Just One Night

Thread: Just One Night

Just One Night

DH and I are back from our overnight trip to WDW. Driving up, the weather was horrendous. Drenching downpours for most of the 3.5 hour drive. It finally let up to a very overcast drizzle as we arrived at WDW.

First, we took our dog to Best Friends Pet Resort, where he had a VIP suite (only the best for my boy!). It was his first time at BFPR. I'm glad the VIP suite is at the other end of the building, away from the other rooms, because it was so much quieter. His personal concierge was a very sweet woman who brought him a blanket later in the evening (we saw via webcam). It was so hard leaving him because he didn't understand what was going on and looked so sad. But his concierge was helping to make him feel better.

We checked in at the Wilderness Lodge (our first time staying there). We were given a room on the second floor with a courtyard view. The room was surprisingly small, but the theming was wonderful and the room was spotlessly clean.

At this point, DH and I decided to go our separate ways for a couple hours. He wanted to take pictures and I wanted to curl up on one of the big lobby chairs and read a book. It was great for about an hour and a half...and then Whispering Canyon opened for dinner. OMG, it was LOUD! We had ADRs for the next morning, so I was a little worried.

DH and I met back at our room soon afterward. We freshened up, then drove to the Poly to go to Trader Sam's. We were given a buzzer that went off about one minute later! We were there for quite some time, drinking, eating, drinking, and striking up conversations with other guests. Loads of fun. My favorite drinks are the Uh-Oa (which has great special effects when served) and the ginger-flavored Dark & Tropical Stormy.

We left shortly before closing and drove back to the WL. There was literally no one in the lobby except the CMs behind the counter, so we were able to get some great photos before going to our room.

Next morning, we went to our Whispering Canyon ADR, where we requested a table away from all the action. Unfortunately, the back section was closed, but they gave us the calmest waiter (with the weirdest version of a Western accent ever). DH had the Slow-Smoked Pulled Pork & Over Easy Egg Sandwich and I had the Banana Bread French Toast with Bananas Foster Sauce, which was not as amazing as Tonga Toast, but still very, very yummy. It came with bacon or sausage, but I asked for home fries instead, which were just ok. The restaurant wasn't nearly as crazy as I thought it would be. I think breakfast is calmer than dinner.

After breakfast, we packed up and left the resort to get the dog, who was very glad to see us. We were given a report card and a note from his concierge. They said he was shy, but sweet and happy with a good appetite. We will definitely be booking BFPR again (VIP suite, of course).
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Sounds like a nice little get away!

Re: Just One Night

Can't wait to try the Dark & Tropical Stormy! The Banana Bread Fosters sounds yummy. Glad you had a decent time, and your dog did, too!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Can't wait to try the Dark & Tropical Stormy! The Banana Bread Fosters sounds yummy. Glad you had a decent time, and your dog did, too!
    If you like ginger, you'll love the drink.

The Banana French Toast was better without the Foster sauce, which comes on the side. The sauce was good, but very, very sweet and took away from the banana flavor, in my opinion.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    If you like ginger, you'll love the drink.

The Banana French Toast was better without the Foster sauce, which comes on the side. The sauce was good, but very, very sweet and took away from the banana flavor, in my opinion.
    I do love ginger, and regular Dark & Stormy's! Rosita's Margarita and the Hippopotomai-Tai both sound good, too. Decisions, decisions...

That's good the sauce was on the side then, so it didn't ruin it.
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

That resort is so beautiful. We haven't stayed there yet but did Eat at whispering once and the food was good.
    What great luck, no wait for trader Sam!
    Glad you had fun.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium

What a great way to experience the hotel! It would be neat if you did that every so often for different deluxe resorts to get to try them out. Sounds like a fun and relaxing visit! I'm glad your dog was okay too! Very cool he got to stay in his own suite
    “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

Quote Originally Posted by vanessprincess View Post
    What a great way to experience the hotel! It would be neat if you did that every so often for different deluxe resorts to get to try them out. Sounds like a fun and relaxing visit! I'm glad your dog was okay too! Very cool he got to stay in his own suite
    We want to do this every once in a while, if we can get a good rate. It's amazing how we felt like we had a long weekend when we got home!

Does anyone know the deal with the rooms in the Wilderness Lodge lobby? Are they considered concierge level? We were in one of the "wings."
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

Hey Curious Alice was that your first time at Whispering Canyon? We love that place and all "action". Hehe.

Awwww - glad the dog was ok.

Sounds a fun overnighter!
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    Just a dream away!

TALK DISNEY ADMINISTRATOR

Quote Originally Posted by TheGoofy1 View Post
    Hey Curious Alice was that your first time at Whispering Canyon? We love that place and all "action". Hehe.
    Yes, that was the first time. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, probably because it was breakfast. We had our disc thing turned to the red side, so we were safe, but we didn't see anything more than the ketchup thing a few times, and at one point the kids rode stick horses around the dining room (thankfully, it was very controlled).
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR