Two day trip (mostly at Disney Springs)

Two day trip (mostly at Disney Springs)

Just got back from a very quick trip to WDW, where I went to three new restaurants in Disney Springs.

First, although it's not pretty, I love that they built a huge parking garage. And I love that every lane has a sign that lets you know if there are any spots open (I guess each spot is pressure sensitive). We had no trouble finding a parking spot when we visited in the daytime, but when we got there at night, the whole lot was full and we had to park on the dark side of the moon (the old parking lot on the far side of Cirque de Soleil).

We had lunch at Jock Lindsey's Hangar Bar. The theming is fantastic. It has something to do with Raiders of the Lost Ark, but I don't really know those movies. It looks like an old airplane hanger and, along the lines of Trader Sam's, every square inch is covered with fun memorabilia from old planes and deep sea diving. There's even a big diving bell with a table inside (unfortunately, it was already taken when we got there). There are also tables outside on the lake, including an area aboard a big dry-docked boat.

We were able to get a booth inside for lunch. The Tanis Tacos, filled with falafel, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, and a spicy sauce, were very good. Basically, it was taco-shaped falafel. The falafel was better than anything I've had at Epcot, even during the Food & Wine Festival. I also tried the Rolling Boulders Sliders, which were meatball sliders. They had a little kick to them due to the yogurt sauce, but I liked the tacos better. But good enough that I'd get them again. Teddy's Tea, iced green tea with tangerine and mint, was YUMMY!!!

On another day we had lunch at the Boathouse, a seafood restaurant with (obviously) a nautical theme. Inside, there's a big Chris Craft with a cutout booth that seats four or five. It was more upscale than Fulton's (by far). I thought the food was good, but nothing to rave about. First we shared shrimp cocktail. The shrimp were $4 each, but they were gigantic. Three bites to finish one of them. My DH had a salad with steak and bay shrimp, and loved it. I tried the steak and it was very tender and nicely seasoned. I ordered the club sandwich, which was quite good, but ridiculously huge. The toothpicks holding it together were about half a foot long! There was so much turkey, I took some of it out of the sandwich and put it in a doggy bag for our dog, who was staying at Best Friends Pet Resort. (VIP suite, of course.)

After lunch, we went out to the back of the restaurant, where they have a lot of very cool vintage boats at the dock, my favorite being a cute mid-century modern pink boat called The Meteor, which was built in 1958. Even if you don't eat at the restaurant, take a look at the vintage boats.

The third restaurant we tried was Morimoto. The place is HUGE! It's gorgeously decorated, with unique lighting and flowing lines. It has two floors, the second floor overlooking the first floor. The sushi bar is on the second floor and I think it also has its own entrance.

When we arrived at the reception desk we asked if tables were available for dinner on the second floor. The hostess hesitated, then went to talk to someone. She came back and led us upstairs to a booth, never once cracking a smile. A waiter came over to tell us about the menu and the specials. He was extremely friendly and thorough. He took our drink orders and left. (We never saw him again.) A waitress came over to our table to inform us that the second floor is now going to be a lounge. Huh?? She said that means there's only a bar menu. We told her we were seated upstairs for dinner. She then agreed to allow us the privilege of ordering from the main menu.

Food-wise, it's all about the vegetable egg rolls. OMG...soooo delicious! We also had chicken dumplings, which tasted very fresh, but I though they were a bit bland. DH called the flavor "delicate." Very delicate. We tried some of the sushi. We both agreed that it was extremely fresh and well-made, but there was nothing that made it extra special.

There was a lot of staff, many of whom looked "very important." Every few minutes, someone would come by and asked if everything was good. Every few minutes...to the annoying point. Ok, I know they only opened a few days ago, but still. The "very important" people made the restaurant feel more like South Beach, Florida, than an upscale Downtown Disney restaurant...I mean, Disney Springs. It's kind of hard to explain, but the "very important" people gave off the feeling that they were more important than the diners in the restaurant.

My favorite of the three was Jock Lindsey's. It was fun and the food was good. I want to try more food from their menu. I don't really care if I go back to the Boathouse or not. But I do want those Morimoto egg rolls again, even if it means being tolerated by the "very important" staff.

We also spent a couple of hours at the Food & Wine Festival. I had Japan's teriyaki bun (good), Patagonia's empanada (very good), France's creme brle (good, but I wish there had been no chocolate in it), and Dominican Republic's pineapple flan (very, very good).

This trip was made up of a lot of walking and eating in two days and now I want to nap for a week. Our next trip is in December. We'll have five days, so we can take it a little slower.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

DL: At least 5 times in '80s
    WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Re: Two day trip (mostly at Disney Springs)

Nice review! I really want to get to Jock Lindsey's when we are there in a couple weeks. The Boathouse and Morimoto's look nice, but they will have to wait until another time. Can't wait to get to Food & Wine! Thanks for the write-up!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    Nice review! I really want to get to Jock Lindsey's when we are there in a couple weeks. The Boathouse and Morimoto's look nice, but they will have to wait until another time. Can't wait to get to Food & Wine! Thanks for the write-up!
    We got to Jock Linsey's around noon and there were empty tables. But by the time we left, it was getting crowded, so I suggest getting there early. Next time I want to get the pretzels. They looked so good!

I wish we had more time at Food & Wine this year. There were booths I wanted to go to, but we just didn't have time.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

WDW: '72, '77, '88, May '03, May '04, Nov '04, Jan '05, Feb '05, Dec '05, Jan '06, May '06, Oct '06, Nov '07, Nov '08, Feb '09, Oct 09, Dec '09, Mar '10, Apr 10, Dec '10, Mar '11, May '11, Oct '11, Dec '11, Jan '12, Oct '12, Dec '12, Feb '13, Dec '13, Nov '14, Dec '14, Feb '15, Mar '15, Apr '15, May '15, Aug '15, Oct '15, Dec '15

Re: Two day trip (mostly at Disney Springs)

Quote Originally Posted by Curious Alice View Post
    We got to Jock Linsey's around noon and there were empty tables. But by the time we left, it was getting crowded, so I suggest getting there early. Next time I want to get the pretzels. They looked so good!

I wish we had more time at Food & Wine this year. There were booths I wanted to go to, but we just didn't have time.
    Thanks for the tip! Those tacos and the pretzels are the two things I want to try. I can't decide which drink I want. Maybe the Bedtime Story.

I have a LONG list of things I want to try at Food & Wine. We are only there one day though so I doubt I will get to them all unfortunately!
    Couldn't imagine life without WDW!
    Last Trip: Oct 2015
    Upcoming: Feb 2016
    Treehouses(2) Vaca. Villas(2) Poly(1) Contemporary(1) CSR(1) CBR(4) POR(1) Sports(4) OKW(1) SSR(2) AKL(1)
    **Oo-de-lally, Oo-de-lally, Golly, what a day!**

I forgot to mention the Remy's Ratatouille Hide & Squeak game at the Food & Wine Festival. You buy a map and stickers for $7.95. There's a hidden Remy holding a ratatouille ingredient in every country. The stickers have the different ingredients, so you have to find him to know which sticker goes with each country. When you fill your map you take it to the store at the entrance to World Showcase and you get to pick out one of several limited edition Remy pins. (If you can't finish, they'll give you the pin, anyway.) If you want to play, start early because when it gets dark, some of the Remys can be very hard to find.
    TALK DISNEY MODERATOR

Ooh you so lucky! Glad you had a good time.
    Frying pans! Who knew, right!?

Talk Disney Moderator

Click here to become a Premium