TinkerBritt's Disneyland 60th Diamond Celebration Trip! 1st Ever Visit!

Mickey TinkerBritt's Disneyland 60th Diamond Celebration Trip! 1st Ever Visit!

Hello Everyone! I've returned from a quick trip to Disneyland! It was my first visit so I wanted to share my experience with you all to let you know how everything went and how wonderful The Diamond Celebration was! I went with my mother and sisters on a girls trip. We were only there for 3 days so it was definately a work out to see everything in such little time.

Day 1: Disneyland Park

We got to the airport early and had already pre-checked in so got through security smoothly. Our flight was good. No delays and I usually have ear problems (they don't pop and feel high pressure) but no problems this trip. We landed at LAX at 12:00pm. We all had carry on bags so were able to directly get picked up by our hired driver and go straight to our hotel. We arrived at our hotel The Fairfield Inn Anaheim Resort before schedule. We were too early to check in so we checked our bags. It was the day of the Halloween Party so I grabbed my costume and shoes placed them in a tote bag and we made our way to the park which was directly across the street from our hotel, about a 5 minute walk to the gate which was awesome!!!!!! As soon as I stepped across the street, the monorail sped by and I got that instant Disney glow and happy feeling! We were finally there after all of the planning! It was really warm outside but it was tolerable for me because it felt just like Louisiana but with less humidity. In the courtyard where we got our bags checked, you could hear the music playing from Alice in Wonderland, "All in the Golden Afternoon" which brought tears to my eyes. The nostalgia of Disneyland hit me hard! Then in a second my happiness was interrupted by some old lady that was ticked off that they had to check her bag. REALLY LADY! GET OVER IT! YOU SHOULD BE THANKING THEM! The poor cast members had to call a supervisor because she yelled at them for one. I rolled my eyes and gave her a dirty look! But moved on to my happy moment and 1st time seeing the gates of Disneyland! The gates were beautifully decorated with the fall pumpkins and leaves, Mickey Mouse shaped of course! Then there was the large 60th Anniversary sign. As we entered into the park, I immediately saw Mickey, Pluto, Minnie, and Donald on Main Street which brought a smile to my face. We took a picture in front of the large pumpkin and of all of the Main Street decorations. I looked up to the 2nd level of the Firehouse which was Walt's apartment and smiled. I imagined 60 years ago what it would have been like to have a place above Main Street. At this point it was after 1 so we headed over further to the end of Main Street to have lunch at the Jolly Holiday Bakery Cafe. It was amazing! I loved the atmosphere! It being a Wednesday, there was no line or crowd. We immediately got served. I had the Jolly Holiday combo Grilled Cheese and Tomato Basil soup. I didn't care that it was hot out, I had in my mind that I wanted to try this combo since I first started planning our trip. To cool me off, I tried the special 60th anniversary Frozen Pomegranite Silver Sparkler drink. It was delicious and a nice size drink! The Victorian decor and the Mary Poppins inspired antiques inside the Jolly Holiday were wonderful! There was a small carousel, robin, and sugar bowl in the case above the sugars and condiments. The penguin stain glass windows were my favorite of the space! When we were eating, there was a duck that waited for us to give him bread. He quickly became our ducky friend. After lunch, we headed through the castle which was beautifully decorated in all it's Diamond Celebration glory. It sparkled in the sun. On my itinerary I had planned for us to ride all rides that weren't available at Walt Disney World so our first stop was the Matterhorn. I was sort of disappointed in the ride vehicle. It was very uncomfortable and felt like we were sitting on concrete and jerked us around a lot on the ride. But I loved the ride itself and the sculpted mountain! It's truly a work of art! There was only a 5 minute wait which was awesome. Our next stop was Pinocchio's Daring Journey. I loved it! There was no one in line but 1 family so we quickly road it and headed to the Storybook Land Canal Boats. It was such a pretty day that the sky reflected off the water and the landscapes and models of each story looked so beautiful! We then road Mr. Toad's Wild Ride! The nostalgia definately hit me on that one! I couldn't believe it had been over 18 years since I last road it in WDW. We tried to ride Alice in Wonderland but the wait was too long so we would wait until another day and moved on to other rides that we road before at WDW like It's a Small World. I love Disneyland's version better because of the boats being outside with the beautiful building and clock setting a magical tone. My pictures came out really clear and I loved how each scene had a character from one of the Disney tales such as Alice, Cinderella, Little Mermaid, Toy Story, Lilo and Stitch,etc. We rode the carousel and Dumbo which definately remind me of Walt when Disneyland first opened! After getting on 7 rides, it was almost 5:00 and time to get our wristbands for the Halloween party. Many people were starting to file in and we had had our costumes stored in a locker until party time because it was definately too hot to be walking around in them all day. We got our bracelets at Big Thunder Ranch then headed back to the Main Street lockers to change. I was Cinderella from the Live Action Film, one of my sisters was the Fairy Godmother from the Live Action film and my other sister was Cinderella from the Classic Cartoon Film as in her mother's pink and white gown with blue beaded necklace. The bad part about changing in the parks is there is only one mirror in all of the bathrooms so we had to fight to see if our costumes looked right and if our hair looked ok lol. We walked back near the castle along the path of the grotto and wishing well! This became one of our favorite spots to walk past. We went back down to Toontown where Mickey and his pals were. Mickey's line was too long so we just got to see Goofy and Donald. Donald was so cute dressed in his magician outfit. He loved how my sister and I were both different versions of Cinderella so he wanted my sister to act like she was transforming my other sister into me...the cast member told us because we didn't know what he wanted..."He wants you to do the magic." So cute!!! We then went to Frontierland and rode Thunder Mountain in our costumes! It wasn't too bad of a wait. I would say at this point it was almost 7:00. The sun set and we went on to Pirates of the Caribbean. Along the way on the Rivers of America, there was dry ice smoke that covered the entire area. It definately looked awesomely spooky. When we boarded the boat on the Pirates ride, you could hear the costumed men holding candles singing at Blue Bayou. Riding by in our boat, they looked creepy like ghosts with hats. I filmed it but you couldn't tell what anything was in the dark on camera. After the ride, my mom was starting to get hungry. When I planned the trip, she didn't want me to make reservations on the 1st 2 days because she didn't want to be tied down at a certain time but only a few quick service counters were open for the Halloween party. We had to get food from The Stage Door in Frontierland. Big mistake! The line was 45 minutes long just for chicken nuggets which I would have walked down to the Harbor Galley or back to the Jolly Holiday but she didn't want to walk anymore. Good thing the food was ok. My original plan was to eat a snack and go eat at Downtown Disney after the Halloween party. After eating, it was 8:20 and almost time for the Paint the Night parade. We got a decent spot next to the Refreshment Corner by the Jolly Holiday. Paint the Night by far is my favorite parade of all time! I love the soundtrack and floats and characters and costumes!!! It was amazing! The Halloween Screams fireworks were awesome too with part of the Haunted Mansion soundtrack and green and orange fireworks. Having been up since 5:30a.m. we were ready to head back to the hotel instead of going to Downtown Disney after and I was ready to get out of my costume. It was a wonderful 1st day! I was ready for a full day at Disneyland for Day 2.

This completes day 1 of my trip report. I will post day 2 tomorrow I don't think my description of my day gives it justice but it was worth a shot! I'm a little rusty at writing.
    "Faith is a bluebird you see from a far. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star"
    Magical Disney Trips circa 1989
    1991*1994*1997*2003*2011*2013

That was beautiful, can't wait to read the rest !!

Looking forward to day two.
    My two sisters and I have been talking about doing a girls only trip to Disneyland. Especially now that my oldest sister is living in california

Re: TinkerBritt's Disneyland 60th Diamond Celebration Trip! 1st Ever Visit!

That settles it! Our next trip must be to DL! Sounds like a wonderful first day and I look forward to reading the rest!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Thanks for reading Disneybelle and mrsmule229

Forgot to mention that the hotel accommodations were really nice for the price! We finally checked in late after we got back from the park. The lobby had very nice classic black and white photos of Walt Disney and the Disneyland park construction. On the 3rd floor there was a Pizza Hut and coffee shop with tables which I thought was great! Our room was on the 1st floor but we didn't mind at all! It was a standard room but had pictures of the castle and the entrance to Disneyland on the walls. The beds were very soft and the carpet was plush and clean. Everything was well kept and the air conditioned worked fine which was a plus!

Day 2

We woke around 7:00. I decided to wear my Elsa tank that I got from Delia's and the Olaf plush backpack from Hot Topic with Minnie Ears that had a blue bow. Olaf looked extra cute hanging on my back. There was a McDonald's in front of the hotel so on our walk to the park, we stopped really quickly to grab a biscuit. Entering the Disneyland Courtyard to the gates, you could again hear the Alice song, "In the Golden Afternoon" which made me smile! It was Magical Morning hour at Disneyland so we took advantage of going in at 8:00 and take pictures with the characters on Main Street. I saw Minnie dressed in her Halloween dress in the Central Square. My sister and I looked for Mary Poppins, Mr. Penguin, and Bert which are her favorite characters but they were not around yet. Our first ride of the day was Peter Pan's flight. The line was longest we had experienced so far at the park but it was shady and I was able to take some great shots of the castle while waiting. It's such a classic ride and fun for all ages so of course it has the longest line of Fantasyland. We then rode Snow White's Scary Adventures which I was glad Disneyland still has this ride. The attention to detail of all of the characters and backdrops is very nicely done even though I was scared of this ride as a kid. We then rode Alice in Wonderland. Each ride that we went on I placed Olaf next to us as if he was riding. After completing all of Fantasyland rides, we headed through New Orleans Square to Critter Country and decided to eat an early lunch at Hungry Bear Restaurant. I loved the setting and it was very peaceful. I didn't see the Fried Green Tomato sandwich on the menu so I ordered a Hamburger and Fries. Good food! I also bought a keepsake Haunted Mansion themed Mickey and Minnie Mouse to go Mug on the way to ride the Haunted Mansion ride which was decorated so awesome in all Nightmare before Christmas decorations. I've never seen anything like it! Very nicely done! At the Dining Room scene, you can smell the gingerbread when he says gingerbread. We had grabbed a fastpass to Splash Mountain so we headed over there next. I couldn't believe that there were no seatblts lol so that made me feel like it wasn't going to be as big of a drop as Magic Kingdom in WDW...maybe there aren't any seatbelts there either and I just didn't notice. I had photopass plus so I was able to use it for all of the photo taking rides. We rode the Disneyland Railroad to Tomorrowland and grabbed fastpasses to Space Mountain and headed down to Main Street to do some shopping. The amount of 60th anniversary merchandise was unbelievable! I wanted everything but didn't want to buy anything until later in the trip so just looked around at all of the shops. My favorite was the China Closet. It's such a beautiful shop with the Crystal Arts store next door. After shopping, we took the Sleeping Beauty Castle Tour. I loved it! I could imagine if I was a kid walking through the castle walls and seeing the sleeping beauty scenes throughout the corridors. We walked back to use our Space Mountain fastpasses. Ghost galaxy was running and I loved it. The ghost effects and music are awesome. I had my Olaf backpack on my lap so it looks like he's riding it in the picture! The camera flashed when I was screaming "Yeeeeahhhhh" so it's a funny photo! The trip was going by so fast at this point, I can't remember what we did next. On our way to hop to California Adventure for the 1st time, we saw Alice and the Mad Hatter were out as well as Sleeping Beauty, and Rapunzel were near the castle. It was 4:15 when we left to hop to California Adventure. Lots of people were doing the same. The gates reminded me of Hollywood Studios in Orlando. I loved the shops along Buena Vista street. You could smell the Starbucks on the corner. We took photopass pictures in front of the Carthay Circle which would have been my choice for dinner that night but we were on a budget since I had just gotten a new car before this trip. We walked around without riding any rides just to explore the park for the first time. I really loved Paradise Pier. Mickey's funwheel and California Screamin looked so fun! I couldn't wait to ride them but we were going to wait until Friday since the park would be open until midnight then and we were going to hop back tonight to watch the Disneyland Forever fireworks. We ate an early supper at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta. I thought the pasta was delicious. It reminded me of Tony's Restaurant at WDW. The seating areas outside were nice. We were able to watch the Pixar parade pass as we ate. We walked around Bugs Land and Cars land which I thought were very nicely themed. I felt like everything was so spread out that we were walking and exploring forever! We walked to Hollywoodland and went to Off the Page and inside Animation Workshop area where there was a meet and greet for Anna and Elsa so me and one of my sisters headed in line which only took about 25 minutes as opposed to WDW where the lines are unending. I still had my Olaf plush backpack so I was ready to use him as a prop in the photos. Anna and Elsa were so fun to talk to. They saw my Elsa shirt and Anna wondered if she had a shirt would it say, "We finish each other's sandwiches or Half Chocolate." After the meet and greet, we headed back to Disneyland to get a snack at the Jolly Holiday before watching the fireworks. I got a Mickey Shaped sugar cookie and Caramel Macchiato. Very tasty! The fireworks were beautiful! I loved how as soon as the projection screen picture of Walt appeared on the castle, everyone cheered! Towards the end of the show, snow flakes were falling on Main Street as the song from Frozen played! I loved it! After the show, we headed to Downtown Disney to do some shopping. I loved World of Disney and had to hold back from buying everything since I was on a budget and not a lot of money was left for souvenirs. Also the Disney vault store had the Dooney and Bourke collection I wanted but I couldn't splurge. At this point, it was 11:30 by the time we finished shopping so we were dead tired and our feet hurt so we started walking back to the hotel. My fitbit bracelet said we had walked 25,000 steps a little over 10 miles! An awesome 2nd day at the parks!
    "Faith is a bluebird you see from a far. It's for real and as sure as the first evening star"

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    That settles it! Our next trip must be to DL! Sounds like a wonderful first day and I look forward to reading the rest!
    It was amazing! You should definately go!

Great report! I've never been to Disneyland but you are certainly making me want to check it out now. Sounds fabulous! Looking forward to reading about the rest of your trip
    “No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.”

Day 3

Our last day in Disneyland. I was sad but excited because we had a Breakfast with Minnie and Friends reservation at the Plaza Inn. I wore my Gus Gus Cinderella Tee with shorts and some comfortable sandals. I also had a drawstring backpack of the 7 dwarfs fabric that I bought on Etsy but as soon as I started to put my wallet, phone, and camera in it, I pulled too hard on the drawstring and it ripped but I had a back up purse I had gotten as a gift from my sister. We entered the gates to Disneyland for the last time. It was early so not a lot of people were in the park yet and we immediately got in line to take pictures on Main Street with Pluto and Donald who were wearing Halloween Pumpkin costumes. The weather was nice as usual with the birds chirping and the Main Street music playing. 4 Dapper Dans were riding a quadruple bicycle which I thought was awesome. All of the Main Street vehicles were out. I was ready to ride the double decker trolley or horse drawn trolley whichever came first. We got to our morning breakfast reservation early and the people in front of us had reservations and had to sit outside so I was worried that we would be also but as soon as they checked us in they brought us to the interior of the restaurant and sat us in the solarium with a wonderful view of Main Street and all of the rest of the restaurant. The chandeliers and the Victorian elegance of the entire space was beautiful! I started to get excited when I saw Pooh bear greeting some tables. I hurried and filled my buffet plate with Mickey Waffles, Eggs, bacon, sausage, and hash browns with coffee and raced back to my place. It didn't take long for him to come by and he was extra cute making his Pooh bear gestures with his paw to his face. We took some cute cuddly photos with him and Minnie came next. Then Eeyore and Captain Hook. Poor Eeyore didn't have opposable thumbs to sign but he did a good job! I was hoping for Mr. Penguin from Mary Poppins but he wasn't there this particular day. Dale was there and acting so funny. He started rearranging table and chairs and asking Minnie to sit down at her own reserved empty table and brought breakfast to her! Captain Hook was mad at me because I told him I was friends with Tinker Bell so he kept pushing me away as we tried to take a picture haha. The Cinderella Mice weren't there either but we did see that Mary Poppins and Bert came out from the area that we had a view of outside so after finishing breakfast got in line to see them. Bert told us that we were the last family of the morning so if we didn't mind to tell everyone who stood behind us...this was a chore because they are really popular! We finally got our picture and spoke with them after 25 minutes and Mary asked where we were from so we said from around Tiana's hometown! We also told her as Mr. Penguin says,"You're my favorite person, Mary Poppins"...haha. We then were able to ride the horse drawn trolley! Afterwards we moved on to Toontown and rode Roger Rabbit's cartoon spin which had a longa wait and I was surprised that most of the ride queues didn't have fans or air flow which made them very hot but I didn't mind. We wanted to ride Space Mountain again. We also took the monorail around to Downtown Disney and back. We walked around all of the lands again to take some more pictures. We found the old Club 33 door and took pictures by it! It's located next to the stores of New Orleans square. It really wasn't as hard to find as we thought. We watched the show Mickey and the Magical Map! It was so cute! I loved the theming with the digital map projection with beautiful colors and dancers throughout the show. Characters such as Sebastian from the Little Mermaid, Stitch, Pocahontas, Rapunzel, and others came out during the show with their singing acts! We left the park for the last time at 4 since we were going to be kicked out for the Halloween party and went back to Disney's California Adventure. I can't remember if I mentioned that we took a picture with Mickey in his Trolley outfit the night before. He was so cute! We rode Soarin! I love the smell of the Oranges and the Evergreens!!! It's a very refreshing and very relaxing ride and I love it! We then moved on to Paradise Pier and ate a late lunch quick bite at Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta, a slice of Pizza. It was delicious! We rode California Screamin! It was the largest roller coaster I've ridden in a while! It was a lot of fun. The upside down loop was interesting! Afterwards, we moved to Mickey's funwheel. We decided to use the stationary gondola, not the moving ones. We didn't want to get motion sickness after riding the roller coaster. The view at the top was amazing. You could see all of Anaheim. We moved on to Hollywoodland and looked for some characters. No one was out and about so we got some popcorn and sat and relaxed for a little while before Tower of Terror. We did some shopping on Buena Vista street. I bought a can of Mickey's Diner coffee (always a must when visiting the parks). I also got 2 60th Anniversary ornaments (one of Mickey and one of the castle) and a shot glass! It was very nice talking to the cast member at the register who mentioned she tries to go to WDW as often as she can but loves Disneyland and working there. Once dinner time came, we decided to again do quick service at Cucina Cucomonga. It was delicious. We waited in line a while because of it being a Friday night. I got the tamales with the tomatillo sauce with rice and beans and my sisters got the tacos which smelled delicious too! I walked by the Cove bar to see if I could get a drink but the line was extremely long and they were closing for the World of Color show where they had roped off areas. We got a spot on the Paradise Pier bridge and had a pretty good view except for the post. I noticed that there were a lot of drunks around which made me feel that they shouldn't offer alcohol in the park because people abuse it. I wouldn't have minded one drink but all of these people had had several and you could definately tell. I loved during World of Color how the center Mickey head of the Ferris Wheel showed scenes from Classic Disney films and Walt's legacy. The water effects were beautiful! I really enjoyed the show but the crowd control afterward was awful! We wanted to ride the Little Mermaid ride but it was hard to get to. We finally had to jump the ropes to get into line. It was a nice relaxing ride to get away from the crowds. We then walked around one last time near the river rapids and grizzly peak. At this point it was 11:00pm. Our energy was spent. We were ready to say goodbye to Disneyland. I was sad but happy that after 30 years, I was finally able to make a trip there. It was very special to us and we'll never forget it!