Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    lizziemcguire76 is offline Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    disneyland
    Favorite Attraction
    grizzly river run
    Credits

5 year old's first trip!

Hey everybody! My family and i are taking my five year old niece with us to DLR in september and this is her first trip.None of us have ever traveled there with a child under 10 before and i was just wondering what your tips would be? Do you think it's necessary to rent a stroller or is she too old for that? What attractions would be too much for her etc?? I'd really appreciate any info anybody has??

Official Space Mountain club member!
    Offical rocket rods and submarine voyage member!
    KIRBY--wishing i could be part of that world!

2. You May Also Like....

Sponsored Links

bberenato is offline TD Premium Member!
    Favorite Park
    Magic Kingdom
    Favorite Attraction
    Haunted Mansion
    Credits

I do not know how big DLR is but i recomend getting a stroller. We got one for my daughter up untill last year who was 7 at the time, its good if you stay in the park from sun up to closing !!! plus its a great carrying machine for back packs, sodas, cameras...etc

Last edited by bberenato; 03-29-2005 at 04:08 PM.
    Just Beth now! ****I Love WDW****
    "Drink up me Hardees... Yo Ho"
    One day in Disney is better than none !!!
    "A man has to believe in something... I believe i will have another drink"

HmDonald90 is offline Senior Imagineer
    Favorite Park
    Disneyland
    Favorite Attraction
    The Haunted Mansion
    Credits

First off, let me just say that I am happy for you! Congratulations on your upcoming trip to the Disneyland Resort! You guys will have so much fun at your stay at Disneyland! Will you be attending Disney's California Adventure as well? So far, all I have to tell you is to experience ALL the rides if possible. Your niece might be afraid of "Pirates Of The Caribbean", "Haunted Mansion", "Indiana Jones Adventure", "Honey, I Shrunk The Audience", "Snow White's Scary Adventures", and "Matterhorn Bobsleds" because of the special effects. Just encourage her to ride the attractions because they are all a blast! I recommend the "Casy Jr. Circus Train" and "Mr. Toad's Wild Ride" attractions in Fantasyland because I'm sure she might enjoy them; maybe you will enjoy them too! I always love to eat at "Refreshment Corner" located in Main Street U.S.A. as well as "Village Haus" in Fantasyland at Disneyland PArk. But of course, everyone has different taste buds. These are just suggestions. In Disney's California Adventure, your niece might enjoy "Jumpin' Jellyfish" in Paradise Pier. As well as the "Mulholland Madness" mini rollercoaster in Paradise Pier. If YOU love the thrills, "The Twilight Zone Tower Of Terror" is highly recommended! I hope your trip goes great! Hopefully the crowds will be tame! Okay then, I hope you guys enjoy your trip! Be sure to write and share your trip report!

HmDonald90
    I FINALLY rode the new Space Mountain at Disneyland Park on July 5, 2005!!!
    Rides on the new Space Mountain at Disneyland Park up to date-- 19

cinderella_girl is offline Cast Member
    Disneyland (mentally), Pacific Northwest (physically)
    Favorite Park
    Disneyland; the original, the ultimate, the best
    Favorite Attraction
    Soarin' Over California
    Credits

Congrats! It's so much fun to share Disney with everyone, especially the young ones. Obviously, there will be plenty for your niece to experience. I agree that Refreshment Corner's a great place. It's a nice place to ; a break point during a long day. There's a ragtime pianist who plays there.

Disneyland:
    In Fantasyland, she would enjoy Dumbo, Casey Jr., Storybook Canal Boats, Peter Pan (if she's not afraid of heights), Alice in Wonderland, It's a Small World, and the carrousel. Pinocchio, Mr. Toad and Snow White are iffy in my oppinion. I would suggest trying them out first and decide if she could handle it.
    In Adventureland, you could take her to the Tiki Room, the Jungle Cruise, and in Tarzan's Treehouse.
    In Tomorrowland, Autopia is fun; kids love to drive their parents. You might be able to get away with Star Tours. Different kids have different tolerance levels.
    There's plenty for her in Toontown with characters houses to explore and characters to meet. Gadget's Go Coaster is a small roller coaster that she might have fun on.

Califonia Adventure
    If she's not afraid of heights, you might be able to do Soarin' Over California. Otherwise, I definitely suggest using the family switch. It's a must see. Grizzly River Run would be fun for everyone if it's hot. However, be aware that you may be going down a slope backwards. If that's ok, then you could try it. It's tons of fun!
    In a Bug's Land, there are plenty of rides for her. It's a fun place for a kid. Also, they have a trail/play area by Grizzly River Run that she can play on.
    At Paradise Pier you could go on the Sun Wheel (ferris wheel) if she's not afraid of heights. I like the compartments (or whatever you call them) that don't move. She would enjoy Golden Zephyr and Jumpin' Jellyfish. There's a boat that she can play on.
    It's fun to go to the Mission Tortilla Factory and Boudin Bakery to see how tortillas and sourdough bread is made.
    In Hollywood Pictures Backlot, you should go to see Aladdin, which is an awesome show and check out the Animation Studio. You can see which character is most like you!

Sorry if any of this is stuff you already know. Just trying to help. All in all, your whole group will have a blast. Enjoy!

Last edited by cinderella_girl; 03-29-2005 at 07:25 PM.

Submarine Voyage Fan
    Rocket Rods Fan
    Space Mountain Fan

Favorite Park
    disneyland
    Favorite Attraction
    grizzly river run
    Credits

Thanks for your info everybody! This is my third visit to DLR but my niece's first so i really appreciate everybody's help!

goofygma is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

Mickey DisneyWorld for a 5 yr old girl ?

This will be my great granddaughters first trip to WDW. She is a little shy, and does not like lots of noise. Can you reccommend some rides for Mackenzie? I do not wish to spoil her day with scaring her on the first ride!

She loves Peter Pan and any of the pooh characters, Eyore, piglet, Winnie,
    Thanks so much!!
    BTW .. . This is a great message board!! Wish I had found it two weeks ago. She and her mother are leaving Sat. May 28th ,2005.

Grandma Margo

batraylover is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

Make it magical

Quote Originally Posted by lizziemcguire76
    Hey everybody! My family and i are taking my five year old niece with us to DLR in september and this is her first trip.None of us have ever traveled there with a child under 10 before and i was just wondering what your tips would be? Do you think it's necessary to rent a stroller or is she too old for that? What attractions would be too much for her etc?? I'd really appreciate any info anybody has??
    Your five year old niece will have a blast at Disneyland. There are so many rides that a five year old can enjoy, that won't scare her. If she can handle spinning, then she will love The Mad Tea Party teacups, but don't eat too close to going on them. If she can't handle a lot of spinning, you could always ride them anyway, the fun music, and the atmosphere is enough to make you have a really great time. There are lots of other rides in Disneyland that a five year old will enjoy too, like the Storyland Canal boats. Some children might get antsy because it's just some houses and stuff to look at, but the boat ride is short and not too scary. Be forwarned the boat does pass through Monstro the whale's mouth (from Pinocchio) and while some children think it's really cool, others are frightened by the whale. Just remind the child that you are only in the whales mouth for a moment, and that is the only way to get into the magical world.

Other rides that a 5 year old will really enjoy are: The King Arthur's Carousel; Dumbo the flying elephant; Peter Pan; Pinocchio; Alice in Wonderland; It's a Small World; Snow White; Disneyland Railroad (especially the section that passes through Critter Country as you get to hear the Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah song and see all of the Splash Mountain critters, also the part that goes through the Grand Canyon is pretty neat);Winnie The Pooh; Jungle Cruise; Pirates of the Caribbean; Autotopia; and Gadget's coaster in Toontown. Some of the rides like Snow White can be a little intense in spots (as far as sounds and graphics go) for very young children though, but I would say if the child really likes a certain character, do the ride anyway. The rides to avoid really depend on the child's interests, if the child likes to go fast, then they might enjoy rides like Big Thunder Mountain Railroad and the Matterhorn. If the child likes slow moving rides, then those probably are not the best choices. One of the rides in Toontown (Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin) is very loud and sort of zany, it scares the heck out of other children while some think it is a blast, I guess it's all a matter of perspective and the child's likes and dislikes.

Some other things to keep in mind at Disneyland with a child that small: if you can get the kid to sit in a stroller, rent a stroller. Young children, especially if you are going to stay all day get really tired very quickly,and will love being able to sit in a stroller. Disneyland can be a lot of walking for adults, so imagine how a five year old would feel at the end of a long day.

Other things you can think about to make our niece's day magical. Contact Disneyland before you visit (give them at least a month) with your niece's favorite character, ask to have an autograph of the character. They will send your niece a black and white photo of the character that you requested with the characters autograph on it. If you give them your niece's name, they will even write a personal message on the photo just for her. These cool black and white photos serve a couple of purposes a.) they get the child all excited about the upcoming trip and b.) if your niece doesn't see her favorite character in the park, she won't be too dissappointed. Best of all, it's free. They will sometimes send an honorary citizen sticker to your child as well, if they don't you can get one at City Hall. This sticker will help make sure your niece receives special incentives and attention from cast members. You could also stop by the fire house/station on Main Street and get a junior firefighter Disneyland badge sticker, again free and kids think they are great.

Autograph books are really great for a child that age. They will enjoy taking photos with characters and getting autographs of all the characters. Be prepared to wait in line to see some of the characters, if not all of them. Try and get to Disneyland first thing in the morning (when the rope drops) if you really want to see characters (more than riding all of the rides, if you are more into riding all the rides head straight for Fantasyland or Toontown depending on your preferences). The characters all gather in various areas of Main Street and are there for a good hour after the park opens, and then various characters are there throughout the day. If you don't want to buy an autograph book at the part, go to Wal Mart or a similiar store before your trip to Disneyland, buy a spiral bound scrapbook. We bought one with a blue cover, and used a silver metallic Sharpie Marker to write Disneyland 2005 on it, and then covered the front of it with Snow White stickers. We got the stickers at Target, they have these $1 day bins in the front of their stores right now that are brimming with stickers. They aren't separated by type or anything, but we saw: Snow White, Disney Princesses, Winnie The Pooh, Tigger, Lizzie McGuire, and other popular Disney characters. And when the stickers are only $1 a pack for two sheets, the kids can go hog wild with them and you don't feel that they are wasting them. We bought a scrapbook that was under $4 and we plan to put the pictures from the trip in the scrapbook. A tip: if you are getting character autographs and photos, start with the second page (where you have two pages together) and let the character write on one page and leave the second page blank. Turn the page for the next character. When you get home, you can put the photos of your trip right next to the autographs. Wish I would have thought about that part before we went, but it will still work well putting the photos in the back of the book. We also kept our admission tickets, parking ticket, and other little things to put in the book. It might be fun to put a park map or something like that in it as well.

Pressed pennies and quarters make for really inexpensive and fun souvenirs. I read this tip somewhere, and we tried it on our most recent trip and it was a huge success. If your child is going to be a penny or quarter collector, consider buying a book before you leave for Disneyland. I think they were $6 or $8 in the park. If you don't need them in a book and just want to pick up a few for souvenirs, take two prescription pill bottles and remove the labels. Let the kids decorate the bottles with Disney stickers. In one bottle, stack the coins 2 quarters and 1 penny and keep stacking until the bottle is full. When you make the pressed pennies or quarters you can store them in the other bottle so they don't get wet, ruined, misplaced, or lost while you are at the parks. You can decorate the bottles with two different kinds of stickers. Like the Snow White bottle is done pennies and the Cinderella bottle is change for pennies, or whatever.

Pin trading is really fun for little ones. If you do not want to spend all of the money for pin trading in the parks, buy pins ahead of time. You can even buy a regular lanyard ahead of time, either with a theme on it or plain at most discount stores, as a lot of people use them to hang keys and such from. Of course they won't say Disneyland on them, but they will be a whole lot cheaper. Don't waste all day looking for specific pins to trade for or a pin that a child really, really likes. If they see a cast member with a pin that they want, let them trade it, and then if they see a pin they like better later, they can always trade it back.

Some things not to miss with a five year old girl are: Disney Princess story times, Ariel's Grotto, and the new Parade of Dreams.

Keep in mind that while Tarzan's treehouse can be a cute thing to do, the stairs can be a lot for a five year old, or even an adult for that matter to handle. The view is amazing though, so you really have to make the call on that one.

Disney kids meals come in these cartoon character lunch box looking things. These are great for storing small souvenirs in throughout the day. Not to mention a kids meal will fill a five year old up rather nicely.

Have a blast at Disneyland.

goofygma is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

Thank you for all your suggestions Grandma Margo

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS!! [replacer_img] [replacer_img]

I keep learning new tips and ideas every day. As I have said before, THIS IS THE MOST WONDERFUL SITE ON THE INTERNET!!! [replacer_img]

God Bless all of you for taking your time to respond to all the questions. I have been amazed at the speed of your replies. Can't wait to hear from my granddaughter, Mackenzie, when she returns home later this week from WDW.
    [replacer_img]
    Blessings, Grandma Margo in Indiana. ( I'm going down June 6th with my other daughter and her children) [replacer_img] [replacer_img] [replacer_img] [replacer_img]

MickeysGirl is offline TD Posting Maniac
    Favorite Park
    Disneyland
    Favorite Attraction
    POTC
    Credits

I would also suggest that prior to your trip you may want to show her videos of some of the family attractions such as PotC, HM & Jungle Cruise. Also explain that some of the rides are dark, like her bedroom at night so there will be no reason for her to be afraid. We are born with 2 fears: loud noises & falls, all others are acquired as we live. How great would it be if we could teach our children only caution.

~ MickeysGirl ºoº
    ~ Gotta Love the Mouse! ºoº

Favorite Park
    disneyland
    Favorite Attraction
    grizzly river run
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by MickeysGirl
    I would also suggest that prior to your trip you may want to show her videos of some of the family attractions such as PotC, HM & Jungle Cruise. Also explain that some of the rides are dark, like her bedroom at night so there will be no reason for her to be afraid. We are born with 2 fears: loud noises & falls, all others are acquired as we live. How great would it be if we could teach our children only caution.
    That's an awesome idea Cathe! Thanks! I was also thinking of getting her one of the lightup toys to take on the darker rides so that she won't be completely in the dark.

batraylover is offline Mousketeer
    Credits

Dark Rides

Quote Originally Posted by lizziemcguire76
    That's an awesome idea Cathe! Thanks! I was also thinking of getting her one of the lightup toys to take on the darker rides so that she won't be completely in the dark.
    Before you go, visit your local $1 store or party supply store and pick up a couple of glow necklaces. We did this when we went for my birthday, we paid $1/piece and bought 4 of them, we made two into necklaces, hung one on the back pack for light, and I gave the fourth one away (they were tri-color, so I made a blue necklace for myself, a pink necklace for my mom, and we used the yellow to light the way). They were awesome on dark rides, and looked so cool on the Haunted Mansion. That way, you don't get stuck carrying anything, when the sun goes down they light up and look so cool.

TTFN is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    WDW, all of it
    Favorite Attraction
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Credits

You are going to have a blast with your niece . We will be returning to DLR in September as well, when will you guys be there? It will be the first Disney trip for my almost 2 year old niece - the newbies take Disney by force . I love the glow necklace idea. I know my little niece will be pretty limitted in what she can go on, but even some of the younger rides are pretty dark. Won't it be fun to watch your nieces expressions as she experiences Disney for the first time? That is what I'm looking forward to the most when we take my niece. Have a magical day!!!

Let us never lose sight... it all started with a mouse-Walt Disney

Favorite Park
    disneyland
    Favorite Attraction
    grizzly river run
    Credits

Yah i'm really looking forward to seeing her reaction to her first disney trip! We're going September 13th-27th.When are you going???

TTFN is offline Cast Member
    Favorite Park
    WDW, all of it
    Favorite Attraction
    Pirates of the Carribean
    Credits

We are going Sep 10 - Sep 17. Maybe we can find a time to meet and get a picture of the two new converts together .

Let us never lose sight... it all started with a mouse-Walt Disney

Favorite Park
    disneyland
    Favorite Attraction
    grizzly river run
    Credits

Quote Originally Posted by TTFN
    We are going Sep 10 - Sep 17. Maybe we can find a time to meet and get a picture of the two new converts together .
    Sounds awesome!!! Any other tders gonna be there during this time???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast