCL, over New Years Eve.So unbelievable!
    2015- Going again in October for the MiNSSH. Staying at POR.
    2016- June. Staying at POR

Quote Originally Posted by skyelili View Post
    Yes I'm going in October but I'm already planning a trip for next June (Big 40th Birthday and want to spend it at the Happiest Place on Earth). I am wanting to spend some of our time at a moderate and then treat myself to a Deluxe Resort. What is the best way, in all of your opinions, to do that? Should I go through a travel agent, call WDW or just book twice on the WebSite... I hate the idea of having to put down two deposits on the website, but if that's the easiest so be it. Thanks!
    That sounds awesome! How long are you staying for? I've split my stay between two hotels before and it has it's cons and pros. We did moderate and than a deluxe hotel. I booked it through the Disney website, I've been to Disney numerous times and have never used a travel agent. I can only see me using a travel agent if I'm going on a cruise or out of state. It's also a great thing to see if there's any special offers when you go. It might be better if you just plan your trip staying at a deluxe and this way spending your whole trip like a king/queen.

Pros - you get to enjoy two different hotels during your one trip. Might make your trip feel longer but on the other hand it might make it feel shorter.

Cons - you have to pack up all your stuff from your first hotel to take it over to the next hotel, could be tricky if you don't have a car. You will be spending time moving when you can be spending that time in the parks or relaxing at the pool.
    Tori

Re: Staying at Different hotels

Quote Originally Posted by Tori1017 View Post
    That sounds awesome! How long are you staying for? I've split my stay between two hotels before and it has it's cons and pros. We did moderate and than a deluxe hotel. I booked it through the Disney website, I've been to Disney numerous times and have never used a travel agent. I can only see me using a travel agent if I'm going on a cruise or out of state. It's also a great thing to see if there's any special offers when you go. It might be better if you just plan your trip staying at a deluxe and this way spending your whole trip like a king/queen.

Pros - you get to enjoy two different hotels during your one trip. Might make your trip feel longer but on the other hand it might make it feel shorter.

Cons - you have to pack up all your stuff from your first hotel to take it over to the next hotel, could be tricky if you don't have a car. You will be spending time moving when you can be spending that time in the parks or relaxing at the pool.
    Thanks, I've never used a travel agent either, always just booked by myself (I'm a control freak that way!)
    Your Cons are right on... the idea of repacking and unpacking again just annoys me.... but the though of getting to one of the Deluxe is so very appealing!
    1986- Second Trip, My grandmother got tickled silly by Pluto because she would not smile while he was giving her hugs. It lasted for 15 minutes! Best part of the trip
    2012- second trip for kiddos, Christmas time Spectacular. First DCL, over New Years Eve.So unbelievable!

Yes I'm going in October but I'm already planning a trip for next June (Big 40th Birthday and want to spend it at the Happiest Place on Earth). I am wanting to spend some of our time at a moderate and then treat myself to a Deluxe Resort. What is the best way, in all of your opinions, to do that? Should I go through a travel agent, call WDW or just book twice on the WebSite... I hate the idea of having to put down two deposits on the website, but if that's the easiest so be it.
    Thanks!
    Even if you called you'd have to place two deposits, FYI. In MDE they will be treated as two separate trips any way you book it. You'll get an extra set of Magic Bands, separate Mickey Mail, the whole nine yards.

When you go to transfer, it's actually pretty easy. After you check out of your first hotel that morning, just take your bags to Bell Services and inform them that you are transferring to another resort. They'll take some information from you, and will move your bags to the new resort. This process can take a few hours, but what it allows you to do is go enjoy a day at the parks or something while your bags make their way to your new resort where you will be able to collect them from Bell Services there.

One note, the Disney Park busses will not allow you to board with luggage, so either use Bell Services or take a taxi.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post
    Even if you called you'd have to place two deposits, FYI. In MDE they will be treated as two separate trips any way you book it. You'll get an extra set of Magic Bands, separate Mickey Mail, the whole nine yards.

When you go to transfer, it's actually pretty easy. After you check out of your first hotel that morning, just take your bags to Bell Services and inform them that you are transferring to another resort. They'll take some information from you, and will move your bags to the new resort. This process can take a few hours, but what it allows you to do is go enjoy a day at the parks or something while your bags make their way to your new resort where you will be able to collect them from Bell Services there.

One note, the Disney Park busses will not allow you to board with luggage, so either use Bell Services or take a taxi.
    Thanks Englanddg! I didn't know about the bell service... or about the buses not allowing luggage.
    I think I am going to go back to POR and then either Animal Kingdom or Wilderness lodge.
    think I deserve to treat myself, but I am gonna wait to book until this upcoming trip to see if they offer any "bounce back" promotion, which I heard sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. We will wait to see
    Last edited by skyelili; 06-30-2015 at 02:38 AM.

Thanks Englanddg! I didn't know about the bell service... or about the buses not allowing luggage.
    I think I am going to go back to POR and then either Animal Kingdom or Wilderness lodge.
    think I deserve to treat myself, but I am gonna wait to book until this upcoming trip to see if they offer any "bounce back" promotion, which I heard sometimes they do and sometimes they don't. We will wait to see
    Bounce Backs are decent. You'll most likely find one in your welcome packet (on the table in your room) as a flyer. I don't think I've ever seen one NOT offered. You do, however, have to make your new reservation and pay the deposit before midnight of your checkout date to get the offer.

I've seen two types, one for Free Dining and the other for a room discount. Just a note, I believe if you book the room only discount, you'll have to pay more than the $200 standard down payment (I think it's 1 night's stay as the deposit, but don't quote me on that).

I've never done the Bounce Backs for WDW for two reasons:

1) The dates are limited. I don't necessarily mind that, but the calendars tend to target dates when, due to my Kid's school schedules, I choose not to go. In addition, it limits your reservation to those dates (or you lose your discount offer). Meaning, you can adjust your dates to another Bounce Back window date, but you can't arrange them to any date of choice or you'll lose the offer. I don't like it being that limited, not for the savings I get.

2) I've generally been able to find better discount or package offers through standard Disney offerings that are in line with what the Bounce Back offers and/or work better with my plans / schedule.

That said, DCL "Bounce Backs" (which, DCL doesn't use that term, and Cruisers call it "booking a placeholder") are VERY much worth the discounts, as DCL doesn't have the same frequency of discount and other packages that WDW does. I regret not booking one on my last cruise, as that would have saved me 10 - 20%. It something I have already budgeted for this coming cruise in August. Basically, I'll pick a cheaper cruise (so I have a lower down payment due the day of) like a 3 day on the Dream with an inner stateroom, and then "move" the date to a different cruise later and pay the difference (the discount will stay).
    Last edited by englanddg; 06-30-2015 at 02:57 AM.
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post
    Bounce Backs are decent. You'll most likely find one in your welcome packet (on the table in your room) as a flyer. I don't think I've ever seen one NOT offered. You do, however, have to make your new reservation and pay the deposit before midnight of your checkout date to get the offer.

I've seen two types, one for Free Dining and the other for a room discount. Just a note, I believe if you book the room only discount, you'll have to pay more than the $200 standard down payment (I think it's 1 night's stay as the deposit, but don't quote me on that).

I've never done the Bounce Backs for WDW for two reasons:

1) The dates are limited. I don't necessarily mind that, but the calendars tend to target dates when, due to my Kid's school schedules, I choose not to go. In addition, it limits your reservation to those dates (or you lose your discount offer). Meaning, you can adjust your dates to another Bounce Back window date, but you can't arrange them to any date of choice or you'll lose the offer. I don't like it being that limited, not for the savings I get.

2) I've generally been able to find better discount or package offers through standard Disney offerings that are in line with what the Bounce Back offers and/or work better with my plans / schedule.

That said, DCL "Bounce Backs" (which, DCL doesn't use that term, and Cruisers call it "booking a placeholder") are VERY much worth the discounts, as DCL doesn't have the same frequency of discount and other packages that WDW does. I regret not booking one on my last cruise, as that would have saved me 10 - 20%. It something I have already budgeted for this coming cruise in August. Basically, I'll pick a cheaper cruise (so I have a lower down payment due the day of) like a 3 day on the Dream with an inner stateroom, and then "move" the date to a different cruise later and pay the difference (the discount will stay).
    Thanks as always! You are just so knowledgeable about this stuff!!

Thanks as always! You are just so knowledgeable about this stuff!!
    When you transfer to the 2nd resort you can still use the old magic bands and have the hotel recycle the new ones. You don't have to use the new ones. I've done it several times.

Quote Originally Posted by yankeesusa View Post
    When you transfer to the 2nd resort you can still use the old magic bands and have the hotel recycle the new ones. You don't have to use the new ones. I've done it several times.
    That's good to know!