EMERGENCY! - FE Ideas for 14 Year Old Girls
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EMERGENCY! - FE Ideas for 14 Year Old Girls

Ladies and Moms in particular...though all are welcome to respond...

I need your help.

I have joined an FE group. It's a rather small one (thankfully), so that means my per room budget is a bit more than a 20 stateroom FE group (mine is 11 staterooms...still a LOT of gifts!)

I've mostly got consumables (candies, and the like) and small stuff. A few items for birthday kids, and the like...but, I have one group that is really giving me the uff...

I have 2 14 year old girls in my group.

I have NO idea what to give them.

I thought about one mid level gift (around $10 - $15) each, being some waterproof bluetooth speakers that can pair to their phone...but, my kiddo still being 10 (nearly 11, oh my how the time flies) I really have no idea what a 14 year old girl would even be remotely interested in aside from gift cards and electronics?

I am perfectly fine with giving "nostalgic" gifts (one of the things I'm giving to the kids is Mad Libs, but that's a bit below 14, I think, so these are in a group of their own).

Any ideas? Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    B.C. (Before Child) '82, '87 - '95, 2004
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR
    2012 - 3 @ Uni Royal Pacific, 12 @ Pop
    2013 - 3 @ DLR | Contemporary, DCL Fantasy, POFQ
    2015 - 2 in DC, 3 @ Uni Portofino, 3 @ AKL, DCL Fantasy, 4 @ AoA

Maybe a cute water bag from Target, or like a summer beach type or purse she can use for the days on the ship or for the nights at dinner. I see the new trend are these fake tattoos that come in silver and gold, they might think those are cool to put on them before hitting the pool or beach. (Teen girls want to impress the boys!) lol so they won't be thinking if it's going to come off or not. I remember when I went on my first cruise I was in 10th grade and they had air brush tattoos, I got 3 and thought I looked so cool. You could also get sun glasses, a cool fedora, headbands (colorful beach type ones). If you have a Target by you they always have those 1$-3$ bins in the front that sometimes have really cool unique things. You could get a few things and not spend more then 15$! Girls at 14 want to look cute, stylish, and act like they are grown ups lol (some of them)! You could also get some cute lip glosses, like in a set if it's not too expensive. I would say flip flops they could use on the ship if you only knew there sizes. I would say your best bet would be going to stores like Target or maybe even Walmart. Ask a woman sales rep what they would get for a 14 year old, I'm sure they would be happy to help. You could also go to the stores and see if you see any moms and there daughters that are around the age 12+ and ask what she would want if she was getting a gift. People are most of the time always up to help somebody! On Monday me and my mom were at publix, a man was on the phone with his wife or girlfriend and he was saying "I don't know where the bay leaves are." He looked very confused and lost. My mom told him exactly where to go to find them and he was very appreciative. Good luck finding a gift! I'm sure you'll get the perfect thing!
    Tori

You should also try going to Claire's! Which is a teenage girl store with a lot of cute items to choose from ranging from cell phone cases, jewelry, makeup, hair pieces, sunglasses, bags. You could also go to their website, it's easy to navigate and they are always having sales.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1713207328.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	9260   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-284616716.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	146.8 KB 
ID:	9261   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2678045045.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	219.4 KB 
ID:	9262   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3731882921.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	179.0 KB 
ID:	9264  
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tori

Quote Originally Posted by Tori1017 View Post
    You should also try going to Claire's! Which is a teenage girl store with a lot of cute items to choose from ranging from cell phone cases, jewelry, makeup, hair pieces, sunglasses, bags. You could also go to their website, it's easy to navigate and they are always having sales.
    The link to the Claire's website.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3795840666.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	9265  
    Tori

Re: EMERGENCY! - FE Ideas for 14 Year Old Girls

Thanks Tori!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, as a stranger male over 30, I don't want to get her or them anything clothing wise. It just feels odd and wrong. Even if well intentioned.

So, electronics? Maybe i'd do best with a gift card and be done with it?
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Cheap nail polish is my daughter is 14. also they have stickers you can put on your nails do you have a dollar tree where you live there is also a good place to look for stuff we just buy the dollar nail polish at walmart and the nail sheets and cut them and divide them up for the girls.. also they like lip gloss shiney but no color to it also cheap...
    Life is not measured by the breaths we take, But by the moments that take our breaths away!

If you can dream it, You can do it!

Quote Originally Posted by englanddg View Post
    Thanks Tori! - - - Updated - - - Ok, as a stranger male over 30, I don't want to get her or them anything clothing wise. It just feels odd and wrong. Even if well intentioned. So, electronics? Maybe i'd do best with a gift card and be done with it?
    I see what you mean but Claire's is the easiest place to go. Even tomboys can find cool stuff in there.
    I wouldn't be too worried about getting thingamabobs/ accessories for girls there.
    But if you want to stick to cheap girl electronics ebay is the way to go I would think.
    And with teenagers you can't go wrong with Starbucks coffee gift cards.
    By the way what does FE stand for.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

I agree that being a stranger male and giving things like makeup or clothing would be weird. Best bet probably a gift card. If you're looking at $10 - $15, like someone else said you can't really go wrong with Starbucks and $10 - $15 would buy 2 - 3 cups coffee. With it coming from a grown man they don't know, I'd be leery of stuff like makeup or clothes. I might even stay away from gift cards to places girls go. If it were me (though I'm not 20, not 14 lol) and a man (even one I knew!) gave me any of those items id be very uncomfortable. So yes I think you hit the nail on the head with a giftcard or something like that
    Last edited by Curious Alice; 07-22-2015 at 06:48 PM.

Gift card is the way to go I think.... My kids (even though they are not 14) always love GC to stacks, amazon, target.... then they can shop for themselves!
    1983- First trip, MK & EPCOT
    1986- Second Trip, My grandmother got tickled silly by Pluto because she would not smile while he was giving her hugs. It lasted for 15 minutes! Best part of the trip
    2010- Third trip, my girls first trip. Was so magical
    2012- second trip for kiddos, Christmas time Spectacular. First DCL, over New Years Eve.So unbelievable!
    2015- Going again in October for the MiNSSH. Staying at POR.
    2016- June. Staying at POR

Quote Originally Posted by Freshee61 View Post
    I see what you mean but Claire's is the easiest place to go. Even tomboys can find cool stuff in there.
    I wouldn't be too worried about getting thingamabobs/ accessories for girls there.
    But if you want to stick to cheap girl electronics ebay is the way to go I would think.
    And with teenagers you can't go wrong with Starbucks coffee gift cards.
    By the way what does FE stand for.
    FE stands for Fish Extenders. They are little "hooks" outside your DCL stateroom door. Many people form groups and hang pockets from them and then trade gifts. Sortof like a secret santa.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

What about a gift card they can use on the actual ship. I know people are saying Starbucks but personally don't think young teenagers should have coffee and such till at least college maybe that is just me...

Nail Polish is a good one - not sure if you have time when picking up your daughter but she could always pick out the colors and nail art.

How many people do you buy for in the group - just the two girls or other kids too? Just wondering how this exchange works (sounds fun).

Quote Originally Posted by Kris315 View Post
    What about a gift card they can use on the actual ship. I know people are saying Starbucks but personally don't think young teenagers should have coffee and such till at least college maybe that is just me... Nail Polish is a good one - not sure if you have time when picking up your daughter but she could always pick out the colors and nail art. How many people do you buy for in the group - just the two girls or other kids too? Just wondering how this exchange works (sounds fun).
    A Disney gift card would work onship...and I think that may be the way I go.

I didn't do FE last trip, but was aware of it. I decided for this cruise, since we have a lot of at sea days (5 total if you include the departure day and the return day), it would be a fun thing to burn a few hours delivering presents on the ship. And, I think my kiddo will enjoy getting little treats in her "pouch" every day.

So, how does it work?

Basically, you go to a Disney Cruise forum that runs it (there are a few small ones and one really LARGE one...I'm sure you can guess where the large one is hosted...on a very large Disney forum...)

You find the listing for your cruise dates. Generally an FE sign up thread for cruise dates are set up about a year out. Running a FR cruise thread is a voluntary thing, but normally someone does (or a small group of people in my case, our thread has "two" hosts who are managing it.

You post that you are interested in signing up in the thread, and they will add you to the list (and, at least currently, a facebook group where you can see the final list as it's updated and chat with your fellow cruisers).

There are a lot of these groups around, including private ones organized amongst large cruise tour groups, etc. But the public ones tend to top out at 20 staterooms and then a new "sub-group" is created. My cruise currently has 3 groups at capacity (Mickey, Donald and Minnie), and my group (Daisy) made up of people who have signed up in the last month or so. My group is rather small. 12 staterooms including my own.

But, the group as a whole will have 72 rooms participating (not too shabby!). You only need exchange gifts within your group (though some enterprising individuals are actually participating in more than one group on my cruise...insane!). We are being told that this is the largest group from that forum ever...so that's rather neat. There will be other groups from other forums on the cruise as well, and as I noted, there are private groups who organize amongst themselves or through their Travel Agency, etc.

When you sign up you give the first names of your party, the number of adults and their genders, the number and gender of kids (so the gifts are gender appropriate), their ages (so the gifts are age appropriate, that's how I know I have two 14 year old girls), your stateroom number, and if you want any special occasions (like people celebrating their bday while on the cruise), and from there you are added to the list.

When you join you need to either craft or purchase a fish extender pouch setup. It can be as simple as a bag with your families name on it, but a lot of people go all out with it and create arrays of pockets with one pocket for each member of the family (like christmas stockings on steroids!).

I signed up very late (late June), and I don't really have the time (or equipment, frankly) to sew my own, though patterns are available online for free...but here is the one I got.

When it comes in (Monday or Tues) I'll probably take it to the local company that does embroidery stuff for my company's uniforms and see if they can embroider our names on it. I may not though, but I suspect the guy (I handle that vendor relationship for our company) will do it at discount or free for me as a perk (though I won't ask for that...but knowing him, he likes doing little things like that to keep us a "thrilled customers".

As far as gifts, thats really up to you and your budget. There are no specific rules (aside from Common Sense ones). Candy is common (one of the few rules is that any food stuffs may not be homemade and must be individually packaged for everyone's safety), mini bottles of booze for the adults, party favor type gifts for the kids, etc. Think xmas stocking stuffers and you have the general idea.

Some people get really creative with it and craft their own gifts. They'll relabel hand sanatizer bottles or other merch with cute themes, or they'll even create stuff from scratch (a common one I have seen is the grape soda adventure badge from Up, handmade).

You can give as much or as little as your energy and budget allow. You can give one large gift or set of gifts per stateroom for the whole family, or gift individually, whatever you wish.

For example, here is my plan.

I have in my group:

11 staterooms (not including mine)
    12 adult females
    10 adult males, with one celebrating his but 4-0 bday
    16 female kids ages ranged 3 to 14, with two celebrating their 5th and 6th bdays on the cruise
    5 male kids ranged 6 to 11

I decided to go with a regional (southern) theme for some of the gifts. Here is what I currently have (Ill be reposting this in my trip report as well, I just havent gotten to it yet).

Adults (1 set per stateroom)

1) A brown paper bag with two 6.25 oz classic Georgia Green "classic shaped" coke glasses each with one mini bottle of 100 proof Capt Morgan or one mini bottle of Kracken Rum (keeping that pirate sea theme!), along with a small recipe card for the perfect "rum and coke" and a short history of the coke company, which in keeping with theme, was founded and is still based in Atlanta, GA.

2) An official Masters Golf Ball. Masters is in Augusta Ga and is the top golf tourney in the world. I actually have a bunch of these laying around as I used to go to the Masters a lot. (only one per stateroom)

3) A quality 7" spyglass (Hampton Nautical) in a wooden case with the cruise ship name and dates engraved on the case. (Collapses to 2" for easy travel). It's a working spyglass (though not great magnification), but I thought it would be a neat keepsake as well as something the kids (or adults) could play with from their veranda rooms and peer at distant islands (or upper decks if they wish to carry it up there).

Each stateroom will get an assortment of unique edible treats for the whole family to share.

1) A brown paper bag that says "the working mans lunch" and has a 12 oz can of R/C cola and an assortment of mini moon pies (chocolate, strawberry, banana, vanilla, salted caramel). Enough in there so everyone in the room can at least have one to themselves, so some bags will have double upped flavours. (This is a North Carolina tradition)

2) A 16 oz bottle of peach cider (GA peaches and all)

3) An assortment of sweet and savory pecans (I checked the group for nut allergies on our group facebook, and no one had any) again, GA is well known for pecans!

4) A bottle of Wickles. An Alabama pickle, and the best pickle I have ever tasted. They say it is a "wickedly delicious pickle", and it is. Spicy yet sweet. I can eat a whole bottle if left to my own devices. They are pretty common in grocery stores (at least in the south) now, but that wasn't always the case, and I find a lot of people don't know about them.

Each stateroom will also get a few other family share or use items:

1) A "light card". These are little credit card sized plastic cards that have a magnet on the back. Your lights/power on the ship are controlled by a card docking port thing just inside your stateroom door. It is meant for you to put your stateroom key into to turn on the power for your room, but a lot of people dont like that. This card is especially for this use. When not in use, the magnet allows it to be stored on the wall (yes the wall is metal) directly above the slot.

2) A pirates card game for the family or kids to play together.

3) A waterproof lanyard phone case thing for the family to try (I suspect for the rooms with older kids this may be given to them...DCL has an app that can be used to keep in touch with each other on the cruise now over the ship wifi at no cost. You just need an itouch or tablet/phone of some sort for it)

The kids will get:

Age 3 F
    A color wonder disney princess coloring book
    A Disney Princess magnetic wooden dress up ariel thing I found on clearance at Target
    Pirate tattoos
    A bag of chocolate gold coins

Age 4 turning 5 on the cruise F
    A leapfrog "activity" watch I got on clearance at Target.
    A color wonder disney princess coloring book
    Pirate Tats

Age 6 F (there are 4 of them)
    Who Was Walt Disney? Children's biography.
    Pirates Tats
    A minnie collectable sticker album with 100 sticker starter packs
    Pirate Tats
    Glow in the dark bracelets (the glow stick kind)

Age 6 turning 7 on cruise F
    Same as the other 6 year olds but with another leapfrog "activity" watch thing. They were really cheap at target (one one of the rear clearance aisles) and I picked up the last two pink ones they had.

Age 9 / 10 / 11 / 12 F
    Same as the 6 year olds
    In addition they get Archie Comics Big Book (about the size of three double digests)
    Disney Mad Libs
    A 12 color pen

Age 14 F (2 of them)
    Betty and veronica double digest
    Glow in the dark bracelets
    Pirate tats
    Pirate style press on nail designs (not press on nails...more like temporary tats for nails that go onto a topcoat or the nail directly)
    A disney gift card (I guess?)
    A 12 color pen

Age 6 and 8 M
    A sonic the hedgehog comic digest
    Glow in the dark bracelets (I love the dollar store!)
    Pirate Tats
    Chocolate gold coins
    I want one other thing, but not sure what

Age 10 male
    Ok, this kid I know a bit better. His family is coming from the UK and I have been chatting in our cruise thread with his Mum. So, I know his tastes and interests.
    He will get
    Doctor Who Mad Libs
    A paper "make your own light up tardis" kit
    Doctor who tales of trenzalore book (this covers tales of his favorite doctor, Matt Smith.)
    A keep calm Im the doctor bookmark
    Pirate tats
    Chocolate gold coins
    A minecraft strategy guide
    A 12 color pen

Age 11 M (twins)
    A sonic comic digest (two different issues)
    Super Hero madlibs (it is DC, not Marvel, but oh well) and another mad libs that I havent found yet.
    A spy vs spy comic digest (two different issues)
    A 12 color pen
    Pirate tats
    Chocolate gold coins

I haven't purchased everything yet, so this list will change as I package this stuff and pack it and the like...but that is where my list stands as of today.
    Last edited by englanddg; 07-25-2015 at 02:03 PM.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Oh, the birthday dad is going to get an "old man of the seas" grumpy pin from DCL and a box of Altoids with a sticker label Input on it with a picture of Joe Pesci and they are called "Yout Pills" Tagline is "what the heck os a yout?"

The 11 year old twins will also get Minecraft strategy guides. I was also thinking about tossing in the new Harry Potter book "tales from the beetle bars" or whatever it is for the 14 year olds.

Once you get on the ship, you can deliver your gifts anytime and in any order. Some people do it the first day, others at random. There really are no set rules when it comes to that.

I figure the kiddo and I will do it on one of our at sea days and Ill let her find the rooms and deposit the presents. Sortof like a treasure hunt, but you are giving gifts! Our group is spread all over the ship, so our hunt should easily burn an hour or so, and we can play the detective agency paintings as we search the ship!
    Last edited by englanddg; 07-25-2015 at 12:52 PM.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Another thing people do with their FE displays is attach a ribbon or some felt to it as a flap and attach Disney Pins. It is an honor system take one leave one pin trading setup. We will be participating in this as well, though I am only going to put out cheap pins because I am worried about them getting stolen. (Sad, but it has been known to happen...)
    Last edited by englanddg; 07-25-2015 at 01:55 PM.
    A.D. (After Daughter)
    2010 - 2 weeks @ CBR
    2011 - 3 in DC, 14 @ CBR

Quote Originally Posted by Kris315 View Post
    What about a gift card they can use on the actual ship. I know people are saying Starbucks but personally don't think young teenagers should have coffee and such till at least college maybe that is just me... Nail Polish is a good one - not sure if you have time when picking up your daughter but she could always pick out the colors and nail art. How many people do you buy for in the group - just the two girls or other kids too? Just wondering how this exchange works (sounds fun).
    I totally agree with you! What 14 year old should be drinking coffee -.- I'm 21 and don't even enjoy coffee lol
    Tori

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast