First Timer

Thread: First Timer

First Timer

Hello, my name is Dora. I'm 24 and totally blind from British Columbia, Canada.
    I was born weighing in at 1 pound, 6 ounces. As a child, I was able to see lights, shadows and bright colours out of my right eye. But at age 17, I lost that vision in my right eye due to a haemorrhage and loss of oxygen in the optic nerve. Now I'm totally blind in both eyes.
    I use a screen reader on both my iPhone and Mac called voice over. It's an accessibility feature that reads what's on the screen to help me navigate the web and social media.
    Another thing is, my senses aren't heightened, I just focus on them more. It's weird and annoying that people would think that, and I'm probably not the only one who's said this.
    Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I have a positive attitude, I'm always smiling and I try my best to lift others up with nothing but kindness and affection.

Quote Originally Posted by DoraSpeck View Post
    Hello, my name is Dora. I'm 24 and totally blind from British Columbia, Canada. I was born weighing in at 1 pound, 6 ounces. As a child, I was able to see lights, shadows and bright colours out of my right eye. But at age 17, I lost that vision in my right eye due to a haemorrhage and loss of oxygen in the optic nerve. Now I'm totally blind in both eyes. I use a screen reader on both my iPhone and Mac called voice over. It's an accessibility feature that reads what's on the screen to help me navigate the web and social media. Another thing is, my senses aren't heightened, I just focus on them more. It's weird and annoying that people would think that, and I'm probably not the only one who's said this. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this, and if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask me. I have a positive attitude, I'm always smiling and I try my best to lift others up with nothing but kindness and affection.
    Welcome Dora! I admire your positivity; wish there were more people in the world with your bright and sunny attitude! I have seen the accessibility features on iPhone and Mac as I work as a careers counselor and facilitate workshops for teachers getting into career counseling and one of them is a workshop for working with individuals with disability and we get guest speakers in to demonstrate the assistive technology and how it can be used by people in the workforce. It is quite amazing some of the programs available!
    Last edited by AusDisneyFan; 09-06-2016 at 02:32 PM.
    AusDisneyFan

Re: First Timer

Awesome!
    Which park have you been to?

Quote Originally Posted by DoraSpeck View Post
    Awesome! Which park have you been to?
    I'm actually currently on holidays at WDW! I have done WDW a few times, Disneyland a few times and Hong Kong Disneyland a few times. Not bad considering I live in Australia!
    AusDisneyFan

Welcome to talk Disney!

Quote Originally Posted by mrsmule229 View Post
    Welcome to talk Disney!
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by AusDisneyFan View Post
    I'm actually currently on holidays at WDW! I have done WDW a few times, Disneyland a few times and Hong Kong Disneyland a few times. Not bad considering I live in Australia!
    Do you know if it's possible to deactivate an account? I've accidentally created 2 of them!